Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Man, they don't make 'em like they used to
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Man, they don't make 'em like they used to

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe they will start making todays RVs in the C country and quality will improve or how about clf. You reckon????

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1999 Sunnybrook 27RKS 5th wheel. Aluminum framed, aluminum smooth-wall exterior. If they actually made something today of this quality, I might be enticed to hand the keys to it to someone and buy something new. So, the premise of past quality holds true for a few units, I know for a fact.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

Maybe they will start making todays RVs in the C country and quality will improve. You reckon????

As long as they are made in a state where the minimum wage is $7.25/hour, don't expect much.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

Maybe they will start making todays RVs in the C country and quality will improve. You reckon????

As long as they are made in a state where the minimum wage is $7.25/hour, don't expect much.

Yes well in 2003 in Indiana I doubt if the minimum wage was even $7.00 and my R-Vision there was made good quality for my 15 years of hard use. There were also other Good quality brand TTs made there also during that time according to comments I have read on RV forums over the years. I am not familiar with today's RVs and no longer attend the RV shows.

Management and shareholders attitude about quality is a major player along with complacent buy in a hurry attitudes of many new RVers.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/21 01:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Oh, smug condescension for all those uneducated Neanderthals in the flyover states - Nice!

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/21 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No doubt minimum wage is too low, but that's not a relative point in this thread.

The things I was calling out were all about design: a thin strap secured with a self tapping screw to support hundreds of pounds of holding tank, water lines not protected from the cold, non-insulated floors, etc.

That kind of stuff has significantly narrowed my choices for the next RV.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wife loves to camp so that burdens me to keep junk functional.
We're on our 4th trailer from various manufacturers and always wear my toolbelt.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/21 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the problem is still RVs are built one at a time like a house. You never know if an individual one is going to be bad or not.

There’s not a lot of innovation for the past few years other than floorplans. No reason to buy new unless you just want to.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my 1993 Cobra Sunrise for many of the reason you said. The water lines are inside, the fresh water tank is inside under the bed, and I think may my floor might even me plywood.

Another reason I love it is that it's simple, basic, and only 22 foot long. These days the new ones are all to super long, and have slide outs. I don't want either of those.

Unfortunately the roof is getting purdy bad and it's been though 2 hail storms. It starting to look like a golf ball. lol

Finding a replacement like the one I want is getting so difficult I'm thinking of just getting a really nice big tent.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen vids of old vs new rv TTs...5th wheel trailers...truck campers that showed how bad those older units were.
JMO but vids message on one particular trailer doesn't mean all trailer brands or brand lines are like that.
Having worked on those older rv trailers I'll take a new any day over those old trailers.

Yeah we had cheap built trailers back then also and their horror stories.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Man, they don't make 'em like they used to
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.