Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck and accessories for New Popup Camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck and accessories for New Popup Camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Geewizard

WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been carrying my Outfitter Apex 8 for years on a Tundra. The last time I weighed it (full up weight), it was at 2200 lbs. I've never had any issues. I do have load range E 10 ply tires and Air Lift air bags but nothing else.

I can only relate my experience with Toyota Tundra trucks of which I am a firm believer. They are NOT 1/2 ton trucks.

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
2 Fullriver 100AH AGM batteries
Compressor fridge
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

You need to use the GVWR of the camper to pick a truck - and make sure you leave enough payload for tiedowns and anything else you add to the truck.

Do campers even have GVWRs?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/21 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geewizard wrote:

I've been carrying my Outfitter Apex 8 for years on a Tundra. The last time I weighed it (full up weight), it was at 2200 lbs. I've never had any issues. I do have load range E 10 ply tires and Air Lift air bags but nothing else.

I can only relate my experience with Toyota Tundra trucks of which I am a firm believer. They are NOT 1/2 ton trucks.

It looks like the Tundra double cab has a payload of about 1450lbs. That doesn't sound like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Geewizard

WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Geewizard wrote:

It looks like the Tundra double cab has a payload of about 1450lbs. That doesn't sound like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

Ok, how about a 0.725 ton? I've seen payload of about 1600lbs depending on model. That's 0.8 ton.

All I'm saying is that it works, works well, and I have never felt unsafe. Of course, what you do is up to you.

* This post was edited 09/13/21 01:41pm by Geewizard *

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/21 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

You need to use the GVWR of the camper to pick a truck - and make sure you leave enough payload for tiedowns and anything else you add to the truck.

Do campers even have GVWRs?

Sorry. My next post clarified that they do not. That makes it more difficult to guess at your loaded weight.

im5150too

The Great Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Near as I can tell, the VAST majority of folks buying the lightweight and popup campers sold specifically for 1/2 ton trucks, are likely overloading them according to the specs. My dealer continues to say I would be fine with the F150 V8 with it's 2240 lb payload, and he sells many to Tundra and other truck owners with lesser payloads, which is most of them.

I tend to err way on the side of caution, but it is curious that the manufacturers and dealers aren't being sued out of existence, if it was a huge problem. I'll buy an 3/4 ton if I have to, but I'm going to at least study beefing up an F150 instead, since I'm not that far out of the ballpark, if any.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geewizard wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Geewizard wrote:

Ok, how about a 0.725 ton? I've seen payload of about 1600lbs depending on model. That's 0.8 ton.

All I'm saying is that it works, works well, and I have never felt unsafe. Of course, what you do is up to you.

My point was more that a tundra with a 1450lb payload doesn't really compare to an F150 with a 2200lb payload. 600lbs is a lot of additional cargo.

I get that you have no problems with your setup. Everyone has different ideas on how close to the numbers you should stay or if you can go over. My opinion is that if someone is asking, then they don't have the background/knowledge to disregard the numbers. What is a comfortable drive for Person A is a white knuckle drive for Person B. Until you have experience, you really don't know where you fit in that range - so it's better to stay within the numbers.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/21 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

im5150too wrote:

According to Ford, the F250's I'm looking at have a payload between 3450 and 3550, which should give me that margin I was looking for.

That's a much better number. You will want to watch the indivual axle ratings.

Not a chance you’ll overload any full floater axle with a camper like the OP is considering unless one literally fills it full of rocks

Thanks for that info.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

im5150too wrote:

Near as I can tell, the VAST majority of folks buying the lightweight and popup campers sold specifically for 1/2 ton trucks, are likely overloading them according to the specs. My dealer continues to say I would be fine with the F150 V8 with it's 2240 lb payload, and he sells many to Tundra and other truck owners with lesser payloads, which is most of them.

I tend to err way on the side of caution, but it is curious that the manufacturers and dealers aren't being sued out of existence, if it was a huge problem. I'll buy an 3/4 ton if I have to, but I'm going to at least study beefing up an F150 instead, since I'm not that far out of the ballpark, if any.

For me, I would not take the opinion of an RV dealer. Many have never even driven a truck, let alone ever having hauled or towed anything. Find someone you can trust to give you recommendations. Look at it this way, would you trust a simple "no problem, I sell them like that all time" or Grit Dog's detailed explanation? One is just pushing a product, the other is providing you with the knowledge to make a good decision.

I don't always agree with Grit Dog, but I respect him. I can't say the same for an RV salesman.

* This post was edited 09/13/21 04:02pm by toedtoes *

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind that there are more 1/2T trucks on the road then 3/4+1T trucks combined representing a HUGE market that a few manufacturers attempt to tap into with products.

Then consider that RV salespeople quite often failed as (used) car salespeople and programmed in their DNA is to say ANYTHING to make the sale. They usually know very little (if anything) about what they are selling or how to use it.

- Mark0.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck and accessories for New Popup Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.