Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2015 Ford Focus flat tow damage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> 2015 Ford Focus flat tow damage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you had any communications with Roadmaster about the failure and the connection point?

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

A Jeep Wrangler or a base model 1/2 ton 4X4 will be under 5k lbs.

Right, but as I said in my post, 'unless you want a small SUV or pickup...'.

Everything you mention here is just that, either a SUV or pickup.

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis
See it here

j wackerly

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/21 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy wrote:

Have you had any communications with Roadmaster about the failure and the connection point?
I did send my photo to roadmaster . I have not heard back yet ?

j wackerly

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The consumer is stuck in the middle if you tow a unibody car . Did Ford or Roadmaster do there home work on the stress on a unibody car ? They are going to point there fingers at the consumer because nobody but you installed it . The car I replace it with a Buick SUV . The dealer probably thot I was crazy because i got under under the car in the show room looking at the way the unibody was made . The unibody was all one piece and the Roadmaster base plate had 8 bolts on each side not 3 like the Ford . I hope i made the right choice . It is a shame the consumer has to a structure engineer in this case .

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/21 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j wackerly wrote:

Y-Guy wrote:

I did send my photo to roadmaster . I have not heard back yet ?

Thanks, that is sort of what I would expect. Sadly, in this day and age of lawsuits many will not respond. While I personally think each part car & baseplate worked fine on its own they did not work together as the consumer would expect. I wish you the best with your new toad! Thanks for sharing the problem you ran into, though I wish it hadn't happened in the first place.

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j wackerly wrote:

I have done some research on base plates and nobody makes a base plate that extends past where my failed at . If you look at the photo on page 4 . This is where the base plate should extend to .

I agree, it looks like none of the baseplate manufacturers have done a good design job for the Focus. A lot of them make sub par baseplates for the Wrangler too. The fix for this design flaw is almost always a short little cable to attach to another location in case the primary attachment point comes apart. Even that kind of indicates the baseplate manufacturer knows there's a problem.

Unfortunately, it's up to the consumer to figure it out. Shouldn't be that way but it is. I suppose the Focus used by the baseplate manufacturer for the initial design could have been manufactured differently than subsequent years. The baseplate guys should be sure of that before telling a customer "yeah, it'll work."

I put it in the same category as the RV sales person who says "sure your F-150 can pull a 40' bumper pull toy hauler with no WDH". But it happens.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> 2015 Ford Focus flat tow damage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.