Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"No! Bottom line is that this kid(whose brain is not totally developed) needs to be charged with the appropriate offenses and stand trial.
If found guilty he must then serve whatever punishment the state deems necessary."

^^^ Bingo...and the determination of the "...appropriate offenses..." may very well lead to the state seeking to charge as an adult, which will, of course, expand the scope of the punishment options. If I had to guess, I'd guess that having him tried as an adult is a pretty high bar given the "facts" (i.e. what's posted) about the case.

If I had to guess further, I suspect that the ultimate criminal resolution won't be as aggressive as some would like but that the civil matter will find the kid guilty of civil assault with some pretty high damages.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

If I had to guess further, I suspect that the ultimate criminal resolution won't be as aggressive as some would like but that the civil matter will find the kid guilty of civil assault with some pretty high damages.

You ever try to spend "judgement"?
Likely there will be a high settlement, the injured people will get what the maximum on the auto liability coverage is. Then the family, that should spend the rest of their life living in a shopping cart, will declare "Bankruptcy" and not loose anything.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/21 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scooby, I don't know about Texas, but in SC in a civil wrongful death suit, the judge will first order the parties to go to mediation to attempt to work out a settlement; if the settlement does not occur, then the judge allows the parties to go to trial. In my husband's family, a death occurred in a boating accident, a 19 year old beautiful girl by the name of Mallory Beach; she was found dead five days later floating near Broad River Landing after the boat she was in hit a bridge piling in Archer's Creek and was driven by a very intoxicated 19 year old, Paul Murdaugh. Her mother (a very strong and determined woman), Renee Beach, lodged a wrongful death suit against Paul's father, Alex Murdaugh, Paul's older brother, Buster Murdaugh, Jr. (for giving Paul his I.D. For buying the alcohol), and against Parkers liquor store which sold Paul the alcohol. Renee's attorney asked Alex Murdaugh for his financial records during mediation; he would not comply; the insurance company which insured the boat would not honor the claim (do not know why) and, therefore, Paul's father's assets were in play. Since mediation has stalled, the parties will be going to trial. Since the first and only mediation meeting, Paul Murdaugh (the intoxicated 19 year old driving the boat) never went to criminal trial because he was murdered in June 2021 along with his mother. Renee Beach just recently petitioned the court to freeze all of Paul's father's assets to prevent him from liquidating said assets. If you wish to read about this further, Google "Mallory Beach Boating Accident SC".

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

No reason to scrap it, but should be sold to highest bidder, with the understanding it will meet factory emission standards before driven again.

I can think of two reasons to scrap it one phycological one practical
(The kid likely loves his truck more than he does his girlfriend so crushing the truck, or crushing his.. you know whats,, about the same)

Knowing the truck was crushed might hurt more than knowing somebody else was driving it, I don't know. Maybe send him a picture of it wrapped to advertise a bicycle shop?
But to just destroy it would waste a serviceable vehicle.

If it is set up to roll coal, it isn't serviceable. Those things should be instantly removed from the road.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

If it is set up to roll coal, it isn't serviceable. Those things should be instantly removed from the road.

I agree, to a certain extent. IMHO, it should be taken as Civil Asset Forfeiture, then auction to highest bidder. But a condition of the sale is it does not hit road until restored to meet emission standards.
And not just the truck in this case. Any late model truck, blowing smoke should be stopped and checked. If it is a breakdown issue, give a reasonable time to fix. Modification? Driver is now a pedestrian.

Think about it. Your wife has a flat, that car is not serviceable until it is repaired Will you scrap it, or change the tire?

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teen Driver Who Hit Cyclists While 'Roll........l' On Them Faces Felony Charges In Texas

Quote:

The Waller County district attorney said his office had filed six charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon against the driver, one for each biker hit by the truck, the culmination of a weeks-long investigation into the incident.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Teen Driver Who Hit Cyclists While 'Roll........l' On Them Faces Felony Charges In Texas

Quote:

The Waller County district attorney said his office had filed six charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon against the driver, one for each biker hit by the truck, the culmination of a weeks-long investigation into the incident.

Thanks for posting this. I was curious what had happened.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for update. Good to hear of charges, but why juvenile court?

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How often are juveniles charged as adults when there was no death?

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

How often are juveniles charged as adults when there was no death?

Counting drug crimes?
The fact is he attacked a group of people with a lethal weapon, after attempting to injure others.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.