Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Black Eye
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Black Eye

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Interesting topic...

I drove e big rig and fully understand where the driver was coming from.. We all were also new to driving at 1 time, BUT I could never run 15 mph UNDER the limit without worrying about people behind me.

If you wanna do 15 under, look for spots to pull over and allow folks who are not afraid, or are not having issues pass you.

Sometimes people have to live OUTSIDE THEIR world.

If ya can't run the posted speed you should move to right lane and hit the flashers. In a short amount a time you will get the "Blue Light Special".

They think they are being "SAFE" but in reality they are causing more chances for an accident.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ride MotorCycle a lot in Mountains with windy roads with lots of pull outs. AMAZING how many fly past the pull outs. Scenario is they are constantly on their brakes going around the corners at WAYYY under a safe speed then they fly like HE!! to the next corner so I can't safely pass. VERY frustrating.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It never ceases to amaze me that many truckers are working for the man and drive like crazy. They don't get any "at a boys " from the owner or company but rather will be fired for a accident. So why take chances or drive in a unsafe manner.
Few companies reward safe drivers. This includes all trucks. Dump, gravel, 18 wheeler, delivery trucks etc.
Slow down guys you won't be fired for being safe but will be for accidents.

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Based on responses from this thread, we can see why there is no firm pull over, don't impede traffic rule.
It seems we all have a different approach / standard as to what s acceptable when it comes to a line of traffic behind you.

Actually every state has laws against impeding the flow of traffic. Most state that anytime there are 5 or more vehicles {and yes the number varies from state to state} behind you pulling over at the first available turnout is mandatory with failure to do being grounds for an expensive ticket. Sadly LEO's are spread pretty thin and enforcement is spotty at best.

Additionally any LEO can and will cite you if you are in any way impeding the normal flow of traffic, their call. Just sayin...

[emoticon]

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me that many truckers are working for the man and drive like crazy. They don't get any "at a boys " from the owner or company but rather will be fired for a accident. So why take chances or drive in a unsafe manner.
Few companies reward safe drivers. This includes all trucks. Dump, gravel, 18 wheeler, delivery trucks etc.
Most truckers are paid by the mile. Others, they work until the job is done. For either, going as fast as legally possible will benefit them. They will either get more money since they drive more miles in their federally allotted driving window or they get done sooner and can go home. "The man" has nothing to do with either.
Would you feel the same about an employee who worked in slow motion if their job was a cashier at the grocery store or a clerk at the DMV? I bet if you were in one of those lines you wouldn't like it.
Even "the man" has the right to expect his employees to work to the best of their ability. If I ever had an employee who deliberately worked at half speed because he was paid by the hour, they would quickly become an ex-employee.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many on these forums are, or were truckers. I used to feel the truckers were the most courteous, safest drivers, that I shared the road with. This is no longer true, IMO. They will tailgate you, crowd you, cut right in front, after passing, even when no one is behind. Last time changing a flat, most cars saw my flashers, moved over when possible. Nope...not the truckers, they never moved, or even slowed down. Yup, they had a job to do, which was much more important than safety, or possible injury/death.

I will say, most drivers are more careless these days, not just the truckers.

Jerry

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I ride MotorCycle a lot in Mountains with windy roads with lots of pull outs. AMAZING how many fly past the pull outs. Scenario is they are constantly on their brakes going around the corners at WAYYY under a safe speed then they fly like HE!! to the next corner so I can't safely pass. VERY frustrating.

I have to say, riding safe is most important, and most of us ride for pleasure, so don't have to hurry.

While not every one enjoys riding a light weight, high horsepower rocket, they are a BLAST to ride in the mountains, with curves! Even the inconsiderate drivers do not frustrate, as a pass is just a flick of the throttle, and done, even if those drivers are accelerating from one curve to next.

Kind of like towing with a diesel, when used to towing with a gasser! [emoticon]

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I have to say, riding safe is most important, and most of us ride for pleasure, so don't have to hurry."

100% agree. Just frustrating when I am right behind them thru the corners and they are not nice enough to move over so I can safely pass. Hy HOG is not a Rocket so I am careful.

Most people do move over so us MC guys can enjoy the curves.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

bgum wrote:

Most truckers are paid by the mile. Others, they work until the job is done. For either, going as fast as legally possible will benefit them. They will either get more money since they drive more miles in their federally allotted driving window or they get done sooner and can go home. "The man" has nothing to do with either.
Would you feel the same about an employee who worked in slow motion if their job was a cashier at the grocery store or a clerk at the DMV? I bet if you were in one of those lines you wouldn't like it.
Even "the man" has the right to expect his employees to work to the best of their ability. If I ever had an employee who deliberately worked at half speed because he was paid by the hour, they would quickly become an ex-employee.

I said all trucks and I am sure that "most" are not paid by the mile. What we are talking about here are not the ones that are going "as fast as legally possible ". We are talking about the speeders tailgaters intimidators. If your not in this category then why are you supporting their action? If you are in that category how are you going to feel when you kill a family?

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that you can't judge from the OP.

I've ignored pull outs that I'm sure another RV driver wouldn't hesitate to use. At the same time, I'll pull over in situations where another wouldn't.

For me, the biggest issue is the driver who rides so close behind me that I can't see him. Then he gets irritated because I don't move over for him. If he would back off so I knew he was there, I would be happy to pull over or at least move closer to the right so he could see around me and safely pass.

I'll add that my pull over habits are different depending on if I'm driving the motorhome or towing the trailer or just driving a car.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Black Eye
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.