Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Never saw this before!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Never saw this before!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice….a good ole DOT weight discussion!

PS Kayteg, In most state light duty not automatically register as commercial, as you put it. Only a few states I’m aware of do that, but most don’t.

Thank the lord for small favors like, not all states are like Cali!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

10,000 pounds on four or six tires (1,666 to 2,500 pounds) isn't what any state is concerned with regarding the destruction of pavement. An 18 wheeler at 80,000 pounds is almost 4,500 pounds per tire.

It’s not about weight per tire, it’s about weight per inch of tire width.
Big-truck psi isn’t really so much. They’re big tires.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I learned pretty quick after moving to AR over 20 years ago that even the states that border us don’t really expect much in the way of knowledge or wisdom from us. So, I do my best to not dispel that notion.

The last time I got stopped, which may very well have been in MO to ask where my tag is, or maybe it was just after I took this photo, I don’t remember.

[image]

Anyway, the officer walks up to my side and says (remember, he’s a native southerner himself):

“Son, yew got’nee eye-dee???”

I gave him my best AR duma$$ look and said:

[emoticon] ‘bout wut??? [emoticon]

Things continued downhill from there. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

specta wrote:

I'm screwed. [emoticon] [emoticon]

I'm over my trucks GVWR but under on the tires.

So far the only report about GVWR being check come from British Columbia, so better avoid the province.

Thanks, that wont be a problem for me. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

I learned pretty quick after moving to AR over 20 years ago that even the states that border us don’t really expect much in the way of knowledge or wisdom from us. So, I do my best to not dispel that notion.

The last time I got stopped, which may very well have been in MO to ask where my tag is, or maybe it was just after I took this photo, I don’t remember.

[image]

Anyway, the officer walks up to my side and says (remember, he’s a native southerner himself):

“Son, yew got’nee eye-dee???”

I gave him my best AR duma$$ look and said:

[emoticon] ‘bout wut??? [emoticon]

Things continued downhill from there. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

LMAO!

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I agree with the pull me over mentality if I’m wrong. One of the WA truck scales near Spokane goes off no matter if it’s an RV/rental truck, etc. It seems to have a weight/height trigger.

I drove over a couple of times in two different sized Uhaul trucks, and it still went off. Of course, it’s not required to stop with a rental truck for personal use. Nobody chased me down. Not that it would have been hard since I was just going the 60 mph speed limit. [emoticon]

I’m not sure why you think a TC can be an RV or cargo based on only the licensing. In MT, there is no license for TCs, trailers are generally permanently licensed, and so are motorcycles/atv/utvs. That doesn’t change what they are.

Scale houses can set the data triggers for the weigh-in-motions. Between certain weights, over a certain weight, wide open, over a certain number of axles, etc.

In this truck..which I supposed looks commercial to many..we've traveled in 17 states since 2019, and BC (before Covid..lol), and have yet to pull into a scale (except closed one's to check myself).

I'm flagged more often than not, as we run around at about 27-28k, but do not pull in. Oregon is a "must state"..anything over 26k. Trust me, they don't want you to and no one does. Washington is technically a "must state" also, at 16k. Again...they seriously don't want RV's on the scales. Don't do it.

It's an open debate on this forum, but it is subject to individual laws of each state. Generally, RV's are exempt. I run with the "didn't know, oops, my bad" thought process. Face it folks: they're not looking at RV's as a revenue source. The fines we'd pay are paltry compared to the reality of commercial overweight tickets.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 12:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Nice….a good ole DOT weight discussion!

PS Kayteg, In most state light duty not automatically register as commercial, as you put it. Only a few states I’m aware of do that, but most don’t.

Thank the lord for small favors like, not all states are like Cali!

I actually missed cheaper and easier California fees.
Clark County (Las Vegas) has only commercial registration for trucks, what cost more in registration than even commercial in CA, while insurance tripled to what I paid in CA.
Much cheaper real estate and cost of living in Las Vegas compensate it well, but still.
From what I remember, my brother in WA is not paying much less for registration than I do, but his biggest truck is Toyota 4 Runner.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The registration for my 2500 doesn't even list a weight on it.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/21 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly, I pay for weight even on a scooter. My state passed a registration fee cap by voters, so now they just add other fees they claim are not registration but still required to renew tags.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

The registration for my 2500 doesn't even list a weight on it.

Again, at this point CA seems to be only state, that require declaration of GCWV and gives door stickers with declared (and paid) weight.
Other states seem sooner or later to follow what CA does, so I bet it is coming to you.
Enjoy as long as you can.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Never saw this before!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.