Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: RV Park Wi-Fi Issues
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> RV Park Wi-Fi Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
SkylineSearcher

Storage

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I recently camped at a park and "Wi-Fi" was spotty at best. On my next visit, I'm going to ask to get a site closer to Wi-Fi router. Has anybody else had luck making this request? Thanks!

jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you'll find almost all wifi is "spotty" even if you are next to the office. Everyone is drinking from the same garden hose! somebody flushes a toilet and the water pressure goes to 0 because its a tiny hose. An analogy yes but explains how wifi works and why park wifi unless they invest big bucks,is lousy. Nobody I know that needs and uses the internet uses "campground" wifi. That's the unfortunate truth, forget camp wifi.

Bill

SkylineSearcher

Storage

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the reply — any suggestions for the best alternative?

jcpainter

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That may help a little, BUT if they have too many users for the amount of bandwidth they have, it will be slow everywhere.

To see if the park's available bandwidth is the problem, run speedtests before everyone gets up, and after most have gone to bed (if you're a night owl), and during peak usage times. Run the test 3 consecutive times and average the results at the various times.

To do the test on your phone, turn off cellular (so you're not testing your cellular speed) and go to www.Speedtest.net On your laptop, simply attach to their WiFi and run the same tests. Note that the speedtest is .net - not .com

jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skyline , how much internet do you need? just a little? Hotspot your phone, but that almost always will have serious limits even on unlimited phone plans ( unlimited is on the phone only. ). Most use unlimited or high Gig plans on a cellular Hotspot. There are hundreds of possibilities good and bad expensive and cheap. Too many to list. do a search for unlimited cellular internet hotspots. set aside a couple days [emoticon] everyone will have their own opinion.
First step figure out how much (many) gb you will go through while "camping"

SkylineSearcher

Storage

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not too much activity -- just checking email and some browsing.

Lwiddis

Near Mammoth, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"On my next visit, I'm going to ask to get a site closer to Wi-Fi router."

If the signal was weak, OK. If the problem was bandwidth, closer won't help and it is usually bandwidth.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may (or not) help
https://ebay.to/30OevAl

I used to mount mine on a flagpole (height so it sees OVER the competition (Other RVs) and it worked rather well. I had a home router in the RV. (Cat-5 connects) It worked so well people 1-2 rows CLOSER to the router. if I liked 'em I gave them the "Guest" pass key to my router (It offered a guest account)

I have a fairly decent security setup here when I need to do it

I also used an old Linksys WGA-54G (Wireless Game Adapter) and the can described in Amateurlogic.tv's episode #3 George and Tommie later went on to improve it in a later episode I thought about it . .. but never did it

One note: Some routers my nano-station did not like,

* This post was edited 11/19/21 09:11am by an administrator/moderator *

Thunder Mountain

Lost in the Four Corners

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is there are too many pigs at the trough. Unless a RV park will invest the capital to bring in fiber even if it is available, there just isn't enough bandwidth for everybody surfing the net, checking email and most of all streaming video. I've been in park right next to the wifi and had excellent signal strength with lousy download speed.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Set up your own cell based wifi.

I was an OTR Mobile customer, but ran into issues with the winegard router, and ended up going directly to AT&T for a sim card for the router. They have gotten a little pricey too. There are other similar solutions, but these are more for unlimited data needs.

If you're a light user, just use your cell phone as a hotspot.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> RV Park Wi-Fi Issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.