Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Generators for 5er
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Generators for 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/04/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp wrote:

I recommend considering an Onan 5500 onboard generator if you have the space for one. That will power both air units, a residential fridge, and have plenty to spare even at elevation.

Our fifth wheel when it was configured with 2x Dometic 15K AC units, a residential fridge, and a lot of miscellaneous electronics would consume 2700W with both AC units running full force and fridge on defrost. We could start both AC units with the Onan no problem, without soft starts. You don't need a 7kW generator. Depending on where you camp (altitude) and whether or not you have soft starts, a single 4500W would likely suffice.


Thing is, the Onan gensets are constant speed, wide open, all the time, even when load is not demanded. Personally, I'd opt for the biggest inverter I could get and build up a beefy rear rack with a "gen box" to contain the generator, 50a plug and transfer switch. I saw one that had a built-in 20gal fuel tank, too.

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 63 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/04/21 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

What is the fixation with high KW gennys? No heat. No air.

When it come to higher KW gensetsTHe fixation is the A/C.
If no A/C is involved any 2000 watt unit will do. But A/C is a real concern that requires more power. Sleeping/living in a hot RV is not an enjoyable experience


Correct! "If mama ain't happy; ain't NOBODY happy!" :-)

Lyle

pyoung47

MO

Senior Member

Joined: 02/16/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/14/21 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Champion has a new 4500 watt plus line which offers electric and remote start. If you are going to be off grid, I would "tough it" with one AC requiring only about 3500 watts. Carrying two 4500 watt units would be overkill --

PhilipB

MO

Senior Member

Joined: 01/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/14/21 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prior to our toy hauler we had a regular 5er and a Yamaha 3000 in the bed of the truck. We ran generator in the bed of the truck, but would unhook from camper when doing this. It worked well, but required having portable gas cans.

Toy hauler has 5500 Onan. We have 60 gallons of onboard fuel which is great. No unhooking, no cords, no gas cans. No overload worries. It does drink more fuel.

You might search for a diesel generator you could mount in truck bed and feed off the truck.


2015 Ram 2500
2013 Raptor 310TS

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/15/21 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PhilipB wrote:

Prior to our toy hauler we had a regular 5er and a Yamaha 3000 in the bed of the truck. We ran generator in the bed of the truck, but would unhook from camper when doing this. It worked well, but required having portable gas cans.

Toy hauler has 5500 Onan. We have 60 gallons of onboard fuel which is great. No unhooking, no cords, no gas cans. No overload worries. It does drink more fuel.

You might search for a diesel generator you could mount in truck bed and feed off the truck.


For the life of me, I can not figure out why Onan hasn't started making inverter gensets OR why Honda dropped their on-board gensets years ago OR why Champion, or any other company, hasn't started building on-board inverter gensets. [emoticon]

Lyle

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/15/21 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

PhilipB wrote:

Prior to our toy hauler we had a regular 5er and a Yamaha 3000 in the bed of the truck. We ran generator in the bed of the truck, but would unhook from camper when doing this. It worked well, but required having portable gas cans.

Toy hauler has 5500 Onan. We have 60 gallons of onboard fuel which is great. No unhooking, no cords, no gas cans. No overload worries. It does drink more fuel.

You might search for a diesel generator you could mount in truck bed and feed off the truck.


For the life of me, I can not figure out why Onan hasn't started making inverter gensets OR why Honda dropped their on-board gensets years ago OR why Champion, or any other company, hasn't started building on-board inverter gensets. [emoticon]

Lyle


There really 2 different markets. A built in Onan is a $7000.00 option.
vs. any portable which are 1/3-1/2 the price with none of the conveniences of a built in.


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/15/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is a Commercial 6500 LP 220V Cummins/Onan and it's very thirsty. Anyone done a change over to gasoline on one of these?


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

n0arp

FT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/20/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/15/21 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I changed a 5500LP over to gas. They have diagrams for everything and I just pulled up the diagrams for both the LP and gas models, and ordered everything that was different. It ended up being just the carb and some regulator, I believe, but that was a few years ago. I used a 12V fuel pump off Amazon and an 18gal marine fuel tank. I swapped it back over to LP at some point because I decided I'd rather have the space the gas tank was taking up for batteries.

* This post was edited 10/15/21 01:26pm by an administrator/moderator *


2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/18/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

laknox wrote:

PhilipB wrote:

Prior to our toy hauler we had a regular 5er and a Yamaha 3000 in the bed of the truck. We ran generator in the bed of the truck, but would unhook from camper when doing this. It worked well, but required having portable gas cans.

Toy hauler has 5500 Onan. We have 60 gallons of onboard fuel which is great. No unhooking, no cords, no gas cans. No overload worries. It does drink more fuel.

You might search for a diesel generator you could mount in truck bed and feed off the truck.


For the life of me, I can not figure out why Onan hasn't started making inverter gensets OR why Honda dropped their on-board gensets years ago OR why Champion, or any other company, hasn't started building on-board inverter gensets. [emoticon]

Lyle


There really 2 different markets. A built in Onan is a $7000.00 option.
vs. any portable which are 1/3-1/2 the price with none of the conveniences of a built in.


I'd be willing to bet that a goodly portion of that price is simply the "Onan" badge. It'd likely be the same, or more if it were Honda. Again, why doesn't Onan build an inverter genset?

Lyle

n0arp

FT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/20/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/18/21 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Again, why doesn't Onan build an inverter genset?

Lyle


They do. The only one so far for "RV Use" though is the QG2800i (and 2500i version for LP). Released Jan/21. Larger ones should be coming soon.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Generators for 5er
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.