Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Giants/Dodgers called swinging strike...end of game
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Giants/Dodgers called swinging strike...end of game

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
akaPedro

Garaged

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So Flores swing did not appear to me to be much of an attempt. I looked in the MLB rule book and did not find anything to define a swinging strike.

What is the rule....if any. Just the ump's judgement ?

TIA

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as far as i recall it's what, in the ump's judgment, was the batter's intent. i always thought it was whether or not the bat broke the plane of the plate.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rule says: Broke the plane of the plate ... that's why the HPU asks the base ump because he can see it better. That's the claim anyway. Sometimes, I believe the umps leave their glasses at home.

But, that's always been part of the game - If they every go to E-Umps, I will quit watching baseball.

I think it evens out over a complete game though... Good Call, Bad Call, some for each game.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/21 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

Rule says: Broke the plane of the plate ... that's why the HPU asks the base ump because he can see it better. That's the claim anyway. Sometimes, I believe the umps leave their glasses at home.

But, that's always been part of the game - If they every go to E-Umps, I will quit watching baseball.

I think it evens out over a complete game though... Good Call, Bad Call, some for each game.

what rule number did you find?

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/21 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a game like baseball there are a lot of missed calls, or bad calls in this case. It is sad that the game ended because of it

I was told one time that the umpires on first and third base were to watch the bat as it moves forward. If the ump can see the "end" of the bat, the barrel must have crossed the plate. I have seen many replays and most of them show the bat actually pointing at the first base ump during the swing. I looked closely at this replay, and I didn't see that.....at all.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

monkey44

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

what rule number did you find?

I didn't look it up, but I was Director of a Youth Baseball Program, a BoD on a College Baseball Program. And, did some umpiring ... I just remember the rule not the number. Rule book can probably be found online somewhere ... I no longer have mine - it's been a few years. A lot of years, actually. [emoticon]

monkey44

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, tried to find it but found this. Although we were always under the guidelines as stated here ... so it is slightly ambivalent. Breaking wrists or past the plate -- The umpires usually confer if it's not obvious. In my opinion, a bat can cross the front of the plate even if the wrists do not 'roll-over' ... depending on the position of the batter and the plate. The batter can 'spin' in place on occasion, not break the wrist, and still cross the plate. I did not see the controversial call on the Giants last night - but will check it tonight on replay and see how it looks - but as always, the call is the call.

Begin:
The Major League Baseball rulebook does not contain an official definition for a checked swing, but defines a swing as "an attempt to strike at the ball". It is the decision of the umpire as to whether an attempt was made or not. Generally, factors such as whether the bat passes the front of the plate or the batter pulls their wrists back are considered in the ruling. Some umpires prefer to use the "breaking the wrists" criterion as the method to decide a checked swing: if the wrists "rolled over", a swing occurred.

Dozer

Santa Clarita, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In any game there probably a dozen strikes call that are missed either in or out.
It's part of the game it's just that this one just got some national focus.

The umps are human who don't have the advantage of super slow motion.

Dozer

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/21 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

that may be in the leagues you worked but apparently not in MLB. i'm still looking but found this a few minutes ago:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/exa........tly-check-swing-purely-umpires-judgment/

an excerpt:

So how far does a big league hitter have to go with his swing in order for a pitch to be called a strike? Is it when he "breaks his wrists'' trying to hold up? Or when his bat crosses the plate? Or when he appears to be trying to hit the ball?

Don't bother looking for it in the Official Baseball Rules: Amazingly, in the nearly 200 pages that govern Major League Baseball, there's no mention of how to decide.

Officially, it's purely an umpire's judgment.

and this...

https://baseballrulesacademy.com/lesson/what-is-a-swing-5/

monkey44

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Youth Baseball, and College when I was active - we did not have cameras to counter-guess the calls. And it's fairly new in MLB too, otherwise, we'd not have this kind of controversy. Umps and human judgement has always been a part of the game - now, it's challenged and complained about frequently.

Looked at the swing from last night - my opinion, he did NOT swing. But the ump called it, so the game is the game. As mentioned above, plenty of pitches and at least some plays in the field are debatable, if not inaccurate. But again, umps are human.

BTW: As stated, I don't recall the actual rule, it was probably more in discussions about how we handle or call it ... I remember it as roll-the-wrist, or past the plate. It seems MLB is not hard and fast on definition either.

That call will forever be controversial ... but we move on an enjoy the games regardless. It's unlikely, down to the final strike, that would have changed the game or the winner anyway, but it's possible. We'll never know ... Enjoy the games guys, whichever team you root for - we just hope it's good competition.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Giants/Dodgers called swinging strike...end of game
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.