Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: 2021 Outback & Mini Max
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 2021 Outback & Mini Max

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/21 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d vote for a pop up vs. a travel trailer. Just not enough vehicle especially with the CVT. That tow rating is more for a utility type trailer.
I’ve had Subarus for the last 30 years, my kids drive ‘em as do my in laws. Absolutely love ours, but I wouldn’t tow anything more tha than a pop up.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a web site you can visit and become a member to ask actual member users .

Nucamp tab forum. Or nucamp tag forum.
There you may find someone actually towing with the TV and rv you are asking about.

There is also a Little Guy Minimal forum and a face book forum also.

Good luck in your research.

* This post was edited 09/21/21 08:40am by bgum *

RinconRick

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all...good info and lots more to think about. We're not buying anything until I know it's a comfortable fit all the way around.

Thanks again.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RinconRick wrote:

Thank you ktmrfs...appreciate the information, lots to digest!

The empty weight of the camper I'm interested in (the Mini Max) is actually 1,991 pounds. 2,900 is the gross weight allowed (sorry if I didn't get that right). Does this change anything in your mind, or should I still figure out a way to downsize?

Thanks very much again.

the empty weight and tongue weight now make more sense. closer to the expected 12-15%.

A lot depends on where you go, how often you go and how long the drive is. IMHO your still pushing the limit for the outback, especially if it has a CVT transmission that is common on many outbacks. Short trips on flat ground, may not be much of an issue. Many hills or mountain climbs with a CVT AND a trailer in tow, near the combined weight limit you (and the car) may not do well.

do a web search on CVT transmission and you may see what some of the limitations are.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is your Outback an XT model? If so, then you have the same power as the Ascent which is rated for much higher tow rating. Suspension is weaker which can be addressed after you try to tow that RV.. The CVT is fine, although I do recommend using manual mode and "shifting yourself" in manual mode so the belt isn't always changing ratios or unlocking the torque convertor. CVTs have a bad reputation from 2005, but I am not hearing of common recent failures of 2015+ models even from abuse.

I tow an open landscape trailer, 12x6.5 with about 2500 pounds loaded (and no brakes [emoticon] ) with my 3.6L and CVT. I would be comfortable towing that Little Guy teardrop with mine. I can monitor the trans temperature through my infotainment system, and I expect that is still available with the later 11" screen. If the temps get over say 240* F for short times or 210* F for 30min+, then a transmission shop can install a higher capacity cooler than stock.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

RinconRick

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi APT...yes, it's the 2021 Outback XT (Touring) model. Subaru rates it at 3500 pounds tow-capable, and the tongue limit is 350. It would mean paying strict attention to what I'm loading and where (in both the Outback and the teardrop) each time I use it, but I'm pretty good at that sort of thing. I think I'm going to rent a small uhaul trailer and test how it does at various weights.

RinconRick

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty good reason to go on a diet finally! [emoticon]

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RinconRick wrote:

Hi APT...yes, it's the 2021 Outback XT (Touring) model. Subaru rates it at 3500 pounds tow-capable, and the tongue limit is 350. It would mean paying strict attention to what I'm loading and where (in both the Outback and the teardrop) each time I use it, but I'm pretty good at that sort of thing. I think I'm going to rent a small uhaul trailer and test how it does at various weights.

APT is a reliable source of information!

As to renting a uhaul, try to get one with similar frontal area, height/width. With TTs/cargo trailers, it is more about towing a large box into the wind, than the actual wt.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 2021 Outback & Mini Max
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.