Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Broke my hitch pin today
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Broke my hitch pin today

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

deltabravo wrote:

Whangler wrote:

I've never liked that 3"-2" adapter set up. Think I'll visit the welder when I get home for some mods to the receiver.

Replace the hitch shank with a 3" version.
"Modifying" a trailer hitch by welding on it is never a good idea.

Hi deltabravo - why do you question welding a hitch shank using proper workmanship?

How, exactly, do you ensure "proper workmanship?"

I'm not an expert in welding. Most people aren't.

I do not know what goes into the design of a hitch shank. Most people don't.

I don't know anyone who could tell me with certainty that something as critical as a hitch shank is constructed with "proper workmanship." Most people don't either.

How do I know that someone didn't just lay a pretty "stack of dimes" but got ZERO penetration in the weld? How do I know that the builder didn't put too much heat into the weld making it brittle? Short answer is I don't, until the trailer decides to part company with the truck. Then it's too late. Will the fabricator stand behind his work, or when you point at him and say, "His fault," will he claim to have never seen you before in his life?

At least something commercially made has a big nameless faceless corporation and a fat liability policy for the other guy's lawyers to go after.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Whangler

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK fellas,OP here, mea culpa. Its a 2.5" hitch receiver and I'm using a genuine GM reducer to 2". There's a bit of play between the reducer and the hitch receiver and lots of play between the 2" shank and receiving end of the adapter.

I should have known that all these HD trucks would have a standard equipment hitch receiver that fits available WD shanks. Now I see there are readily available 2.5" WD shanks that fit my equalizer system. Thats what I shall get after this trip.
Thanks for your help!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perfect [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

I has another question for the OP - why is there a "3 inch" receiver on a pickup truck?

Or does it have 3x3x .250 tubing reciever which = 2-1/2" inside which would be the 2-1/2" receiver hitch like my Ford F350?

Alot of newer Super Dutys have 3" receivers now as well.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just weld the adapter to the stinger and be done with it. You can buy extra adapters and a cheap hitch shank if needed for say a utility trailer etc.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/21 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whangler wrote:

I should have known that all these HD trucks would have a standard equipment hitch receiver that fits available WD shanks. Now I see there are readily available 2.5" WD shanks that fit my equalizer system. Thats what I shall get after this trip.
Thanks for your help!

That's the right way to do it. Just so you know, there are many made with the 3" receivers and there is little that will fit.

There have been reports of pins being bent when using the adapters going from 2-1/2" to 2".

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

noteven wrote:

deltabravo wrote:

Whangler wrote:

I've never liked that 3"-2" adapter set up. Think I'll visit the welder when I get home for some mods to the receiver.

Replace the hitch shank with a 3" version.
"Modifying" a trailer hitch by welding on it is never a good idea.

Hi deltabravo - why do you question welding a hitch shank using proper workmanship?

How, exactly, do you ensure "proper workmanship?"

I'm not an expert in welding. Most people aren't.

I do not know what goes into the design of a hitch shank. Most people don't.

I don't know anyone who could tell me with certainty that something as critical as a hitch shank is constructed with "proper workmanship." Most people don't either.

How do I know that someone didn't just lay a pretty "stack of dimes" but got ZERO penetration in the weld? How do I know that the builder didn't put too much heat into the weld making it brittle? Short answer is I don't, until the trailer decides to part company with the truck. Then it's too late. Will the fabricator stand behind his work, or when you point at him and say, "His fault," will he claim to have never seen you before in his life?

At least something commercially made has a big nameless faceless corporation and a fat liability policy for the other guy's lawyers to go after.

If you do not know good welding workmanship from not good, why do you talk about stacks of dimes, heat control etc

How does a mild steel welded piece fail, generally?

Trust me - a trailer hitch shank is not a huge challenge for a professional welder anywhere there is a certification program for the trade.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whangler wrote:

OK fellas,OP here, mea culpa. Its a 2.5" hitch receiver and I'm using a genuine GM reducer to 2". There's a bit of play between the reducer and the hitch receiver and lots of play between the 2" shank and receiving end of the adapter.

Thanks for your help!

Ya had us going there fixing that 3" problem for ya! hahahaha

Anyways there is a whole herd of 2-1/2" receiver WD shanks available to choose from. You are away to the races.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

Just weld the adapter to the stinger and be done with it.

It will still have a lot of slop and play in it.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Timmo!

South-central Oregon...on the river

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I missed it, but did the OP ever locate the "broken hitch pin"?

Could the issue be "operator error"? And not "equipment failure"?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Broke my hitch pin today
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.