Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Carrying a 500 lb motorcycle on the back of a Solitude 5er
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Carrying a 500 lb motorcycle on the back of a Solitude 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As most are stating, it can be done.. The issue will be the factory receiver, MOST of them are rated for 300# carry capacity, or 3,000# tow capacity… that carry capacity would NEED to be beefed up..

There are a couple members on here that haul their HD’s on the rear end of their fiver…BUT ALL made modifications

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

As most are stating, it can be done.. The issue will be the factory receiver, MOST of them are rated for 300# carry capacity, or 3,000# tow capacity… that carry capacity would NEED to be beefed up..

There are a couple members on here that haul their HD’s on the rear end of their fiver…BUT ALL made modifications

Yes, like most, mine says 300/3000. Mine is reinforced with heavy square tubing, that I think is much more capable than 300 lbs tongue wt. I am thinking the manufacturers real issue, with this limit, is the FW suspension, and maybe reduced pin wt. In any case, I would never hang 500 lbs on rear.

Jerry

klr650goldwing

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone, your comments are much appreciated. I'm going to check out a small enclosed all-aluminum trailer pulled behind the 5th wheel. It does have limitations, but won't hurt the 5er.

2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow my Harley on a Kendon Motorcycle Trailer. It’s nice as you can stand it up when not in use.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/21 04:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klr650goldwing wrote:

Thanks everyone, your comments are much appreciated. I'm going to check out a small enclosed all-aluminum trailer pulled behind the 5th wheel. It does have limitations, but won't hurt the 5er.

[image]

This is what I use, behind my FW. With a swivel wheel jack on tongue, it's easy to drop little trailer, move it as needed. I have carried 3 bikes at times, with no problem. Second trailer rides/follows nicely, even when turning. I'm sure you know to adjust bike position, to get proper tongue weight.

Jerry

jdb7566

minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/21 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why waste your time on this forum and get a bunch of opinions? Call Grand Design. I know of a couple who lost both bicycles on a bike rack attached to the bumper on their Solitude. I do know the hitch is rated to 300#

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talking to Grand Design is going to be the waste of time. They will go with a standard CYA: "Don't even think about it!!".

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

11-1,200# with a couple hundred # tongue weight shown. Takes up little space at our destinations.

[image]
[image]

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron, that is considered "double tow" and I know that anywhere in the EAST that is NOT permitted..

Quote - "In general, you'll find that every state along the Atlantic Coast bans double towing except for Maryland. Hawaii, Washington and Oregon also make it illegal to double tow"

That's why folks look for the swivel wheel trailer.... That is NOT considered a double tow. I believe ?? Someone here will correct me if I am wrong.....

Here - Swivel Wheel by Cruiser Lift

On edit, It LOOKS like it will depend on how you want to interpret the local state laws -

quote -"A frequent question asked is if the Swivelwheel system is legal to tow in all states. There are basically 22 states that do not allow double trailer towing, some of them call it triple towing. We consider the system an extension of the Fifth wheel or motor home. (Not a Trailer).

Although we do not agree, The State of New York has decided to re-class our swivelwheel system therefore, it could fall under the double/triple towing law.

A trailer is classified by a ball mount, our Swivelwheel system does not utilize a ball mount. There are other classifications but the Swivelwheel just does not meet them. For more information please call our toll free # 1-866-794-8357 or Email: [email protected]

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, I traveled through, and stayed in, several eastern states including Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia, and Georgia pulling a Smart Trailer, which is a swivelwheel-type trailer. I was never given so much as a second glance in any of those states, or any others AFATG. Of course, YMMV.

I moved to using a toyhauler about 10 years ago, and haven't looked back.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Carrying a 500 lb motorcycle on the back of a Solitude 5er
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.