Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Generator runs fine, but no electricity in coach
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator runs fine, but no electricity in coach

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/21 12:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can hope there is a responsible You Tube tutorial about how to use your meter. Do not guess.

Also, I highly recommend using nitrile mechanic's gloves when working around live circuits. They will protect against 120vac shock if dry.

Also folks with Pacemakers should not work on generators. The reality is not a failure of the Pacemaker. It's vulnerability is corrupted memory that can erroneously show fibrillation, Bradycardia, or even Infarction when your cardiologist retrieves data.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A cheap 3 light tester will tell you if the generator is putting out power, no knowledge needed. Just plug it in. If you have a bonded neutral, then two lights should light up. If you have a floating neutral, then one, and only one, light should light up. Both of those are normal results and show the generator is putting out power. (A floating neutral is reported by this device as an "OPEN GROUND.")

[image]

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/21 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It'll be a few days until I can work on this again. So I may be back. I appreciate all the original and additional information.

I will flip the generator and in coach circuit breakers off and on again, even though I had already done that to begin with.

No pacemakers here, but thanks for the warning.

Bobbo...I wouldn't know where to plug that tester in. My generator and shore power are hardwired to the automatic transfer box.

I know that there is no power inside the coach. The power management panel is not indicating that generator power is coming in while the gennie is running. I need to determine if the generator is not producing power or the automatic transfer switch is not working. I do not know exactly how to check these things. I may end up hiring an RV tech or electrician.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/21 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Janss wrote:

Bobbo...I wouldn't know where to plug that tester in. My generator and shore power are hardwired to the automatic transfer box.

Sorry about that. I thought it was a portable generator. If you can get to the wires going from the generator to the ATS, you can use a Non Contact Voltage Tester. Touching the tip to the insulation over the hot wire makes it light up/beep. Touching the tip to the neutral or ground wire does not. If you can get to the wire, touch the tip to all sides of the wire.

[image]

bounder39zman

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/21 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this model of Onan continues to run, then it is making power. Assuming circuit breakers are on (and good), then most likely problem is wiring connections in connection box (usually near genset itself), or in transfer switch. I've found most transfer switch problems to be in the time-delay circuit board in x-fer sw. It can often be by-passed with a small dip switch on circuit board. (The switch will engage on generator power, but no time delay)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator runs fine, but no electricity in coach
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.