Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Windshield washer OK for winterizing waterlines?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Windshield washer OK for winterizing waterlines?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Eskimo007

L'Orignal

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Canada near Ottawa, and I will be leaving our Sunseeker 24 outside this winter. I went to Canadian Tire to buy some antifreeze to put in the waterlines for the toilet, shower etc and the clerk said to use some windshield washer. Is that good or bad advice?
Last year, I bought some Hall-Chem "economical plumbing antifreeze" that contains non toxic Ethanol and propylene glycol.
The stuff I am thinking of using is labeled "all season windshield washer fluid -35" but says POISON, so am somewhat concerned/doubtful... It doesnt say what's in it. It is blue instead of pink.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/21 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it says poison then don’t use it in any RV system. Only use anti freeze designed for RV water systems. It is a good idea to make sure your windshield washer fluid contains washer fluid safe to -35 though. When you pour it in, run the windshield washer to make sure the fluid gets through the lines.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad advise, except maybe for an emergency. WW fluid is methanol. Lets look at it--
Emergency and Hazards Overview
DANGER: (Skull & Crossbone symbol) POISON. MAY BE FATAL OR CAUSE BLINDNESS IF
SWALLOWED. VAPOR HARMFUL. FLAMMABLE.

RV antifreeze is PROPYLENE GLYCOL, relativly safe. Plus,the methanol might affect the plumbing.

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I would be talking to the manager about the idiot clerk trying to kill customers.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Windshield washer fluid is a brightly-colored liquid made of methanol, a poisonous alcohol. Sometimes, small amounts of other toxic alcohols, such as ethylene glycol, are added to the mixture.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002803.htm

I agree. Someone needs to educate that person before someone is harmed.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/21 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Windshield washer fluid is NOT acceptable to winterize your water lines. Do not use it.

The stuff to use is non-toxic RV antifreeze. Use nothing else, except air. Blow out the lines with a low pressure air compressor (20 psi is plenty, but under no circumstances more than about 50 psi) to remove as much water as possible, then fill those lines with the pink RV antifreeze. Though more expensive than windshield washer fluid, it is a LOT cheaper than a liver transplant. Trust me on that one.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You received poor advice. Do not put poison in your water system.
If you can't find the proper antifreeze, blow out your water lines.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a shop vacuum that you can put the hose on the output, blower, use that to blow out the fresh water lines.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy the correct rv or boat non toxic antifreeze.
There is alcohol base rv antifreeze as well. That is less expensive but can leave a taste in the lines.

https://recvehicle.com/winterization-and-rv-antifreeze/

Don't forget to pump it thru the outside shower if you have one.

Pour a cup of rv antifreeze down each drain as well . Sinks and shower.

MDKMDK

Free(er), for now, until the next "variant"

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eskimo007 wrote:

I live in Canada near Ottawa, and I will be leaving our Sunseeker 24 outside this winter. I went to Canadian Tire to buy some antifreeze to put in the waterlines for the toilet, shower etc and the clerk said to use some windshield washer. Is that good or bad advice?
Last year, I bought some Hall-Chem "economical plumbing antifreeze" that contains non toxic Ethanol and propylene glycol.
The stuff I am thinking of using is labeled "all season windshield washer fluid -35" but says POISON, so am somewhat concerned/doubtful... It doesnt say what's in it. It is blue instead of pink.

If it's just going down the toilet or shower drains, it should work to resist freezing in the traps. I think someone said in an emergency?
The concern is what the ingredients in the ww antifreeze might do to the seals and valves it will come into contact with downstream. Pure alcohols will cause harm to rubber, and who knows what else, in the short plumbing run from those appliances (shower/toilet) to the exit drains.
The pink stuff usually has added lubricants, and is less likely to damage plumbing componenets.
If you can, use the pink stuff, before the blue stuff.

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Windshield washer OK for winterizing waterlines?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.