Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: hydro or electric leveling
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> hydro or electric leveling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
SUMRX4

VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So wife and I just returned from the show in Hershey and are no closer to knowing the "one" than before we left. [emoticon]
If anything I now have more questions.
Those of you that have possibly owned a unit with both hydraulic and electric leveling jacks, which do you prefer and why? I realize hydro is faster but I'm not concerned with speed. If more concerned with ease of use, reliability, maintenance (if any) and bypass ability should something fail.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had both, and will only ever have hydraulic going forward.

Much faster, more reliable, more convenient, etc.

We had issues with gears (sheared one) and motors (burned one out) on our electric jacks. On our hydraulic system, the only issue we ever had was a leaking seal that still allowed the system to work until it was replaced. I think you can get auto-leveling with electric now, but auto-leveling with hydraulic is all that was available (I think) when we purchased, and it's a feature I wouldn't want to go without.

You can easily lift the whole trailer with the hydraulics - not something I recommend doing - but it's gotten us out of a pinch on more than one occasion. Once for an emergency suspension repair, and once for getting us unstuck. I don't believe the electric jacks are capable of that.

* This post was edited 09/20/21 02:29pm by n0arp *

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/21 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hydraulic......Bigfoot to be specific! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've only had the hydraulic auto-level system, but IMO it would be better than electric. With hydraulic, there is one pump and six/four cylinders. Electric would have six/four electric motors and accompanying gears. I prefer the KISS principle.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/21 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had both. I've experienced a leaky manifold (replaced it myself with part supplied under warranty) with the LCI hydraulic system and had to add CAT anti-stiction fluid to stop the annoying popping sounds. On the other hand, it will lift the trailer off the ground one side at a time to change a tire.

The electric system was much slower and I didn't trust it to lift one side of the trailer (not as robust). A couple of pros for the electric systems - especially ones with the new hall effect motors - is that they are more easily user-repaired.

Bottom line: I don't know that I'd let hydraulic vs. electric make the decision for me. I would be more concerned about a floorplan that would work for us.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electric has one motor to fail. Hydro has a motor, the hydraulic pump, rams, and hoses that can fail. You can decide from there.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/21 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Electric has one motor to fail. Hydro has a motor, the hydraulic pump, rams, and hoses that can fail. You can decide from there.

The new electric systems have a motor on each strut.

Rob

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had issues with my hydraulic levelers.
bumpy

griffy00

Grants Pass, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We replaced our electric levelers with the BigFoot hydraulic levelers. One major drawback: There is NO manual override should one of the BigFoot hydraulic jacks fail. Recently we had one of the front jacks fail to retract and we could not move the trailer in that condition. I called the BigFoot 24 hour tech line and they diagnosed a pump failure. To raise the jack for travel we had to bleed 64 ounces of ATF fluid (what a mess!) and obtain a floor jack to raise the failed jack. I understand that there are some hydraulic jack systems that do have a manual override.

'05 Ford F350 Supercab V10 SRW 430 Rearend
33.5' '05 Discover America CKQG LS NuWa Hitchhiker
Reese Signature Series 18K Hitch

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're on our third unit with the Lippert Level-Up Hydraulic system and combined we've covered 100K miles with very little issue. Traveled to the Canadian Maritime with Friends and their brand new Jayco Pinnacle and they had nothing but problems, including one front landing gear ripping loose from the frame. They now have a unit with the Level-Up and no problems.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> hydro or electric leveling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.