Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: $135k for a very basic camper?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> $135k for a very basic camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Also:

Wet weight: 3915lbs

Does that mean if I put 1500lbs of stuff in the 3000lb "dry" camper, it will never weigh more than 3915lbs?

They did explain where the 3915 lbs came from , all the normal fluids and such that are usually referred to as wet weight plus 500lbs of stuff

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's Canadian dollars. It's only $105,000 US dollars.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally an RV that will bankrupt me immediately instead of slowly

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Also:

Wet weight: 3915lbs

Does that mean if I put 1500lbs of stuff in the 3000lb "dry" camper, it will never weigh more than 3915lbs?

No it means you can't put more than 915lb of stuff in it without exceeding the manufacturers weight limits...do it and they will consider it your problem if excess weight causes issues.

Yes, small startups do face the problem of competing against companies that already have reached economies of scale but that doesn't mean this one has anything special in terms of quality. This is far more likely a marketing ploy...by implying theirs is a premium product, many will assume it is without actually confirming that there is any real added value.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

tlowe43q

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/21 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, its a lot of money, and no, not going to buy one, but when you look at it, there is NOTHING basic about it.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There’s everything basic about it.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See other posts bitching about rv quality

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't this the mindset that leads to the current situation of low quality RVs mass produced by low paid workers that are paid by the unit and not for quality?

I don't know that Loki is any better than the rest, but if it's a high quality product, then you're going to pay more for quality.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even when you hire more skilled workers, there is low limit how much they can change.
I used to own Barth motorhome, who had interior assembled by Amish laborers. When cabinets were nicely finished, the door-holding struts were all sagging.
I liked my Lance finishes, but structural engineering on it suck, what regardless did not prevent furnace and W/H electronic boards to fail.
Not to mention Generac generator ($4500 option in 2002) who was piece of junk, with electronic board failing almost every season.

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think this is exactly the issue with the current RV industry. Most folks are mostly concerned how many slide outs, recliners, outdoor TVs and LED awning lights a camper comes with, and not at all that bothered with how the camper is made or the quality of the systems. So that is what the manufacturers produce, cheaply built campers with lots of slide outs and TVs, and end result of this is obvious from reading the forums.

There is a whole market for exactly the opposite - campers that are very robust and well made using high quality materials and techniques, and very reliable systems, but very few 'luxuries', no slides, no TVs, no outside kitchens, no generators etc. I am not sure if this new brand falls into that category, but they seem to be trying. Other examples would be Nimble, Earth Cruiser, Tiger, Global Expedition Vehicles, Overland Explorer etc. These are all north of $100K for a 'basic camper' but in exchange you are not getting the usual 'RV Quality'.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> $135k for a very basic camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.