Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I think I am beginning to understand...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I think I am beginning to understand...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been RVing for 15+ years, started with a hard sided Aliner popup. Went to a 22' TT for 4.5 years before trading it in on a 24' Class C. Then added a couple of open trailers to tow my motorcycles ending with my current {and last} a 6 X 10', 8' tall cargo trailer.

Never had any interest in a Class A, fiver or truck camper until... My friend stopped by our place in Arizona with his truck camper and cargo trailer {that's my Cargo trailer back behind his}:

[image]

As you can see his truck is a long bed F-350, 7.3L diesel with a very nice TC pulling his 12' cargo trailer. We were very impressed with this set up. His trailer hauls his Harley Road Glide and a nice Yamaha dirt bike, mountain bike and a bunch of other stuff. I was already on board with the cargo trailer thing as ours works well {25K miles on it in the last 3+ years}. I haul either my Can Am Spyder or Polaris Rzr SXS, BBQ, LP cylinder, firewood and assorted tools and toys in addition to the buggy or bike.

I have no need for a truck large enough to be viable for a TC, I get by just fine with my Honda Ridgeline but really had my eyes opened to the possibilities that only a truck camper brings to the RV equation. No plans to change as our setup works great, is paid for and I will be 70 in a couple of weeks {old dogs and new tricks kind of a thing}. Might just have to start poking around the TC threads which could be dangerous... film at eleven!

[emoticon]

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome. Some of things that set a truck camper apart from your motorhome:

+Larger tow ratings
+4wd and diesel options
+Taller chassis clearances
+Ability to drop camper and use only the truck
-Less living and storage space
-Higher cost per square foot
-Higher climb into camper or bed
-Taller than many Class C's

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE

Lwiddis

Near Mammoth, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your friend’s rig is practical but not pretty and I’ve seen some very good looking combos like his. Just for me, dropping and reloading the camper was just too much since I stay only two nights or so before getting itchy feet.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam,

I don't see taller as an improvement--so long as one does not bang their head on the ceiling.

I'm thinking of low hanging branches--and the vent in my bathroom that fell on its sword. (In my lower than yours class c).

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Bedlam was talking about ground clearance. Most of the roads in the Western US have really high clearances in any case. I think it’s from clearing wide paths for fire trucks and log trucks.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I think Bedlam was talking about ground clearance. Most of the roads in the Western US have really high clearances in any case. I think it’s from clearing wide paths for fire trucks and log trucks.

His last point:

'-Taller than many Class C's "

He does mention better ground clearance.

I think TC's are able to go where even a 4 wheel drive class C can't. Drive in on two wheel drive--and back out on 4 wheel.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/21 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Virginia (and other states I'm sure) a TC is considered cargo and not a vehicle. Thus, no tags, inspection, or personal property tax on TCs.

happycamper1942

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't let your age stop you. I was 78 back in June (79 now) when I traded in my 5th wheel which I'd had for 11 years and bought a new truck camper. Since then we have used it for 42 nights, about a third of the time I've owned it.
To be fair, I owned 6 truck campers before the 5th wheel so I knew what we were getting into.
As long as you're mobile, go for it before its too late.[emoticon]

2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

jimh425 wrote:

His last point:

'-Taller than many Class C's "

He does mention better ground clearance.

I think TC's are able to go where even a 4 wheel drive class C can't. Drive in on two wheel drive--and back out on 4 wheel.

Don't overlook the minus sign in front of Taller than many Class C's

He put a plus in front of the positives and a minus in front of the negatives.

+Larger tow ratings
+4wd and diesel options
+Taller chassis clearances
+Ability to drop camper and use only the truck
-Less living and storage space
-Higher cost per square foot
-Higher climb into camper or bed
-Taller than many Class C's

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was very happy with my 2000 F250 7.3L diesel with slide in camper for many years and thought it may be our last truck camper setup since it was in good shape and only had a bit over 100K miles. Then my wife had her second knee replacement and could not handle the overhead bunk any more. So at 70 we sold the combo and bought a Class B. That was 3 years ago, the camper part suits us ok but the 5.4L gas engine does not have the pulling power I was use to when I pull my 12' enclosed trailer. Just more things to consider.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I think I am beginning to understand...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.