Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Truck not getting fuel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck not getting fuel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many Chevs have the power for the fuel pump going through the oil pressure sending unit. Initial voltage is through the fuel pump relay, after cranking sufficient oil pressure is present to close contacts in oil pressure sending unit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

When it “doesn’t work” is the pump not running or can you hear it but it’s not pulling fuel?
If the latter then probably not wiring but again, pumps usually aren’t intermittent.

Pump does not run at all when the truck quits. It has to be the connector on the pump because if I unplug it and plug it back in the the runs. I tried it this morning after sitting all night and it fired right up.

Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Many Chevs have the power for the fuel pump going through the oil pressure sending unit. Initial voltage is through the fuel pump relay, after cranking sufficient oil pressure is present to close contacts in oil pressure sending unit.

I thought about that as well, but I tested the connector that plugs into the pump when it failed to start and had power and ground.

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input everyone. I do believe I will be putting a whole pump assembly in the truck. I wish I would have just did that last week instead of just replacing the pump. I only did that because I had the pump already, but a lesson has been learned.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let us know how it turns out!
(And think how much quicker it'll go the second time around!)

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

I put a new AC Delco assembly in with a new connector and as soon as I touched the key it fired right up. That other pump took some cranking before it started which concerned me, but I let it go since it started. I do believe that was another mistake on my part.
Going to order new fuel lines because I can't get the filter off due to rust. Wow are they pricey though ! $400.00.

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thunderbolt wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

I put a new AC Delco assembly in with a new connector and as soon as I touched the key it fired right up. That other pump took some cranking before it started which concerned me, but I let it go since it started. I do believe that was another mistake on my part.
Going to order new fuel lines because I can't get the filter off due to rust. Wow are they pricey though ! $400.00.

I disconnected the fuel line and hooked a hose to the pump and was able to use the pump to drain all the gas before lowering the tank.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Smart move. Empty tank = mucho easier.
So interesting. Bad pump, replaced with new, new pump sun standard and short in the connector on the pump side? While a bit unusual, not unheard of. I’ve had more poor quality with out of the box new parts in recent years than I recall ever back in the day…
To the point that I generally start with diagnosing if the new part is the problem since it has been on multiple occasions. (Not just fuel pumps)

I have one of those suspect fuel pumps in our boat.
Boat runs a common GM in tank fuel pump for efi engines. Replaced a couple years ago when the original one died.
New one fixed that issue, but it does not sound as good as the original and 2 out of 3 tries it won’t fire the engine on the first attempt, even waiting for priming to stop before cranking it over. And it always cranks longer than it should, to start.
It makes proper pressure, even under full throttle, tested that as I’d prefer not to replace it unnecessarily. But it is not a good pump. Being a boat, it has had less than 100 hours of run time since replacement.
But my suspicions were confirmed completely last week after being on a buddys boat with the same engine and same exact replacement pump. (His boat has far more hours and his “new” pump has lasted hundreds of hours now and it sounds healthier than the poor quality one I have. Thus when mine died I bought the same brand /model pump he did because he already had years of operation on the new pump with no issue )

Mine sounds like an electric motor spinning a small rock tumbler by comparison…

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you thought about a bad fuel pressure regulator?

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^Smart move. Empty tank = mucho easier.
So interesting. Bad pump, replaced with new, new pump sun standard and short in the connector on the pump side? While a bit unusual, not unheard of. I’ve had more poor quality with out of the box new parts in recent years than I recall ever back in the day…
To the point that I generally start with diagnosing if the new part is the problem since it has been on multiple occasions. (Not just fuel pumps)

I have one of those suspect fuel pumps in our boat.
Boat runs a common GM in tank fuel pump for efi engines. Replaced a couple years ago when the original one died.
New one fixed that issue, but it does not sound as good as the original and 2 out of 3 tries it won’t fire the engine on the first attempt, even waiting for priming to stop before cranking it over. And it always cranks longer than it should, to start.
It makes proper pressure, even under full throttle, tested that as I’d prefer not to replace it unnecessarily. But it is not a good pump. Being a boat, it has had less than 100 hours of run time since replacement.
But my suspicions were confirmed completely last week after being on a buddys boat with the same engine and same exact replacement pump. (His boat has far more hours and his “new” pump has lasted hundreds of hours now and it sounds healthier than the poor quality one I have. Thus when mine died I bought the same brand /model pump he did because he already had years of operation on the new pump with no issue )

Mine sounds like an electric motor spinning a small rock tumbler by comparison…

It wasn't actually the pump itself that was bad. It was the internal terminals on the plastic pump module that the pump wires plug into. I made the mistake of just replacing the pump itself and not the whole unit. Upon closer inspection I could see corrosion and could tell they had been hot.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck not getting fuel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.