Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Recommended must have for 5th wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Recommended must have for 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

Finally took the plunge and bought a 5th wheel. We have been camping with Class C and travel Trailers for many years so we have all most the stuff. First 5th wheel so we are excited and a bit nervous.

I was wondering what specific things we need to buy to make our 5th wheel life easier. Bought a 2021 Solitude 378.

Thank you

* This post was edited 11/15/21 09:04am by speediq99 *

Fresno Tundra Driver

Fresno,Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello. Adding Sumo Springs to my truck 5 years ago made the ride a lot less jarring and more smooth while towing our fifth wheel. Wish I didn’t wait so long to put them on. They’re easy to put on and they help a lot.

E.Lee Galik

Crespro

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

Hello,

Finally took the plunge and bought a 5th wheel. We have been camping with Class C and travel Trailers for many years so we have all most the stuff. First 5th wheel so we are excited and a bit nervous.

I was wondering what specific things we need to buy to make our 5th wheel life easier. Bought a 2021 Solitude 376.

Thank you

Ours is a Solitude 310GK-R, but you may be interested in our mods.
1. Eternabond roof. 2. Dishwasher 3. Washer-Dryer 4. Sleep Number King Bed 5. 4K Inverter and 30 Amp Transfer Switch 6. Morryde X Factor Braces 7. TST TPMS on Truck 8. Firestone Air Bags and Wireless Compressor on Truck 9. Porter-Cable Air Compressor 10. Bolts to anchor recliners 11. Haier Gas Range 12. Battery Gauges 13. Propane Guages 14. Propane Triple Splitter for Grill and Firepit

Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 02:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What tonnage truck do you have? Gas or diesel? Max weight of trailer? IMO, it's best we have this info to better inform you. I think tho, you may me asking about the 5er only, but if we have more info, we can better provide you w/ answers.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 04:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

What tonnage truck do you have? Gas or diesel? Max weight of trailer? IMO, it's best we have this info to better inform you. I think tho, you may me asking about the 5er only, but if we have more info, we can better provide you w/ answers.

This...make sure you have enough truck.

5th wheels tow great but not if you have a substandard truck.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering what specific things we need to buy to make our 5th wheel life easier. Bought a 2021 Solitude 376.

Thank you

1. Trailer Aide Chock for changing flat tires without having to use jacks. You just roll the good tire onto the chock which will raise the flat tire up enough to change the flat tire without using any jacks.

2. Large trailer flat chocks. Buy the flat chocks that are twice the length of the single yellow chalks. Makes backing up the trailer onto chalks to level the trailer %100 easier. You can actually back up the trailer by yourself just using your mirrors.

3. Buy a lock wheel chock to fit between the trailer tires to make the trailer stable and eliminate trailer movement.
4. Plastic doughnut flat ring on the kingpin to make hooking up the trailer smooth instead of metal on metal.
5. Emergency Road Road service policy. Would not recommend the AAA plan due to limited coverage service throughout the U.S.

6. CB radio in truck and a handheld CB for the person giving you directions when backing up. Or, A set good Walkie Talkies. My choice is the CB so I can also get road conditions reports from truckers as I travel. i.e. accidents, detours, and closed-off ramps. I hear more offensive language on any High School campus than from truckers.
Retired High School Principal

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

ACZL wrote:

Well if one took the time to look up that 5er it is a Grand Design Momentum 376TH, these are the specs.

UVW1 15,900 lbs
Hitch Weight 3,250 lbs
GVWR 20,000 lbs
Length 41' 3"
Height 13' 5"

I would hope the OP has at least a 350/3500 DRW.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disc Brakes

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of what you need will be the same for all RV types, two specific that I can think of are:
1. SnapPad - great addition and have been very useful
2. If your unit doesn't have it, a cord reel. We added ours after market and it's way better than lugging that heavy 50amp cord around. Self stowing and convenient.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

ACZL wrote:

Well if one took the time to look up that 5er it is a Grand Design Momentum 376TH, these are the specs.

UVW1 15,900 lbs
Hitch Weight 3,250 lbs
GVWR 20,000 lbs
Length 41' 3"
Height 13' 5"

I would hope the OP has at least a 350/3500 DRW.

My first choice.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Recommended must have for 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.