Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Over filling
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Over filling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Danford50

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2016 coach Catalina I purchased it used our first trip when I connected my water hose to city fill and I went back later to check everything out I noticed that my fresh water tank was over filling out to the ground, I think it might be a check value not working, but this camper is new to me , where would I look for the check value.or maybe someone else has had this problem who can give me how to fix it.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you overfilled the tank and it spilled out. seems routine to me. did it somehow get switched to tank fill by mistake?
bumpy

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tank has a vent in the top to let air in/out. When filling air and then water comes out the vent.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a coachman a couple years newer than you and I have done this twice. One was while filling and not paying attention when it filled up. The other was when I thought I had my water switch on city but it was on tank fill while we took a walk around the CG. The water overflowed for at least 15 minutes. No problems except for a lot of water wasted and a muddy mess around the motorhome. The water just goes out the top vent or overflow and onto the ground.

2018 coachmen leprechaun class c

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Danford50 wrote:

I connected my water hose to city fill

This is ambiguous. There is a city water inlet and a tank fill inlet. (Not all rigs have a separate tank fill inlet.) If you connected to the city water inlet, then you do, indeed, have a backflow preventer in the water pump that has failed. If you connected it to the tank fill inlet, you need to stand there while it fills till water comes out the inlet and vent, then turn the water off.

The units without a separate tank fill inlet have a valve that you turn to switch between city water and tank fill. If that valve is turned wrong, that will happen.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just reread your post-I answered a question you didn't ask. On mine, if yours is similar-has a switch or lever where the water fill is. this must be turned to what you want-whether city or tank fill. Mine is blue and about 2" long.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where was the water coming out ? I have never heard of " city fill " , are you sure that is what it sez ?

Robbies grandpa

Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds to me like there is a check valve issue with your water pump. This happened to me once and I had to replace the pump.

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a common question asked on a Jayco Facebook group. Many times it is the pressure check valve on the pump especially if the pump hasn't been used for some time. The check valve gets dry and sticks. Pumping some water from the freshwater tank can help to prevent that. That check valve is located on the power input end of the pump.

Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rrupert wrote:

This is a common question asked on a Jayco Facebook group. Many times it is the pressure check valve on the pump especially if the pump hasn't been used for some time. The check valve gets dry and sticks. Pumping some water from the freshwater tank can help to prevent that. That check valve is located on the power input end of the pump.

^this

1. Run some water through the faucets using only the pump.
2. If that doesn’t fix it you may have to take the pump apart to clean a piece of debris out.
3. Failing that, you can usually buy a rebuild kit (new diaphragm) or new pump.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Over filling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.