Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Kia, Hyundai: Please come to the rescue "Pathetic Quality"
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Kia, Hyundai: Please come to the rescue "Pathetic Quality"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
vtraudt

Brighton, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the market is ripe for a 'disrupter'. Maybe foreign builders need to enter the market to wake up the "Indiana RV Maffia"

"One West Coast dealer echoed those thoughts. “My greatest fear now is watching the motorized RV industry get toppled,” he said. “They just don’t have the expertise to complete a motorhome in Northern Indiana anymore. Their labor force has no eye for quality and they have no way of teaching it. The industry is ripe for someone else to step in and start producing quality products, but it will likely have to be someplace other than Indiana. Right now, if the workers there get
upset by something, they just walk off because it’s easy to get a job in Elkhart right now.”

https://www.rvtravel.com/pathetic-quality-rv-dealers-fed-manufacturers-producing-1017b/?fbclid=IwAR2teVjEoUA7FN2L5rJzIU89iYB3WXm9dyZ8Wu309q_2BSBiX0UVYKrj7cw

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/21 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wasn't taught to blame workers or soldiers...mostly kids. I was taught that not completing successfully a task was a lack of leadership.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon]

Oh great, yet another sniveling, whining post over poor quality of RVs due to lack of or cheaply paid employees on this forum..

There is already a thread established with the same link I believe HERE

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV build quality isn't just a worker issue.

In boom times (like we're currently experiencing), most RV manufacturers aren't particularly concerned about the quality of their products. There are plenty of first-time RV buyers who aren't knowledgeable or experienced about what makes a quality product, and they're more likely to accept shoddy quality when inventory is scarce.

As the automotive industry already knows, there are ways of designing products that make their assembled quality largely independent of the quality of the people doing the assembling.

However, doing so usually requires a heavy investment in R&D, specialized tooling, etc. - Things your typical RV manufacturer isn't interested in paying for.

Right now, for most of them, cheap and shoddy is good enough.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/21 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is my sniveling and whining. I bought a new Kubota tractor with loader and backhoe on May 3. The basic tractor is made in Japan, the remainder is made in Georgia, guess which parts are made wrong and assembled wrong. This is Sept. 19th and the thing is still not right and Kubota has no clue on how it should be fixed. They refuse to refund the money and I may need to get some assistance in the matter. It certainly appears that we have lost so much and many do not deserve a job. My point is that it ain't just the RV industry, even higher end products are having issues.

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Market forces will take care of everything. Patience must be exercised.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/21 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t blame the line workers, blame the management for not doing a proper job of inspecting the work product at each step of the process. Most RV’s are built by hand unlike the modern automotive industry which uses a lot of robots and other automated processes. Ours was built missing a rear window, was missing floor heat register, the Dura Shield on the front had to be replaced twice as it came from the factory looking like bubble wrap. Yes the workers may have made an error, but obvious stuff should have been caught. What really frost my buttocks though is the crappy furniture and appliances that go into these things.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV's are essentially hand built with no continuity. It costs money to build with quality, and consumers have not been willing to spend the money.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

RV's are essentially hand built with no continuity. It costs money to build with quality, and consumers have not been willing to spend the money.

I don't think that is quite true. Japan took the automotive industry by storm way back when. Japanese imports were not necessarily cheaper than American made they were just better quality.
Americans made their purchases based on quality not price.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

Don’t blame the line workers, blame the management for not doing a proper job of inspecting the work product at each step of the process. Most RV’s are built by hand unlike the modern automotive industry which uses a lot of robots and other automated processes. Ours was built missing a rear window, was missing floor heat register, the Dura Shield on the front had to be replaced twice as it came from the factory looking like bubble wrap. Yes the workers may have made an error, but obvious stuff should have been caught. What really frost my buttocks though is the crappy furniture and appliances that go into these things.

I agree. Workers may make mistakes or be careless. They may miss a screw or forget to glue something, etc, but when an RV goes out missing an actual window? That is the company as a whole not giving a [email protected] That is not because the workers are incompetent or not paid enough. That is because management and above don't care.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Kia, Hyundai: Please come to the rescue "Pathetic Quality"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.