Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Wheel Bearings - re-grease?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Wheel Bearings - re-grease?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My biggest concern would be the tires. OP stated they were installed in 2019; however they could be older. Best indicator is the date code on the tires.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hook up and go!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

I would just go, don't worry about it... ALL too many folks are overkill with RV bearings....

2oldman wrote:

I haven't done anything to mine in 8 years and they're fine. I do keep watch on the temperature.

Dave H M wrote:

me, I would not do it. Way too much hype and legend in this arena.

If it is worth the effort and money to make you feel more at ease then you gotta do it.

Hmm..

Let's see what Dexter Axle has to say?

Dexter Service manual

"Page 13

Brakes should be adjusted

(1) after the first 200 miles of operation
when the brake shoes and drums have “seated,”

(2) at 3,000 mile
intervals,

(3) or as use and performance requires.

Page 49

Along with bearing adjustment, proper lubrication is essential to
the proper function and reliability of your trailer axle. Bearings
should be lubricated every 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Page 57

5. Bearing units should be inspected every year or 12,000
miles whichever comes first."

Page 80 also contains full maintenance schedule.

Granted the OPs unit may be "newish", but it does zero harm to visually verify that:

1- Bearings are greased sufficiently (factory tends to just grease them enough to assemble them).

2- Bearings are correctly adjusted

3- Brakes are sufficiently broke in and adjusted.

4- Brakes, mechanical parts and drum surfaces are in good shape, not scored, heavily rusted, pitted or worn (light rust from setting is normal and rubs off with normal use).

This is called Preventative Maintenance (PM) which is to prevent future disaster from happening while on the road which is clearly ignored by the folks I quoted..

As they say, "ignorance is bliss"..

Do I think it is OK for the OP to go ahead?

Maybe, but then again, maybe not, I would hate to be the one that egged on one to ignore PMs in the event that something did fail..

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2k since the brgs were repacked? Heck no, load up and go, especially having sat inside, mostly out of the weather. Prob a bit of rust on the brake drums, but I would not consider pulling them apart until having used them for a bit. Pull it out, go forward and back, applying the brakes, a dozen times, then freewheel and see if any of the brakes drag(doubtful). If not,hit the road.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He said that it was "greased" 2,000 miles ago. If that included a complete cleaning and inspection of the bearings and then a repack with the proper grease followed by the correct bearing and brake adjustment, then he is good to go for thousands of miles. What are the chances that the service was done correctly?

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

He said that it was "greased" 2,000 miles ago. If that included a complete cleaning and inspection of the bearings and then a repack with the proper grease followed by the correct bearing and brake adjustment, then he is good to go for thousands of miles. What are the chances that the service was done correctly?

OP also mentioned that is has been sitting for 2 yrs..

Dexters recommendation is 1yr or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I can also attest to the fact that even just sitting around water can definitely find it's way into the bearings.. Have had that happen to my flatbed utility trailer and no it was never immersed in water.

Doesn't hurt to pull and check condition of grease, doing so saved me the loss of a set of bearings and possibly the axle.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

OP also mentioned that is has been sitting for 2 yrs..

Dexters recommendation is 1yr or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I can also attest to the fact that even just sitting around water can definitely find it's way into the bearings.. Have had that happen to my flatbed utility trailer and no it was never immersed in water.

Doesn't hurt to pull and check condition of grease, doing so saved me the loss of a set of bearings and possibly the axle.

Since we are following Dexter's service manual, did they mention how to adjust the brakes on page 13?

If the OP went out after the first year of sitting in the shed, and greased the bearings, would they be due again now a year later, still parked in the shed?

Jerry

* This post was edited 10/20/21 03:55pm by MFL *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drive on!!!

IH_Fan

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/21 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the comments and advice everyone - Truly appreciated!

I know I’m asking months in advance but we are very excited about getting south again and spending time with our American friends! Thanks again!

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 01:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost every year I used a trailer shop to check and adjust TT brakes and re grease the bearings using synthetic grease and never any problems with hard towing in the Rockies and western mountains, deserts of USA.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Wheel Bearings - re-grease?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.