Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 3500w power inverter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 3500w power inverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
blaczero

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1 wrote:

My Magnum 3000w inverter has 2a idle draw with enough batteries and solar it's not a big issue just leaving it on 24/7. If you're going to be switching it on and off then it shouldn't matter unless you forget to turn it off.

How much PV wattage do you have?

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blaczero wrote:

Itinerant1 wrote:

My Magnum 3000w inverter has 2a idle draw with enough batteries and solar it's not a big issue just leaving it on 24/7. If you're going to be switching it on and off then it shouldn't matter unless you forget to turn it off.

How much PV wattage do you have?

1,280w solar, it has to be a pretty crappy day for the system not to produce something.

12v 500ah (5,120Wh usable), 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 1,800+ cycles.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/21 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am totally puzzled. What are you going to do with a large sign wave inverter powered by only a 200 AH battery bank?

I lived full time for a while and have spent at least 1000 nights in my RV. I have gotten by with a 175 watt, non-sign wave inverter that is only rarely used because I could not find a 12v alternative for charging my camera battery.

It would take a huge battery bank and solar system to try to use batteries for running an A/C unit. Even a microwave is more than I would want to power unless it is just for a short use in reheating coffee or the like.

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

I am totally puzzled. What are you going to do with a large sign wave inverter powered by only a 200 AH battery bank?

I lived full time for a while and have spent at least 1000 nights in my RV. I have gotten by with a 175 watt, non-sign wave inverter that is only rarely used because I could not find a 12v alternative for charging my camera battery.

It would take a huge battery bank and solar system to try to use batteries for running an A/C unit. Even a microwave is more than I would want to power unless it is just for a short use in reheating coffee or the like.

Yes, the OP could use a little more battery to go with the larger inverter maybe they'll grow into it?

No it really doesn't take a huge battery bank atleast not with lfp and having a larger solar system does help. I run the microwave for long periods of time, use the A/C for a few hours and even when the batteries haven't got back to 100% SOC. Living with everyday conveniences without being plugged in and without rationing power.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/21 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

. . . It would take a huge battery bank and solar system to try to use batteries for running an A/C unit. Even a microwave is more than I would want to power unless it is just for a short use in reheating coffee or the like.
When we had our two GC2's we were happy just to power our microwave. When we upgraded to a DIY 200ah Lifepo4 pack, it was a game-changer. It had more than double the useable AH vs. our two GC2's. Weighed 90 lbs. less, and was far from "huge"---BMS & cells fit inside a small Group 24 battery box. On top of all this, the Lifepo4 also produced excellent voltage stability while under heavy load from 100-10% SOC (12.8v/100a/100% SOC; 12.2v/100a/10% SOC). Discovered it would power our a/c (120vac, 10-11a) with ease. We're able to get 90 min. of runtime (100% to 10-15% SOC with compressor on 100%). No, not practical for cooling the camper while dry camping, but it's an awesome convenience when we take short breaks while we're on the road. Our a/c only takes 5 min to make a very noticeable difference inside our truck camper even on a hot day. No generator rumble or noise to contend with, just turn on the a/c and relax. When we get back on the road our dc to dc charger charges the Lifepo4 back-up in time for our next break.

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

. . . It would take a huge battery bank and solar system to try to use batteries for running an A/C unit. Even a microwave is more than I would want to power unless it is just for a short use in reheating coffee or the like.
When we had our two GC2's we were happy just to power our microwave. When we upgraded to a DIY 200ah Lifepo4 pack, it was a game-changer. It had more than double the useable AH vs. our two GC2's. Weighed 90 lbs. less, and was far from "huge"---BMS & cells fit inside a small Group 24 battery box. On top of all this, the Lifepo4 also produced excellent voltage stability while under heavy load from 100-10% SOC (12.8v/100a/100% SOC; 12.2v/100a/10% SOC). Discovered it would power our a/c (120vac, 10-11a) with ease. We're able to get 90 min. of runtime (100% to 10-15% SOC with compressor on 100%). No, not practical for cooling the camper while dry camping, but it's an awesome convenience when we take short breaks while we're on the road. Our a/c only takes 5 min to make a very noticeable difference inside our truck camper even on a hot day. No generator rumble or noise to contend with, just turn on the a/c and relax. When we get back on the road our dc to dc charger charges the Lifepo4 back-up in time for our next break.

what bms are you using that allows you over 200amps? daly?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 3500w power inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.