Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Starting my research
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Starting my research

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, now you have recommendations for virtually all popular types of RVs in the "smallish" category.
And to no surprise, each have their plusses and drawbacks.
Seems like comfort and "space" to live are of your priorities and regardless of RV type, appears you're going to be storing it away from home when not in use.
That, IMO is also a big consideration, both from security (theft), weather protection (UV and precipitation), rodents, possibly no power hookup, ease of retrieval and storing it.

As convenient as some things are with a motorhome (you're firmly in the class C category, it seems, based on your posts), I wouldn't want the extra "vehicle" to maintain/store/repair/insure, in your situation.

The easy button, and most selection/availability, is a modest size travel trailer, IMO. Ditch the minivan for something that is made to tow, keep the EV for bopping around at home, have your camper in tow and a runaround vehicle while camping and a comfortable vehicle for bobtail road trips (not your EV, as stated by you).

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

RRinNFla

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing my buying experiences have taught me: what I thought was really important turned out to be not a big deal, while things that seemed trivial turned out to be important.

Yes, a Class A or C is easier to set up, but you are talking 5 minutes rather than 10. Is that 5 minutes saving worth it? Only you can answer that question.

Yes, a motor home can be set up in the rain from inside, but how often does that happen? You can always buy a poncho.

From your bio, it seems a travel trailer would suit you. You might consider a used unit and see if you like it.

Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 01:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

W
As convenient as some things are with a motorhome (you're firmly in the class C category, it seems, based on your posts), I wouldn't want the extra "vehicle" to maintain/store/repair/insure, in your situation.

Yep.

A motorhome comes with a whole new collection of vehicle running gear to repair and maintain - in addition to the appliances, fixtures and structure associated with all RVs.

Also, if your motorhome breaks down while traveling, you won't be staying in it while it gets repaired.

A trailer/tow vehicle combination is just so much more practical.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no simple or easy answer to your question. You need to really think what you are planning to do with this RV.

We came through your same path. Had a Popup for 17 years and loved it. Got a little older and wanted to travel more in the early spring and late fall so we got a hybrid. You still have to set up the ends but they are much nicer in so many ways with bathrooms and fridge, oven too. But, when traveling across the country putting up and taking down the ends frequently in sometimes nasty conditions didn't work so well.
We upgraded to a trailer. We had a slide out on the hybrid that did cause us trouble. We wanted a trailer that was totally accessible when stopped for a break on a trip. We have traveled extensively in the western parts of the US and Canada.

We were not interested in any kind of motor home because we like to drive around and see the sights when we are on the road. Don't have the funds to purchase a tow behind so we chose a pickup/tralier combo.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Brandon the Traveler

SC, NY, PA, WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Required reading prior to purchase in 2021 and beyond.

Start here.

Then finish with this.

I went.

Jeff10236

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brandon the Traveler wrote:

Required reading prior to purchase in 2021 and beyond.

Start here.

Then finish with this.

Yeah, I absolutely wouldn't buy this year. My best friend manages an RV dealer, and I keep up with trends. Between the years of quality declines, this year trying to push out product to meet demand (and thus putting out more units with defects than usual), and high prices, this isn't the year. I just research early (especially if my choice may impact the next vehicle I buy, which could be in less than a year). I am thinking, with the number of new RVers, the used market could look good in a year or two (three max)... A flood of used units from people who found it wasn't for them, and hopefully they would have fixed whatever needed fixed (and if not, used and with a high supply by then, prices should be where getting it fixed will still make for an overall good deal).

Tow Vehicles: 2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 (sold)
Other vehicles: 2019 Hyundai Sonata Sport, 2021 Hyundai Ioniq EV (a hatchback so great for tent camping, but needs an electric hook up to charge the car)
Camper: 2003 Starcraft 2406 (sold)
Several tents

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Starting my research
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.