Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Predator 3500 vs 2 Champion 2500
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Predator 3500 vs 2 Champion 2500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/21 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oyarsa wrote:

Hm. Thanks for the advice/tips. Valhalla360, how is the noise level on the 4500? The db rating of the 3400 was my prime attractant to it (that and the dual fuel), but it's really hard to judge from db ratings...

Per the ratings, they are the same but I haven't seen them side by side.

The appeal to me is it's more powerful but cheaper in a comparable size.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

in5r

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/21 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just throwing it out there but have you seen the Champion dual fuel inverter generator at Cabelas/bass pro shop exclusive with electric start(not remote) I believe it's 5500 starting and 4000 running. It's been doing good for me.

2019 Ford F250 6.7 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

in5r wrote:

Just throwing it out there but have you seen the Champion dual fuel inverter generator at Cabelas/bass pro shop exclusive with electric start(not remote) I believe it's 5500 starting and 4000 running. It's been doing good for me.

Is that the inverter design or the open frame model?

The 4500w model, I'm talking about is the modern inverter based design.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L9R5YC5/ref=twister_B08RGQK5DD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

in5r

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inverter not open frame. It's not available anywhere else but bass pro shops or cabelas. Just search their site for champion inverter generator.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/champion-5500w-4000w-dual-fuel-inverter-generator-with-electric-start

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The downside to Predator is Harbor Freight really does not "support" their equipment as far as supplying repair parts which can be problematic down the road. Sort of making HF gens border on throw away if you can't figure out how to cross reference parts to the actual manufacturer.

Harbor Freight does have a parts list and prices for the predator generator predator 3500 Replacement Parts in Stock

Call to Order: 1-800-444-3353

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shastagary wrote:

Quote:

The downside to Predator is Harbor Freight really does not "support" their equipment as far as supplying repair parts which can be problematic down the road. Sort of making HF gens border on throw away if you can't figure out how to cross reference parts to the actual manufacturer.

Harbor Freight does have a parts list and prices for the predator generator predator 3500 Replacement Parts in Stock

Call to Order: 1-800-444-3353

[emoticon]

Been down that road before, with HF, the parts go away once the item has been discontinued and no longer in production.

Had to scrap a cool little 5yr old 2 cycle HF 350W gen many yrs ago that someone gave my Dad.. Was cool and worked well until the ignition module failed, no replacements, could not identify manufacturer of engine. No luck finding a generic module since the ignition module also had a connection to the tiny inverter module..

HF is not like good old "Sears and Roebuck" that kept parts for 50+ yrs after it was discontinued..

But, hey, good luck..

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For some reason, Harbor Freight lists a 66 dB noise level for their 2KW #62523 model - which is very loud for an inverter model of that size.

That's actually louder than some open-frame non-inverter models of that size.

For comparison, Champion specifies their #100306 2KW model at 53 dB.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, at least there are plenty of folks who believe a new, price point, low quality generator is better than a lightly used Honda or Yami, or there wouldn't be good used ones for sale for the rest of us.

Gdetrailer is right, but there's a uge industry selling knockoffs of the quality versions. I'd take a 10 year old Honda before spending $5 at Horrible Freight on one.
Our Honda is probably 15 years old. The case was pretty beat up, when I bought it used. Was cheap, but had under 100hrs on it. Don't use it alot, but it always works. It pulls it's weight better than the knockoffs too.

At work, the little Hondas get beat on mercilessly. Inclement conditions, run out of oil, run 12 hrs a day every day sometimes. Hard to tell how long they last, as seems most of them end up under a loader tire, excavator bucket or powering a homeless camp/for sale at a pawn shop. But the ones that escape catastrophic death or theft, I've seen with better part of 1000hours, again, with "as needed" oil changes. IE: Low oil shuts it down, it gets filled with the closest available jug of oil that says engine oil on the bottle and back to work.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Predator 3500 vs 2 Champion 2500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.