Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best truck for large 5th Wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Best truck for large 5th Wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think there is really a wrong answer to any of the questions. Any of the available 1 ton SRW's would manage that weight just fine. If you would prefer a DRW that obviously would make sense as well. I use my 3500 SRW for business as well as pulling my TH so the long box makes the most sense for me. If I wasn't working out of it, I would probably be in a 6.5 box. My '18 3500 SRW weighs 30K combined routinely moving equipment, and it manages the weight well. The newer models have more capacity than this truck does. So you weigh the pros and cons of DRW and decide for yourself. Everyone's priorities are different. Good problem to have though.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on your usage, yes either a srw or drw will work. Mostly dragging the camper around, I’d go dually.
If you do, that only leaves you one option for a short bed, but I’d also get a long bed given a blank slate to get whatever I wanted.
Brand? Different discussion but any of the big 3 will be just fine and then some.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had 2 3500 chev duallys. The reason was for towing and nothing else. having towed for many years I know it was the best for us. Never had a reason to feel different. long box is what we like. Hope you get what you will enjoy for many trips.

chevman PS we really miss our alpenlite

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

'My truck's unladen rear axle (hitch installed) weighs about 3470 lbs. My trucks's GRAWR is 7230 lbs. So a pin weight of around 3700lbs should be just fine.'

Based on this, it sounds like a 1 ton will have room to spare. I am just not sure if this is all I need to consider.

I heard stability in wind and rain may make a dually a better choice. Is there a big difference?

I may have to look at a lighter 5th wheel. I have never driven a dually, except for a motorhome. My preference seems to be a 1 ton SRW.

Coming from a f150, it is hard to imagine a 1 ton not being enough. Live to learn.

Any suggestions on high quality 5th wheels on the lighter end of the scale (15k) loaded?

Thank you for all the replies.

MC

The thing you want to avoid is loading your fiver in such a way as to generate a light pin. A 17k fiver with only a 2600 lb pin will not tow as nice behind a SRW truck as a 17k fiver with a 3600 lb pin weight behind that same truck, regardless of what the numbers say. No matter what you do there will be some sort of compromise .... getting a lighter trailer will likely mean compromising quality or size. A dually will require some compromise while unhooked. The SRW one ton might mean compromising on some weight numbers.

2022 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would ask you wife what she is most comfortable with. She's more important than the truck or trailer.

Crespro

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

'My truck's unladen rear axle (hitch installed) weighs about 3470 lbs. My trucks's GRAWR is 7230 lbs. So a pin weight of around 3700lbs should be just fine.'

Based on this, it sounds like a 1 ton will have room to spare. I am just not sure if this is all I need to consider.

I heard stability in wind and rain may make a dually a better choice. Is there a big difference?

I may have to look at a lighter 5th wheel. I have never driven a dually, except for a motorhome. My preference seems to be a 1 ton SRW.

Coming from a f150, it is hard to imagine a 1 ton not being enough. Live to learn.

Any suggestions on high quality 5th wheels on the lighter end of the scale (15k) loaded?

Thank you for all the replies.

MC

We looked hard at a Solitude 373 and a dually F-350. We decided to go with a 310GK-R and an F-250 with 7.3 and 4.30 axle. It was the right choice for us. We added a dishwasher, washer/dryer, new gas range with convection oven and sleep number king bed.

Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Best truck for large 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.