Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Andersen Ultimate Hitch - my observations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Andersen Ultimate Hitch - my observations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/21 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See my comment on your other post...

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jackathan wrote:

My steel Andersen hitch has instructions on a label on the actual hitch, but it does not say anything about re-torqueing it. I am positive I read that on the paperwork instructions included with the hitch. I see there is no mention of it in the current online instruction manual, which covers all of the hitches, including the steel one I have that has been discontinued. Next time I am at the camper, I'll locate the paperwork. Makes sense to me though, after dropping the camper on the hitch, the bed deflection causes the bolt to no longer be torqued properly, allowing some fore and aft movement. I can get more than one turn of the bolt to obtain the proper torque. Current truck is a 2012 Ram 3500 Dually. I do wish I had a more secure connection with the modern puck system, but this truck is paid for now, so I'll stick with it.

Thats one of the reasons I have the rail mount Andersen . I have the puck system on my Ram , but I have the frame adapter that attaches to the pucks ,and the steel rail mount Andersen attaches to that at four points ,like a conventional hitch. They still sell my hitch.

I got there because when I bought the truck in 2014 there were not many hitch options for the puck system, and I wanted to use at that time my existing hitch which required bed rails ,so the adapter was the solution, and also accommodated the Andersen later on. If not I would of stayed with a conventional hitch, not a great fan of the gooseneck connection of the Andersen, although many are .

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your Superglide weighs 290 pounds, the Andersen weighs 40 pounds. Since both are solidly attached to your trailer, your truck interprets both as pin weight. If your 15k# trailer has 20% pin weight on its own then it is 21.9% with the Superglide attached and 20.3% with the Andersen attached. Weight matters; especially polar weight at it reduces the tendency of the trailer to rotate.

If you really like the Andersen I would try shocks on the trailer axles. This would also reduce rotation of the trailer.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you running Truck tire pressure based on your ACTUAL load???

A couple hundred pounds should not make that much difference. Is your kingpin location in a different location in relation to the center of the rear axle?

Both are solid hitches and should NOT tow any different if kingpin is in the same location fore and aft.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/21 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heavy? I use an electric hoist I mounted my garage to unload my 5th wheel hitch. My garage is tall (12') enough I don't have to remove the hitch to park our car under it, but, even an 8' high garage will do.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/21 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Heavy? I use an electric hoist I mounted my garage to unload my 5th wheel hitch. My garage is tall (12') enough I don't have to remove the hitch to park our car under it, but, even an 8' high garage will do.

Same here ,electric garage hoist mounted to the ceiling. I got my Andersen for our summer trip to Montana, need the hitch out of the way to transport my inflatable pontoon boat to the lakes up there for fishing. Got tired of dealing with that heavy manual sliding hitch away from home .

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/21 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the comments.

Couple replies back.

I didn't realize you could install the hitch two ways. I guess in theory that makes sense, I just followed the stickers on the hitch that pointed an arrow towards tail gate and installed it that way. Guess it makes sense that it could go either way.. I was just following the stickers.

My adapter is mounted towards the rear. Based on the measurement instructions from Andersen, it called for it to be mounted that way.

Noticed on the hitch there is a sticker that says to loosen the two bolts and re torque the top bolt, then torque the side bolts. I will also give that a try.

I do have the no slip mat.

I'll have to hook up and measure where king pin is with Andersen vs where it is with the Superglide.

Some really good info and inputs guys. Thanks. I don't know when I'll be able to test some of these ideas. Hooking up and re torquing the top bolt is an easy check.

Thanks

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

Thanks for all the comments.

Couple replies back.

I didn't realize you could install the hitch two ways. I guess in theory that makes sense, I just followed the stickers on the hitch that pointed an arrow towards tail gate and installed it that way. Guess it makes sense that it could go either way.. I was just following the stickers.

My adapter is mounted towards the rear. Based on the measurement instructions from Andersen, it called for it to be mounted that way.

I would check with Andersen before turning the base around. Physically, you can, but structurally, I don't think it's designed to carry the max load that way while pulling the 5er. Makes sense to me when I look at mine.

I put a stall mat under mine to mitigate against rotation, and it works great. After I hooked up the 5er, I re-torqued the top bolt and got another half turn or so......

I have my adaptor mounted towards the cab of the truck. ie, the cup/pin is closer to the cab to put the connection point over the rear axle. I still have lots of cab clearance, so no issue there. At the scale, the weight on the front tires changed by 20 pounds lighter from unloaded to loaded, so it looks like the connection point could still be very slightly behind the rear axle. Not enough for me to notice at all, and it handles great.

* This post was edited 10/15/21 09:11am by ssthrd *

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD 6.5' box SRW Denali Duramax Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Walaby wrote:

Round trip from mid-Georgia to Greenville SC for a nice long weekend.

About a month ago, I decided to switch from my Superglide auto slider to the Andersen Ultimate hitch. Not that I didn't like the superglide, I do, but I wanted the lighter hitch so it would be easier to remove from the bed between trips. Im not getting any younger, and I am using my truck a lot more as a truck, now that I have 7 acres of land to tend to.

So, install was a snap. Nothing really to adjust. I bought the gooseneck version, with the Andersen shaft, no slip pad and chains. Installed, torqued everything down, and all good.

Driving experience was not so great. Rough roads were REALLY rough with the hitch. I had recently driven over the same roads with my Superglide and it was not anywhere near as rough. Concrete interstate with any sort of roughness was really bad. Like a bucking bronco a couple of times.

I don't think there's anything "adjustment" wise, because it's all install and torque down.. no adjustments to be made. I have a RVing friend who has the same setup. We were camping together this weekend. He has a dually, I have a SRW. He says he does not get the bucking and rough riding I experienced.

On way back, overall not as bad, and the road close to home on southbound side is not as bad as the northbound side was heading out.

Unless there's some way to smooth this thing out, I suspect I will go back to the Superglide. Seems like the extra 200lbs the Superglide weighs really made the ride much smoother.

Wondering if others notice the same thing? Anything I can do maybe to the truck, or the pinbox to smooth things out? I like the hitch overall, like the weight savings, and like the ease of removal.I don't have air-ride on the truck, and have what I consider a standard pin box. Nothing fancy, not a Trail Air or nothing like that.

I won't buy a dually just to get a smoother ride.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Lets just try to NOT make this an AUH bash session.

Mike

I will tell you that some states, like AZ, do consider the AUH a gooseneck hitch and will require safety chains. Not that you're likely to get checked, but if anything happens, you're SOL; especially liability-wise. Also, because AZ considers this a "ball hitch", it is technically illegal to tow doubles behind one.

Lyle

^^^ This
Where I am in BC, a fifth wheel hitch requires no chains but a ball hitch does. The Andersen is a ball hitch.

mikewats

Marietta Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/21 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just replaced my old pullrite hitch for a new Super lite pullrite. Very similar to a Anderson hitch. I love the light weight of the hitch very easy to remove and reinstall . I have a 36 ft Carriage Cameo very heavy. This hitch pulls very easy very little “bucking” and super easy to hitch and in-hitch.
Great hitch for the money.

Mikewats
06 Dodge 3500DRW-5.9 Banks Econo-tuner, High Ram intake, Ram Air Intake Sys.
2011 Carriage Cameo 36 FWS, 17.5 Michelin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Andersen Ultimate Hitch - my observations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.