Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Use it or Lose it
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Use it or Lose it

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve always considered myself fairly intelligent, but I guess, at 77 yrs old, some cognitive decline can be expected. I was using my banking app on my PC recently, and attempting to perform a simple equation on a paper pad, 2193.61 minus 682.22 = ?. For quite a long time, I’ve been using either the calculator on my phone or PC app with the result that I’ve begun having difficulty with simple math equations written out on paper. A 4th grader could probably figure it out in 30 seconds. After taking a few minutes, attempting to perform the calculation, I finally resorted to using the calculator on my PC. I suppose the old saying, “Use it or lose it” has merit when it comes to cognitive decline. I plan to practice simple math so I can regain some of that function, hopefully. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You aren't alone. In fact your likely part of the majority at this point. Complete reliance on technology, no one can do simple math easily and forget about remembering things like phone numbers. I task myself when going out to dinner to calculate the tip in my head. Not an overly complicated task but it helps. When woodworking a I also still do my best work out angles and calculations on paper. I try and teach my son - who has recently graduated from HS and knows more about calculus and physics - than I ever will, how to apply that to real world things.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before I retired I could, while driving the truck, calculate the haul rate after lease took his pinch, then with payload, what my gross revenue, use GPS miles to figure $ per mile. And how far I could deadhead to next load and keep per mile pay above the floor I set.
Sitting in coffee shop, a driver could tell me how long their truck was, front to back axle, and how many axles, and I could tell them what they could gross within bridge law limits.
But can no longer tell wife answer when she wants to know how much 3 yards of fabric will cost.

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I make quilts and if I don’t fall asleep, sometimes figure fabric yardage needed for a project in my head. So far, I can do this at 74.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I try to balance the checkbook on paper,I usually get 2 different answers. I take the higher balance number until the bank says different,which is in a few days.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried writing a letter in long hand lately?
I learned to write back in the day of fountain pens, filled out pages of notes etc over the years.
Now I sometimes stumble signing my name. The words are there but the dexterity is gone.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do have to admit that using Calc app makes one lazy math wise.

I was able to do the calculation mentally

I still recall once at an amusement park some kids said "How fast does this coaster go" Well we knew the height of the main drop. I Eyewballed a few things can came out with 70MPH give or take a couple for rounding.

Attendant said 72 when we got to the gate

V=AT, S=1/2 ATT (A tines T Squared)
V=Velocity
S=Distance
A=accelleration (32 feet per second per second)
T= Time

I had to guess how much the "Train" reduced the drop. ((They eyeball part)

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

When I try to balance the checkbook on paper,I usually get 2 different answers. I take the higher balance number until the bank says different,which is in a few days.

LOL! I haven’t written a check in years although I have a checking account. I don’t even have printed checks since I always use credit cards . Same with postage stamps, I have zero since I do most everything online. In those rare instances where I need to mail something I just buy one stamp. Has worked out well for years now. [emoticon]

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I do have to admit that using Calc app makes one lazy math wise.

I was able to do the calculation mentally

I still recall once at an amusement park some kids said "How fast does this coaster go" Well we knew the height of the main drop. I Eyewballed a few things can came out with 70MPH give or take a couple for rounding.

Attendant said 72 when we got to the gate

V=AT, S=1/2 ATT (A tines T Squared)
V=Velocity
S=Distance
A=accelleration (32 feet per second per second)
T= Time

I had to guess how much the "Train" reduced the drop. ((They eyeball part)

WOW! If you can figure that out, you’re not likely to suffer from cognitive decline. [emoticon]

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also am 77 years old , what surprises me is all these olde folks are the same age as me !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Use it or Lose it
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.