Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Truck not getting fuel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck not getting fuel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 03 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 liter is having fuel issues and I am looking for some input before towing it to a shop. I was driving home from the lake with boat in tow a week ago and the truck coughed and died in the middle of an intersection. It was not getting fuel and had it towed home. I had a new pump at home so I put it in. This was just the pump and not the whole module. The truck still did not start right away, but eventually did and ran fine so I drove it all week without issue. On Saturday I was 100 miles from home and it happened again.
No security light on and I tried swapping the relay and that was a no go so it was towed the 100 miles home. I have been doing some reading about the connectors on the original fuel pump housing failing or causing issues so I am thinking that could be the issue. Before I put a whole new assembly in I thought I would reach out and see if anyone has any ideas. Would a failing plug randomly quit working ? I know unplugging it and plugging it back in could possibly be why the truck ran after the new pump.

I have also not ruled out the Passlock security even though the security light is not on. I have tried the passlock relearn procedure several times with no luck. My plan is to lower the tank enough to get at the connector and see if power is getting to the pump. Any other suggestions before I have a shop fix it ? Sorry so long winded, but I wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/21 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked the plug for a solid connection? It could be the engine vibrations are knocking it loose.

I had a datsun with a fuel pump that intermittently stopped working. It would die while I was driving down the road and would be working when the mechanic checked it out (of course).

Have you checked the fuel filters?

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Have you checked the plug for a solid connection? It could be the engine vibrations are knocking it loose.

I had a datsun with a fuel pump that intermittently stopped working. It would die while I was driving down the road and would be working when the mechanic checked it out (of course).

Have you checked the fuel filters?

I have checked the plug for a good connection. It could use a new filter, but I don't think a filter would just instantly stall the vehicle unplug and the drive fine for 200 miles and stop dead again. I have a new filter, but the line is rusted in and out of the filter so I can't get it off. I will be replacing them soon.
I was able to unplug the connector without lowering the tank however I cannot check for power yet. Some dummy (me) left the key on and drained the battery. Now I have to wait until it is charged. If everything checks out at the plug then would it be safe to assume that I should install a whole new pump assembly ?

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/21 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would start with the filter and clogged line. It needs to be replaced anyway and could be the problem. If the clog is loose bits, it could jiggle around and let fuel through some of the time and not other times. I had a kidney stone like that - sometimes it turned and blocked things, other times it sat on it's end and fluid ran through without issue. [emoticon]

If that doesn't fix it, and since you've already replaced the pump only, I would then go to replacing the whole assembly.

Note, someone with more experience may have better advice.

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

(UPDATE) I have the connector disconnected from the pump. I tested the ground at the connector and it is good. I had my wife sit in the truck and I connected a voltmeter between the ground and pump power wire. I had her turn the key to on and had 12 volts. I then had her crank the engine and I had 12 volts. Is it safe to assume that it is the fuel pump assembly or am I missing something ?

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thunderbolt wrote:

(UPDATE) I have the connector disconnected from the pump. I tested the ground at the connector and it is good. I had my wife sit in the truck and I connected a voltmeter between the ground and pump power wire. I had her turn the key to on and had 12 volts. I then had her crank the engine and I had 12 volts. Is it safe to assume that it is the fuel pump assembly or am I missing something ?

(New Update) I plugged the connector back in and the truck started and then died which is what Passlock does. I then had my wife crank the engine and I unplugged the pump while it was cranking and plugged it back in. The truck fired right up and is still running.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like wiring/connector to me.
In my experience electric fuel pumps are good or not good. Not intermittent issues.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it “doesn’t work” is the pump not running or can you hear it but it’s not pulling fuel?
If the latter then probably not wiring but again, pumps usually aren’t intermittent.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Change the fuel filter

Sounds like it is partially plugged and going to fully plugged soon.

It WILL kill your fuel pump over time, if not already close to failing

A good rule of thumb of mine is to change my fuel filter at about 1,000 gallons of fuel

Edit…of course for a gasser

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Change the fuel filter

Sounds like it is partially plugged and going to fully plugged soon.

It WILL kill your fuel pump over time, if not already close to failing

A good rule of thumb of mine is to change my fuel filter at about 1,000 gallons of fuel

Edit…of course for a gasser

Ben, I know the fuel filter needs to be replaced, but that is not causing my issue. If it was the filter I could let it sit after stalling and then it may start. My issue is that it stalled I check voltage to pump which is good then plug it in and it runs. Next time it stalled within one minute of it stalling my wife cranks the truck over while I disconnect the pump and when I plug it back it the truck starts and runs. The filter will be replaced, but do those symptoms not point the the fuel pump module connector ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck not getting fuel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.