Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Winter Storage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Winter Storage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/21 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love this. We really found your button, didn't we? I wish I had another quarter to drop in your jukebox and watch you sing some more. [emoticon]

And for the fire starter, I try not to use gas very often because it just goes "boom" and blows your firewood out of the ring. I keep a jug of old diesel in the bed of the truck and use that at camp. It's hard to light if it's really cold out, but once it's lit, hooo doggie that's a good fire. No need for crumpled up newspaper.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW - Do you have separate fuel tanks on your hauler for the fuel station and the gen? Have you ran the gen down too far yet and had to pump it from one tank to the other?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I love this. We really found your button, didn't we? I wish I had another quarter to drop in your jukebox and watch you sing some more. [emoticon]

You funny guy! LOL
I figger it's being helpful, better than saying "that dumb, this not" without any context.

No, our trailer has only 1 tank that feeds the generator and hooked to the fuel station.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

No, our trailer has only 1 tank that feeds the generator and hooked to the fuel station.

That's how our old Weekend Warrior was. Our pump never worked very well, so it didn't really matter much. Plus we all rode bikes back then and didn't burn through as much gas as we do now.

Our new(er) hauler is a bigger 45' fifth wheel and we have the two tanks. Luckily the fuel station works great on this one. I just have to remember to loosen the gas cap on the fuel station before I pump any gas out, or else the tank will crush itself like a beer can.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/21 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

What works is to disconnect the batteries and leave them in place.

For fuel I do the last two fillups with premium gas, and add the appropriate amount of Seafoam. I do the same for the generator.

In my case, I do not disconnect the batteries as all are maintained by the solar system. The starter batteries via a Trik-L-Start and the generator battery by a relay that closes when solar reaches 13.5 volts. I have extremely thin wire on the source wire to the relay to limit amperage.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crazbs,

You have most of it right and Pianotuna has a lot right too.

If the disconnected batteries are good, they should only discharge about 1% of their capacity PER MONTH in the cold. If you are worried about that, go find a couple of solar battery keepers that they use in car storage lots. These are cheap and they are about 5 watt and that is plenty to offset the leakage discharge.

I (as an engine professional for multiple decades) am convinced that the "Exercise The Generator" is put up by the people that sell parts for them. I guess it may be good if you can't follow the instructions to drain or at least limit the left over fuel in the carburetor. I have several 40+yo Onans and a Honda near that same age. None get regular exercise and all will start right now if I put fuel in them. (Except for the waiting for a minor repair.) So, find out how to drain the carburetor or at least run it out (draining is better).

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/21 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you were driving the vehicle enough for the oils to get hot and the exhaust to burn off liquid, you weren't helping anything and potentially hurting it.

Same with the generator, unless you got it to operating temperature and put it under load for a specified amount of time, you aren't helping it at all.

I'm not sure if Seafoam is a fuel preservative or not, but if you fill the tanks put something in that will preserve the fuel. Stabil fuel or Startron are my preferred options. I've been using Startron in my small engines for about 10 years now with no issues over the winter. If keeps the ethanol from separating and the fuel from going to garbage. I drain the carbs so the fuel doesn't gum up over the winte rtoo.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/21 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

I'm not sure if Seafoam is a fuel preservative or not, but if you fill the tanks put something in that will preserve the fuel. Stabil fuel or Startron are my preferred options.

Hi spoon059,

I've not used Startron, but Seaform works better for storage for me than Stabil.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/21 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi spoon059,

I've not used Startron, but Seaform works better for storage for me than Stabil.

I didn't know that. I've used Seafoam in the past on my GM engine that would get carbon buildup. Looking at it, it requires an ounce per gallon? That's $10 for a 16 gallon tank!

Startron is an ounce per 16 gallons. I buy the 32 oz container for $20 that treats 512 gallons.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/21 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

What works is to disconnect the batteries and leave them in place.

For fuel I do the last two fillups with premium gas, and add the appropriate amount of Seafoam. I do the same for the generator.

In my case, I do not disconnect the batteries as all are maintained by the solar system. The starter batteries via a Trik-L-Start and the generator battery by a relay that closes when solar reaches 13.5 volts. I have extremely thin wire on the source wire to the relay to limit amperage.

For clarity, I assume you mean physically disconnect the batteries - not relying on the disconnect switch. As we all know, the disconnect switch can often leave a parasitic draw and drain them.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Winter Storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.