Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Never saw this before!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Never saw this before!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I'm screwed. [emoticon] [emoticon]

I'm over my trucks GVWR but under on the tires.

So far the only report about GVWR being check come from British Columbia, so better avoid the province.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike/kellie wrote:

I think we're talking generally of 3500 series trucks. Taking this forward 1 step as to limit this to truck campers exclusively, there are states that describe truck campers as " cargo". Now we seem to have just gotten included-

But it *IS* cargo... when it's convenient.

"No RVs" - It's cargo.
"No cargo" - It's an RV.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Montana we have the "road rangers",lol, the portable scales troopers. They can and will pull over anything, from MH's towing full size trucks to big cargo trailers, to a 1/2 ton pickup with a huge load.Just because you can put a hitch on it does not mean the chassis is certified to do it. They also check your diesel for dye, and can do an inspection,and refuse to allow you to continue. If a OTR TT driver is pulled over,you can bet he will be having a bad day.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

But it *IS* cargo... when it's convenient.

"No RVs" - It's cargo.
"No cargo" - It's an RV.

I used this logic when saw "no RV" in Monument Valley and drove my rig there.
But to consider it as RV, you should have that in truck registration, where only handful of members have it this way.
When you have "commercial" in truck registration, you are on hook. Not only at scales, but also in lot of residential areas, where about every bigger city has "no commercial parking" ordinance.
Whole issue is that even those laws are VERY old, they were not enforced in the past. Now some LE jurisdictions are starving for revenue and I already heard about DOT scales by passers chases.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

Scoob, I drive through your state often. They’d have no reason to stop me for a weight violation because I’m not a resident of MO, and I’m not engaged in commerce. If either were true, it’d be a different story.

[emoticon][emoticon]

What the registration on your truck says?
In most of the states any truck is registered as commercial and so far I only hear about California, who allows changing the registration to RV when you keep the camper on it. If you read the laws, RVs are exempt from lot of commercial laws and you can drive 80,000 lb RV rig without CDL.
DOT scales and inspection sites apply to all qualifying vehicles, regardless original registration.

It’s just a regular tag and registration like a car would have. Not commercial. Sometimes it’s good to be from a backwards, toothless, straw hat wearing, tobacco spitting, hillbilly state. [emoticon]

OK used to be, and maybe still is, like CA in that all pickups were tagged with commercial plates. But guess what, commercial plates were cheaper there than regular plates. It may have changed by now, because I know it got abused a lot.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 1999 F450 was registered in CA at its 9000 lb net weight for years, till about 10 years ago CA added weight stickers, who go on the cabin sides.
I got pulled over by DOT officer and got "fix it" ticket to register the truck at declared weight. Since I was also pulling heavy trailers, the 30K sticker cost me additional $600 in weigh fee.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

All engaged in commerce I’d bet.

Engaged in commerce? And by interstate compact, if AR doesn’t require a front plate, it’s not required anywhere.

Over my lifetime I have spent a lot of time studying for holes in weight laws. Never once have I seen it listed that a vehicle must be used in commerce for load limits. As for the plate, sure you need to hang it where the state that issues says it belongs. If you do, you are legal. OTOH, it is not unreasonable for LEO to check that you are registered.

I think you just made my point. Pay the appropriate tax, you’re golden. LEO’s make discretionary choices like that all the time. As someone said recently, “People will do what they do”.

That 37 year old Autocar was labeled "Not for Hire". The LEO asked what I was doing with the rock. When I told him it would be a challenge to backspread thru the mudhole next to house with the trailer he did not check most of what would be expected on a CMV stop.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the pull me over mentality if I’m wrong. One of the WA truck scales near Spokane goes off no matter if it’s an RV/rental truck, etc. It seems to have a weight/height trigger.

I drove over a couple of times in two different sized Uhaul trucks, and it still went off. Of course, it’s not required to stop with a rental truck for personal use. Nobody chased me down. Not that it would have been hard since I was just going the 60 mph speed limit. [emoticon]

I’m not sure why you think a TC can be an RV or cargo based on only the licensing. In MT, there is no license for TCs, trailers are generally permanently licensed, and so are motorcycles/atv/utvs. That doesn’t change what they are.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In CA, pickups are defined and registered as commercial vehicles. You can register one as an RV, but can never carry ANYTHING in the bed after that.

Also in CA, the DMV defines a truck camper as a "pickup with a load". However the health department classifies it as an RV because it has cooking and sleeping facilities.

Finally in CA, the trucks have outdated the laws. A pickup is defined as 11,000 GVW or less. Most duallies are now 14,000 GVW, and are therefore not pickups under the law, must have a weight sticker on the door and stop at weigh stations. Practically speaking none do and I believe you would be waved on. But I haven't tested that.

When I bought my F350 the dealer registered it as a 14,000 lb commercial vehicle. If you look at the DMV registration categories, it really doesn't fit any of them, dating from before 14K pickups. It took me several months and about 6 hours at the DMV to get them to change the registration category to "pickup". I think technically this downgrades it to 11,000 GVW, introducing the risk that I could be ticketed, fined, and taxed for being over (about 13,200 w/camper).

Bypassing a weigh station that you are legally required to stop in (in CA) isn't just and infraction, it is a criminal offense - a misdemeanor - if they want to get serious.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HMS Beagle wrote:

Bypassing a weigh station that you are legally required to stop in (in CA) isn't just and infraction, it is a criminal offense - a misdemeanor - if they want to get serious.

Good to know, even I experienced minimal law enforcement on the event.
When I was changing truck/TC combo CA registration to RV (about 8 years ago), they had specific category for it, that I could never memorize. It is not RV, unless they changed it since.
Still changing commercial to "RV" registration on dully saves several hundred$$$
I also think tickets for parking RV in "no RV" jurisdictions are less than for parking commercials.
Knowing all those issues from the past, I went long way to register my Sprinter conversion as Sport Van. For some reasons, now Nevada would not register it as limo.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Never saw this before!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.