Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can't imagine a world without internal combustion engines
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

 > Can't imagine a world without internal combustion engines

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2004

View Profile


Online
Posted: 11/17/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finding an unbiased researcher truly presents the dilemma for any issue, be it electric vehicles, climate change, or vaccines. When you can't trust that the researcher who is being paid large sums of money by companies/individuals will draw a conclusion contrary to the beliefs/interests of the financiers and you can't trust the research who is being paid large sums of money by a government to draw a conclusion contrary to the beliefs/interests of the government, where do you turn?

Unfortunately, we are at a point where you can't even ask questions contrary to popular belief or you are labeled or just completely dismissed. Ironically, most ideas that do not want to stand up to questions are probably ones that cannot stand up to questions. I just try to read as much raw data on subjects as I can and make observations of people/groups making claims and draw my own conclusions.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2002

View Profile



Posted: 11/17/21 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

When you can't trust that the researcher who is being paid large sums of money by companies/individuals will draw a conclusion contrary to the beliefs/interests of the financiers and you can't trust the research who is being paid large sums of money by a government to draw a conclusion contrary to the beliefs/interests of the government, where do you turn?

This is technically incorrect. Salaries are set by the universities not established in grants between the researcher and the funding organization. The source of the money for said salaries either comes from the general fund of a university or from grants obtained by the researcher. The money goes from grant org to university. Universities take >50% off the top as "overhead", the university uses the remaining portion of the grant money to partially cover the costs of the salaries base upon the percentage of time the researcher will be spending upon that study vs other duties (example: 50% on this study, 25% on another study, 25% on teaching, university committee assignments, and other university administrative requirements), and the university uses the portion grant money designated for supplies and equipment to pay for these items as needed during the study duration. I was required to take a course on this topic (grant proposal writing) in graduate school.

While salaries are technically set by universities, those researchers who bring in more grant money (of which the universities get a large cut) are more likely to have higher salaries; but these salaries are nothing like those of the administrators and come with very long work weeks (many more than 50hr work weeks all year long).

* This post was edited 11/17/21 01:38pm by BCSnob *

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/17/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Largest automakers by market capitalization

Tesla Gigafactory Texas 15 November 2021........ck & Model Y Factory Construction Update

BYD USA

BYD USA jobs


2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT


Moderator

Tennessee

Moderator

Joined: 01/19/2004

View Profile



Posted: 11/17/21 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back to topic please: "Can't imagine a world without internal combustion engines" Thank you.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/17/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will be a long time before ICE's go away.. I mean I just dumped a 2001 last spring so that's 20 years of service and the 2014 I now drive looks like it's going to last... Possibly longer than me. (Very well built) with decent maintenance.

And there are still Model "T"s and "A"s out there.


Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times


Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/17/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some manufacturers will be building ICE vehicles (gas and diesel) for years yet. Toyota and Mazda have very little interest in EV’s. They’ll build a few compliance vehicles but neither is getting into EV’s in any serious way. Hybrids yes. BEV’s no.

Market place will determine a lot. It’s pretty clear that if your want to sell cars in Europe or China in 2035 you better be seriously into EV’s. If not, your done. But India Mexico and the US will probably still have a serious ICE market place in 2050 yet. Canada will probably have a small ICE market in a couple decades yet. Right now, the northern markets have higher adaption rates than the southern markets but this may change as technology advances. People in cold countries love commuting in their EV’s. Just a much more convenient, cosier and easier experience.

Ice isn’t going away. They do some things very well. And diesels are at this point hard to compete with on the EV side. 15 years from now I’m thinking that will change drastically. In the last 10 years range has almost quadrupled for about the same money.

GM and Ford says they are all in for EV which means they intend to stay in the europe and Chinese markets. I think Toyota may just throw in the towel on the European market as they won’t have anything to sell there within 10 years. China is now the world leader in EV’s. They’ll set the path. Everyone else will follow.

And on edit. It will probably a long time before GM is “all EV”. Right now they produce exactly zero EV’s per day, whereas Tesla is somewhere around 4000 cars per day. Once GM starts producing Bolts again they will still only be producing around 100 cars a day. I’m sure that will ramp up quick enough, but I wouldn’t worry about not being able to buy an ICE for a couple decades yet...or at least in the US.

All JMHO

* This post was edited 11/17/21 04:12pm by Reisender *

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2003

View Profile



Posted: 11/18/21 03:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

...And on edit. It will probably a long time before GM is “all EV”. Right now they produce exactly zero EV’s per day, whereas Tesla is somewhere around 4000 cars per day. Once GM starts producing Bolts again they will still only be producing around 100 cars a day. I’m sure that will ramp up quick enough, but I wouldn’t worry about not being able to buy an ICE for a couple decades yet...or at least in the US.

All JMHO


Did you see the opening of GM Plant Zero yesterday. It was on the US National News. Joe stopped by the plant. They let him drive a produced Hummer EV Pickup. It is built at that plant.

And I think you are including the T companies production from China in your stated, but unconfirmable production number. Why don't you add the General Motors Hongguang Mini that is the best-selling EV in China? Best Selling China EV

The T company only gives global production and sales. No breakout by country.

Let's try to not mislead our RV friends.

And did you buy some of that Rivian Stock. I told you back in 2018 they would have a pickup before Tusk.


Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/18/21 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That Hummmer list price is over $100,000.00 Yup more than my house, More than my motor home.. NO THANK YOU.

And in other news they still import much of that ride.

* This post was edited 11/18/21 06:41am by an administrator/moderator *

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2002

View Profile



Posted: 11/18/21 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
US-China Business Council

The crops, oil, and gas didn’t surprise me; the semiconductors and components did based upon all the press about being reliant upon China for chips giving the impression they don’t need us.

* This post was edited 11/18/21 06:02am by BCSnob *

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/18/21 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Reisender wrote:

...And on edit. It will probably a long time before GM is “all EV”. Right now they produce exactly zero EV’s per day, whereas Tesla is somewhere around 4000 cars per day. Once GM starts producing Bolts again they will still only be producing around 100 cars a day. I’m sure that will ramp up quick enough, but I wouldn’t worry about not being able to buy an ICE for a couple decades yet...or at least in the US.

All JMHO


Did you see the opening of GM Plant Zero yesterday. It was on the US National News. Joe stopped by the plant. They let him drive a produced Hummer EV Pickup. It is built at that plant.

And I think you are including the T companies production from China in your stated, but unconfirmable production number. Why don't you add the General Motors Hongguang Mini that is the best-selling EV in China? Best Selling China EV

The T company only gives global production and sales. No breakout by country.

Let's try to not mislead our RV friends.

And did you buy some of that Rivian Stock. I told you back in 2018 they would have a pickup before Tusk.


Yes I am aware of the little mini. Looks kinda cool. GM is in collaboration with two other companies to produce it. Seems to be a good inner city car. It’s not competing.in the mainstream EV class like the bolt etc. I’m sure it will continue to do well.

I watched a clip on the opening of the GM factory. Good to see. Hope they do we’ll. I suspect GM will turn a corner in 2022 and by 2023 there will be significant production. I found it a little over the top when it was mentioned that Detroit is the leader of the world in EV’s. But who knows. They seem pretty serious and they have lots of high level support. Wishing them well.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

 > Can't imagine a world without internal combustion engines
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.