Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Gasser guys and gals ...why not a diesel ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gasser guys and gals ...why not a diesel ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
LandYacht35diesel

Florida STAYcation

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Richard ... what specifically failed ? Could you have adapted a Allison trans to a BBF ? I know they have adapters for a big block Mopar.

Now spending THREE LARGE on that upgrade would be money well spent !

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 11:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi LandYacht35diesel,

I have never been to Hawaii.

As far as I am aware I did not have an Allison transmission.

There were lots of other issues--but the log book is not in my possession.

I have had almost zero problems with my E-450 v10.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/21 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, my decision was cost. For the same floorplan, the diesels were $75,000 more than my gas Class A. For the amount of miles I put on the motorhome a year, that cost didn't make sense to me. I guess if I lived out west and was driving in the mountains all the time, I might have considered paying the extra cost.

I know the Smokey mountains are not the Rockys but I have driven a lot of miles in the Smokeys towing our Jeep and my gas Class A did just fine.

Burch

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
3 fur kids (Monty, Lola and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy)

Mike W

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know many of you are having fun beating each other over the head with your experiences and I too enjoy it. And I for one, still deciding, find it useful. Any additional detail or depth on cost related items would be great. Like is it really $235 for an oil change? They just tried to charge my daughter $75 for one on an older sedan, so maybe 235 isn't that far off? Can that job be done DIY? Again, this is helpful. Thanks

1987 Executive Diplomat 35
Sad Days
Sold my baby
">

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I don't offer the list of problems as proof that diesels are bad. It was merely a reply to a question.

I do know of warranty problems on Sprinter diesels. But that is just one company.

The $235 oil change was at a trucker's repair shop near Collingwood Ontario. I could find no other location that was able to do the work--but that's another problem with diesel. The repair shops are much less frequent, and often busy as the dickens.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

15 quarts of Motorcraft 15/40 oil and one oil filter for my diesel cost about $65.50.
7 quarts of Motorcraft 5/20 oil and one oil filter for my gasoline cost about $35.00

The difference in a diesel and a gas powered RV sitting in a campsite is the difference in the weight of the chassis and powerplant. One is a much heavier chunk of metal. On the road the difference is HP and TQ. Many diesels have less HP than many gasoline; many have more. Most diesels win in TQ. The heavier RV needs more energy to move it. Diesel wins hands down in the noise category; side by side and running the gas engine cannot be heard over the diesel engine noise.

Lancslad

SE VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

15 quarts of Motorcraft 15/40 oil and one oil filter for my diesel cost about $65.50.
7 quarts of Motorcraft 5/20 oil and one oil filter for my gasoline cost about $35.00

The difference in a diesel and a gas powered RV sitting in a campsite is the difference in the weight of the chassis and powerplant. One is a much heavier chunk of metal. On the road the difference is HP and TQ. Many diesels have less HP than many gasoline; many have more. Most diesels win in TQ. The heavier RV needs more energy to move it. Diesel wins hands down in the noise category; side by side and running the gas engine cannot be heard over the diesel engine noise.

You missed the Fuel filter, possibly the coolant filter and the need for DEF and on newer engines the requirment of an exhaust recirc. There is also the DEF sensor shutdown problem which is not yet solved.

2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 01:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never needed one as my Dodge Ram 2500 V10 and other Ram 1500 V8 was more than enough. And yes I could easily afford the gas for the V10.

LandYacht35diesel

Florida STAYcation

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 01:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well welcome home namMED ... firefly69er here ....

AFFORD that fuel bill on that V10 ? ... ouch !

What kind of an RV do you have ?

LandYacht35diesel

Florida STAYcation

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 01:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the peeps about a DIY oil change ? ... just do it !

No mo 235$ bills !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gasser guys and gals ...why not a diesel ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.