Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 400 mile electric RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 400 mile electric RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 25  
Prev  |  Next
rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

BTW, two years ago we took a cruse ship through Prince William Sound (recall Exxon Valdez spill…) , whereby the Cruse Director stated that the sound had returned to it’s original condition…I was kinda doubtful, but with otters, whales and dolphins in the waters, I could see no signs of residual oil anywhere or on any shoreline, in fact the entire area looked absolutely pristine - thankfully, this is nature’s way…

A 10 million gallon oil spill is not a good example of how oil is harmless. 30 years later and everything looks normal on the surface, but you don't have to dig too deep to find lingering effects from the spill. 19 of the 24 species have largely recovered, but the others still haven't fully recovered:

Quote:

The AT1 pod of locally distinct killer whales has yet to recover, and likely never will. The day of the spill, members of the pod were photographed swimming in oiled waters near the ruptured tanker. As detailed by Alaskan author and marine biologist Eva Saulitis, who studied the killer whales of Prince William Sound for many years, the oiled animals’ subsequent disappearance, possibly along with other factors, permanently undercut the survival of the pod. Today, the small pod drifts toward extinction.

Impacts reach land, too. Prior to the spill, the rugged Naked Island archipelago in the central part of Prince William Sound was critical breeding habitat for pigeon guillemots and other seabirds, which nest in bluffs above the water where they forage for fish. The islands took a direct hit from the spill and guillemot populations never recovered. Recently, biologists took the dramatic step of killing mink on the islands, hoping that removal of the egg-eating predators might restore the birds.

Now go visit Orange County beaches and let everyone know that they can rest assured that in a few decades, they'll hardly see a sign of the oil.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No doubt spills are not harmless (for the record I’ve yet to meet anyone who’s suggested they are) , but they are not permanent - are we to suppose that natures remediation process is not still underway??… And in a way aren’t we all somewhat responsible for this accident due to our relentless First World life style cravings??…On an RV forum, it seems strangely odd to not sense a kinda virtue laden “fault thee but not me” contradiction here (but admittedly that’s just me)…Either way, the accident did result in the requirement for double hulled oil tankers (a good example of cogent Gov’t Regulation), but as far as EV mandates go (i.e.based on notions of lowering CO2, but minus any non-politicized proof), cogent policy making has yet to make manifest…In my view it’ll take an informed citizen-body to demand such…

3 tons

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Now go visit Orange County beaches and let everyone know that they can rest assured that in a few decades, they'll hardly see a sign of the oil.”…So moving forward your point is??…

3 tons

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All this fuss about the environment (deservedly so…) found me yearning for a bit of ‘environmental humor’ from the Late Great George Carlin (disclaimer, no pretense of real science - lol)…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHgJKrmbYfg

3 tons

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing but factual. After WW II Pacific Islanders demonstrated to have "whatever happened to sunken Japanese tankers, to 'do it again' because the fish harvest was magnitudes better than it was during even village elder's lifetimes"

I thought it was a joke ha-ha until my father extracted commission news accounts of native behavior. Including photographs. It was theorized bunker oil had supplied the bottom of the food chain.

With my generator day tank. Algae growth is 100 times greater in water at the bottom of the tank than it is with our untreated well water.

I am posting this solely for its curiosity value and not as a political statement.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got this from a pal:

The Keystone pipeline upon completion would carry more than 800,000 barrels or 33.6 million gallons of oil through the pipeline per day. With no harmful emissions.

A Barrel of Oil is 42 gallons, not to be confused with a Drum which is 55 gallons.

Because a gallon of oil weighs between 7.5 and 7.8 lbs. per gallon, most trucks can't carry but up to 130 barrels of oil at a time without violating our department of transportation laws of 80,000 lbs. on our roadways. That's truck and cargo weight,

It would take 6,154 more trucks going just from Canada to the Gulf Coast for that same oil and that's every single day.

Now a rail car holds approx. 30,000 gallons or 700 barrels.

It would take trains every day pulling 1,143 more rail cars per day. just pulling the oil from that pipeline from Canada to the Gulf Coast.

Trains and Trucks emitting more emissions and burning more fuel that would be eliminated by the pipeline.

So when they tell you this is about the environment, it is not; that would be false…

3 tons

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/21 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

So when they tell you this is about the environment, it is not; that would be false…

3 tons
OK and Canada is already in process to expand the existing pipeline within their own border to export to the east coast. There will be no trucks or trains needed. Just not needed. Especially the environmental risk.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

The Keystone pipeline upon completion would carry more than 800,000 barrels or 33.6 million gallons of oil through the pipeline per day. With no harmful emissions.

We should use this "no harmful emissions" energy source to power the world, because a pipeline definitely consumes energy to pipe hot crude, albeit less than trucking it.

Quote:

The environment is more than just emissions -- one of the biggest environmental complaints was about the impact of spills, and the pipeline operator doesn't have a good track record - in existing Keystone pipeline segments, they had a 380,000 gallon spill in 2019, and 400,000 gallon spill in 2017, along with a number of smaller spills.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what is a spill...750 barrels before it is called a spill. Dreadful.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

3 tons wrote:

3 tons
OK and Canada is already in process to expand the existing pipeline within their own border to export to the east coast. There will be no trucks or trains needed. Just not needed. Especially the environmental risk.

Actually this proposal is being blocked by eastern Canadian political interests at every turn.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 25  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 400 mile electric RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.