Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: AccessParks rant
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> AccessParks rant

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
2oldman

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is an internet provider in the campgrounds in the Lake Mead area. It isn't working, and it's been a nightmare trying to find anyone who can fix it. The camp hosts are less than concerned.

I was here last spring and it was working wonderfully, but now, I can't even stay connected, and I"m in the same site as I was in March. The antenna is no more than 200' away. Their "tech support" has been little help other than asking routine questions. I think I'm in line to get a refund, but I don't really know if that's happening either.

I'll gladly pay $15 a week for really good service since my phone is getting low on data, but that's not happening.

Lwiddis

Quartzsite, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/21 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Except you already paid for a camping spot that included WiFi. All I ask is provide what you say you provide.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes but how is the view and beautiful night stars and of course the great fishing at Mead. You picked a good time to be there in March sport.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/21 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It cost me $15 a month to make my phone a hotspot with T Mobile. It works great. Connect the phone to the laptop with a cable. Tap the hotspot function on the phone, and surf away. So much better than campground wifi and you can stop it when you don't want to pay for it anymore. Might be an option for you.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

This is an internet provider in the campgrounds in the Lake Mead area. It isn't working, and it's been a nightmare trying to find anyone who can fix it. The camp hosts are less than concerned.

I was here last spring and it was working wonderfully, but now, I can't even stay connected, and I"m in the same site as I was in March. The antenna is no more than 200' away. Their "tech support" has been little help other than asking routine questions. I think I'm in line to get a refund, but I don't really know if that's happening either.

I'll gladly pay $15 a week for really good service since my phone is getting low on data, but that's not happening.

Since you are paying for a campground space and not all the available amenities you will not get (or be due) a refund. If you are not happy with the campground amenities you will need to leave.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LouLawrence wrote:

2oldman wrote:

Since you are paying for a campground space and not all the available amenities you will not get (or be due) a refund. If you are not happy with the campground amenities you will need to leave.

X2!

Keep in mind, some campgrounds "offer" free WiFi (built into the cost per night) and some offer a third party optional "paid" WiFi at an additional daily charge on top of the normal nightly campground rate.

There is no guaranty that either service is going to work, work well or at all. WiFi service by it's nature is highly dependent on a lot of variables being optimal.

200 ft distance in some settings may work fine, in others may work somewhat and in others not at all. AP power levels, antenna gain and height, tree foliage, buildings, hills, weather can severely limit WiFi distance.

In industrial usage where 100% Wifi coverage was needed, was not unusual for IT to have industrial high power APs with high gain antennas every 100ft and even then we often found holes in coverage and that is inside a building with 30ft ceiling heights and 20ft high pallet racks..

2oldman

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T18skyguy wrote:

It cost me $15 a month to make my phone a hotspot with T Mobile.
All the hotspot plans I've found have a data cap and T's coverage isn't the greatest.

I expected the usual dismissive negative responses, but I was hoping perhaps someone was in the area and actually using it.

2oldman

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LouLawrence wrote:

Since you are paying for a campground space and not all the available amenities you will not get (or be due) a refund.
We'll see what American Express has to say about that.

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does a rant like this really do any good ?

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
405 Campgrounds,91K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1961 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

2oldman

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

Does a rant like this really do any good ?
Hard to say. Perhaps someone in the area is thinking of signing up for this service and reads this first. Perhaps someone has had a similar experience with this company.

Of course, nobody gets away with complaining about anything on this board. It just turns into an insult festival.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> AccessParks rant
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.