Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Additional fuel carrying capacity on pickup
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Additional fuel carrying capacity on pickup

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/21 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

“Stress of looking for fuel”. Now that’s down right funny, what no cell phone???

You have not driven the northern regions of British Columbia, northern Alberta, large areas of Alaska & Newfoundland where cell service does not exist have you?

NOPE and if I were to do so and were a responsible person for the best outcome of my journey I sure would map out the fuel locations before departing. OH I use my Satellite U connect to see fuel stations, just mentioned a cell phone as most have them. Kinda like planning for the next RV Park.

I love this saying.

"PIZZ poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"

In The North it is still a little wild. We have done the trip four times since 2008. Each time it is noticeably more civilised. The Alaska hwy is fully paved.

Still, fuel capacity is important. Fuel stations every 100 miles or so are common. Availability at those stations may not be so dependable. Always good to have 100 miles reserve in the the tanks at every fillup.

In the lower 48 it is rare to see a sign "Next fuel 100 miles". It is easy to get around on the stock tank giving 250 plus towing miles.

Having two tanks is handy. I use both, even where fuel is readily available. When one is down to 1/4 I switch at next stop or CG. No hard & fast rule but fill up at next time & place convenient, maybe without the trailer behind & maybe at a smaller station where fuel might be a little less. You can play the price game better when you don't really NEED to get fuel.

Oh, & BTW, you are communicating with somebody who has been carrying a spare new trailer axle in his basement for the past 5 years, somebody who carries a spare water pump at all times, somebody who has a supply of spring wet bolts onboard, somebody who at heart is still a cruising boater who believes in having spares & being prepared as best as possible.

Well said. . I have been traveling the mountain west with a fifth wheel now for nearly 20 years with two different trucks with 30 gal. tanks, actually I think the previous ford was 29. Getting 10 miles per gal I limited myself to no more then 200 miles between fill ups, which has always worked pretty well, and most times when down to 1/2 tank I will fill up . Thats about 150 miles, and i'ts time for a stop at that point , if not sooner . As said this has worked pretty well .

If I were to venture off the known routes we take pretty much year after year, I would plan accordingly . We had a trip planned in the spring of 2020 to Alaska , of course Covid changed that. Our plan was to haul an extra 12 gallons, giving me a range of nearly 400 miles. From what I know from others that have done the trip ,that should work. If ,and when we make that trip , I will take another look at it.

Only time I ever got a bit concerned is when we left El Paso ,Tx. to San Antonio , going thru the hill country . It got a bit iffy running on 30 gallons before I could fill up , pushed it further then I liked .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

RickLight wrote:

I know floor plans very but all this about pee breaks make me wonder. This is an RV forum, right? What percentage AREN'T dragging a bathroom?

Some of us are dragging a DW, who has other motives besides a bathroom (shopping). :-)

Lyle

Amen there !! [emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

RickLight wrote:

I know floor plans very but all this about pee breaks make me wonder. This is an RV forum, right? What percentage AREN'T dragging a bathroom?

Some of us are dragging a DW, who has other motives besides a bathroom (shopping). :-)

Lyle

When there are multiple fuel stop locations I give her the option and every time she chooses Love's Travel Centers. She always seems to find something new.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For an absolute greenhorn the first owner of our truck had it well prepped from new. 2006 Chevy dually, long bed so 35 gal? stock tank. He did one better. He had a split 30gal/toolbox put in the back. Two valves on the floor infront of drivers seat to select draw & return for the tanks

500 more or less flat land towing between fill ups is easy. No stress when travelling to Alaska where stations can be well spread out in N Canada.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/21 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Re-reading my 2012 Super Duty brochure, only the the long bed Super cab and crew cab diesel trucks got 37.5 gallon tanks; all other diesel combinations got 26 gallons; and, all the gas trucks got 35 gallon tanks. I believe those were the configurations from 2011 through 2017 when all the diesel tanks got larger. On a long day we would end up stopping for fuel 2 to 3 times at the one fourth point of 18 to 19 gallons. After switching up to a larger fifth wheel and getting tired of stopping that many times a day, we had a Ford dealer replace the OEM tank with a Titan 50 gallon tank. Already having a short bed we didn't want to give up the bed space. We love it! We only stop once a day (or not at all) with the big tank. The Ford dealer changed the truck programing so the fuel gauge and the miles to empty work correctly. It's a hoot to see 689 miles to empty when we're not towing and the mpg are higher.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, for transfer tanks, a few suggestions are RDS, JME and transfer flow. Many other brands as well, just pick a size/configuration that fits your needs (short to go under cover if you're pursuing that) and get some parts and a fuel filler hose check valve and bingo bango, you got plenty of fuel!

* This post was edited 12/06/21 01:44pm by an administrator/moderator *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Additional fuel carrying capacity on pickup
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.