Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Battle Born BB8D
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Battle Born BB8D

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
S Davis

Western WA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been trying to figure out what batteries to use on a 2800 watt Outback inverter, I was planning six Lifeline GPL 30HT for a total of 900ah. I started looking a Battle born and think I have decided to go with LiFeP04 batteries, I basically have room for two 8Ds.

This would give me 540ah with two of Battle Borns 270ah BB8D batteries. Probably buy one and see how it works and then another at a later date. Only thing I am worried about is redundancy, I could use six of their 100ah. Opinions?

Itinerant1

Itinerant

Senior Member

Joined: 05/23/2017

View Profile



Posted: 09/21/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at Lifeblue batteries also and compare $$. They have 100, 200, 300ah batteries and if cold temp is an issue they have batteries with warmers in them.


12v 500ah (5,120Wh usable), 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 1,800+ cycles.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/24/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/21/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I understand you, you plan to mix batteries with different chemistry in the bank powering your inverter. This is a no-no. Either go all one or all the other. They should all also be of the same age, and they need to all be at the same state of charge when you put them together.





theoldwizard1

SE MI

Senior Member

Joined: 09/07/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/21 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Battle Born maybe be the "Cadillac" of LiFeP04, but they are GROSSLY overcharging.

Read some of Will Prowse reviews on YouTube,

2oldman

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/21 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Battle Born maybe be the "Cadillac" of LiFeP04, but they are GROSSLY overcharging.
Why would they do that?

S Davis

Western WA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/21 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1 wrote:

Look at Lifeblue batteries also and compare $$. They have 100, 200, 300ah batteries and if cold temp is an issue they have batteries with warmers in them.


The one I thing I don’t like about Lifeblue is their max draw is 150 amps continuous and 200 amp for 30 minutes on their 200ah and 300ah batteries. So I would need to have two to run my 2800watt inverter at full draw where Battle Born is 300amps continuous and 500amps surge for 30 seconds on one of their 270ah.

S Davis

Western WA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

If I understand you, you plan to mix batteries with different chemistry in the bank powering your inverter. This is a no-no. Either go all one or all the other. They should all also be of the same age, and they need to all be at the same state of charge when you put them together.


No mixing just trying to decide on one battery 270-300ah per bank for a total of two or three 100ah per bank for a total of six.

FWC

The Wilderness

Senior Member

Joined: 09/12/2020

View Profile



Posted: 09/21/21 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

Itinerant1 wrote:

Look at Lifeblue batteries also and compare $$. They have 100, 200, 300ah batteries and if cold temp is an issue they have batteries with warmers in them.


The one I thing I don’t like about Lifeblue is their max draw is 150 amps continuous and 200 amp for 30 minutes on their 200ah and 300ah batteries. So I would need to have two to run my 2800watt inverter at full draw where Battle Born is 300amps continuous and 500amps surge for 30 seconds on one of their 270ah.


If you are planning on running two in parallel then the max draw adds. So it would be 300A continuous and 400A for 30 minutes wth two Lifeblue in parallel.. That should be more than enough for running your 2800W inverter.

And yes, battleborn is over priced. The price of LiFePO4 cells has plummeted in the last year, yet BB prices have not.

S Davis

Western WA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/21 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWC wrote:

S Davis wrote:

Itinerant1 wrote:

Look at Lifeblue batteries also and compare $$. They have 100, 200, 300ah batteries and if cold temp is an issue they have batteries with warmers in them.


The one I thing I don’t like about Lifeblue is their max draw is 150 amps continuous and 200 amp for 30 minutes on their 200ah and 300ah batteries. So I would need to have two to run my 2800watt inverter at full draw where Battle Born is 300amps continuous and 500amps surge for 30 seconds on one of their 270ah.


If you are planning on running two in parallel then the max draw adds. So it would be 300A continuous and 400A for 30 minutes wth two Lifeblue in parallel.. That should be more than enough for running your 2800W inverter.

And yes, battleborn is over priced. The price of LiFePO4 cells has plummeted in the last year, yet BB prices have not.




I am planning two banks that can be charged or used independently and would like to be able to power the inverter with just one bank, so I guess going with six 100ah is probably the way I will go as this would give me a max of 300amp draw per bank. Also I could have multiple battery failures and not be dead in the water. It looks like the lifeblue and battle born are about the same price on the 100ah.

* This post was edited 09/21/21 07:04pm by S Davis *

Itinerant1

Itinerant

Senior Member

Joined: 05/23/2017

View Profile



Posted: 09/21/21 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What possibly are you going to use to draw over 200a. My microwave draws 148a, 12c coffee pot 84a, air conditioner 150a+. Now if I forget that I'm boondocking and turn the microwave & coffee pot on and other misc items at the same time then it will be 250a +.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Battle Born BB8D
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.