Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Residential fridge
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Residential fridge

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/21 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought a new Montana 5th wheel with a residential fridge. We have only been on one trip with in but so far I’m not a fan. It works fine but I’m use to switching to gas while on the road and this one is electric only. It’s supposed to pull juice from my truck but I’m not sure that is. My son in law says my truck is doing what it’s supposed to ( I’m not sure if he knows what he’s doing or not ) but after 3 1/2 hrs on the road the stuff in the fridge was starting to warm up a little. What am I doing wrong?

Fulltimer50

Eloy, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many companies that offer res fridges also include an inverter to convert DC to AC for the fridge. You should find out if you have one and how to use it.

George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your new rig came with an inverter. Did you turn it on? Perhaps it is time to get out that big pack of information that came with the unit and read.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fulltimer50 wrote:

Many companies that offer res fridges also include an inverter to convert DC to AC for the fridge. You should find out if you have one and how to use it.

I'm by no means a expert, but I would bet that if you do not have enough power input to the inverter you can't get enough to power the fridge.
I have a little inverter that plugs into lighter socket. Plugged in the outlet in sleeper, it would not start my coffee grinder. Move up to outlet on dash, warning squeal, but would grind the beans. When I put a outlet hooked up to the heavy wires of the tarp motor switch, could charge laptop, Dustbuster, and grind the beans.
A friend would freeze a couple blocks of ice before he traveled. Move 1 to fridge to help it stay cold, move the fridge stuff that really needed cold to freezer

Coach-man

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the downer to residential fridges! If you stay put for long periods, and only move occasionally then they are great! Now, if your on the move a lot, your going to have to become an “expert” on batteries, and inverters. Starting with the alternators, yes plural. In your truck. Did your rig come with an inverter? What size is it, does it power more than the fridge? Perhaps, you need to upgrade it, or add one if not present? What is the amp rating on your house batteries? Typically, the factory ships their rigs without batteries, which are provided by the dealer at the time of sale. Again, they typically install the smallest, cheapest batteries they can get away with providing! Some people install a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries, to ensure they are providing enough amps to run things! That would then require, looking at your charging systems, both in the trailer, and in your truck, keeping the batteries charged! Yep a residential fridge can become an expensive option, if you outfit your truck and rig to support it! Good luck!

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/21 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adequate batteries and a strong solar system should be considered. Otherwise you’ll continue to be tethered to RV parks with electricity or running your generator often. RV retailers and manufacturers are doing “fridge newbies” no favors by not explaining the downsides of electric fridges.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve got a resi fridge, with an inverter and 2 golf GC6 batteries and it does great, and would not have an RV fridge after this. But we are in the southeast, and there really aren’t places to boondock.

I’ve spent 12 hours on the road, and the fridge was still running, and the batteries still had a good charge. The charge from the truck doesn’t keep up, but definitely extends the range.

Find your inverter and turn it on before you leave and you’ll be in good shape.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/21 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a residential fridge with n 800 W inverter and I would never go back to the old RV type fridge. I have driven 13 hours with no issues. The truck alt will keep the batteries charged with no problem.

I do have two 6V golf cart batteries in the 5er and I do not boondock.

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There you have it. Bigger battery bank and solar. Charge those batteries to 100% BEFORE you leave the house. Get thet fridge as cols as possible BEFORE you leave the house.

djousma

SW Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/21 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't let the nay sayers discourage. Residential fridge is the bomb, unless you camp off the grid a lot. You do need to turn the inverter on however, and is probably what you didn't do. I leave ours on all the time, it will switch to shore power automatically.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Residential fridge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.