Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Best Four Season Travel Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Best Four Season Travel Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
csh_2088

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to know which Travel Trailer is the best for use in the winter time. I have heard Bigfoot is really good but they are kind of expensive.

Rexhall Motorhomes Yahoo Group

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple more:

Northwoods/Arctic Fox

Escape

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a Outdoors Rv for a couple of reasons they have a solid frame with shocks, a 80 gallon water tank, 2 inch side walls and a curved roof. But also remember they are heavy you need a 3 quarter ton truck to pull them.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2007 one of these:

Roughneck trailers

I full time.

I have used it from 105F to -42F. At -42F you aren't leaving camp for too long you want to be sure of your electricity supply if you know what I mean. It is easy to keep the propane boiling if you know how.
Worst weather was -30F with a light breeze. Furnaces ran about 60% -70% of each hour I would say.

The decor and built ins are more full time working person style than staples and wafer board.

Oh and at 1400lbs on the hitch and 8900lbs dry and empty mine wants one of them "nuff trucks" to pull it. But it tows really nice and has lots of ground clearance.

Did I mention there are no slides to give trouble and let cold, drafts and flies in?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 4-season TT may depend on where you are located. The closer you get to a true 4-season, the higher the price, and it will be heavier.

My FW is called 4-season, and works well, from experience, at 20 degrees. How much colder, IDK, but a few modifications would be needed to go to say 0-10 degrees.

Jerry

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even the "best" four season RVs need attention and care in freezing temps. My Winnie is also good at 20F...for limited time with the heater going.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

canoe on top

Denver, CO, US

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been comfortable in my Artic Fox at a bit below zero. I have factory storm windows which, apparently, they no longer make. Thermopane would be the next, best thing. If you are looking at four season, remember that the dump valves have to be enclosed and heated, not just the tanks.Tank heaters are, also good.Winter camping pretty much requires 120 power. Ideally, shore power, otherwise, you will be running your generator quite a bit to keep the batteries charged because of furnace use. Would require a pretty good battery bank and a lot of solar to go that route.

csh_2088

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arctic Fox are great but very expensive and big. I am looking for something smaller like the Bigfoot 17, Bigfoot 21, or the Escape 5.0.

canoe on top

Denver, CO, US

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might look at the Arctic Fox or Nash 22G.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

canoe on top wrote:

I have been comfortable in my Artic Fox at a bit below zero. I have factory storm windows which, apparently, they no longer make. Thermopane would be the next, best thing.

One trick is to install heat-to-shrink window film on the inside of all windows that don't need to be opened during the winter.

[image]

The film isn't quite as good an insulator as a second glass pane, but it's MUCH better than nothing.

Quote:

If you are looking at four season, remember that the dump valves have to be enclosed and heated, not just the tanks. Tank heaters are, also good.

Many cold-weather campers simply stop using the toilet and shower in sub-freezing weather.

The fresh water tank and associated plumbing can sometimes still be used to a degree, if they share the same heated air space with the occupants.

Quote:

Winter camping pretty much requires 120 power. Ideally, shore power, otherwise, you will be running your generator quite a bit to keep the batteries charged because of furnace use. Would require a pretty good battery bank and a lot of solar to go that route.

Catalytic heaters completely eliminate battery drain, but can still provide a lot of heat - One 8,000 BTU cat heater running full-time equals a 16,000 BTU furnace that runs 50% of the time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Best Four Season Travel Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.