Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I think I am beginning to understand...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I think I am beginning to understand...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks opnspaces. I did not notice the minus sign.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For clarification: There is not one perfect RV, so I did add some plus and minus attributes of truck campers.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had driven to Portland, OR to visit my daughter and her family - we had a popup truck camper and boy, was I glad for that! Daughter's small cars couldn't carry all of us to the interesting places she wanted us to see/visit, so we followed with the truck/TC. Daughter CLEARLY had no concept of where an RV can or cannot go - but narrow, steep roads with low overhanging branches (or tight urban streets) simply didn't pose a problem and we visited some amazing places!!

Biggest drawbacks to a p/u TC: even less storage space (no overhead cabinets). The climb in and out of a small door. However, IMO, the ability to go where a large SUV can fit, is priceless! And we were able to camp in some incredibly-beautiful places along the Oregon coast!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

For clarification: There is not one perfect RV, so I did add some plus and minus attributes of truck campers.

But you can make perfect RV for your current needs.
Our big TC were good when we've been on 9 weeks long trips across the America.
But since we signed off those long trips from our bucket list, I found Sprinter van with bus style front door, so I have convenient entrance that even old, small dogs can manage.
18 mpg helps in making fast trips to our family, who spread in 3000 miles circle.
Bottom line, your needs change and the perfect RV criteria change.
When I never plan to go on rough roads, Sprinters also come with 4WD.
The biggest negative for me with TC was that DW would not drive the behemoth. She just fly with the same length van.

* This post was edited 11/15/21 02:45pm by Kayteg1 *

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/21 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When considering any type of truck camper, bear in mind that "the truck is everything".
Never buy a truck camper without first studying the truck requirements for safely handling the camper weight.

2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Biggest drawbacks to a p/u TC: even less storage space (no overhead cabinets). The climb in and out of a small door. However, IMO, the ability to go where a large SUV can fit, is priceless! And we were able to camp in some incredibly-beautiful places along the Oregon coast!

that depends on the model. I have overhead cabnets above the sink and stove, and all the way across the ushaped dinet. all the newer ones I have been looking at have lots also. for me the biggest drawback is the lack of outside storage, but I have found a few models that have a ton of that also.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My basement Fleetwood had tons of cabinet space and huge countertop.
We have never been weight savers, when coming from bus conversion I pulled over 2000 lb of camping stuff, but that camper had more storage that we would use, even on Alaskan trip.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I think I am beginning to understand...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.