Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: range hood exhaust fan?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > range hood exhaust fan?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ajriding

st clair

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2004

View Profile



Posted: 11/24/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had my way with a 1971 Winnebago and took a lot of stuff out. 20 years later I finally used the vent hood with fan. It is a big fan motor, moves air and is super quiet. The first time I showed it to a fellow RVer he was shocked and amazed.
All I can say is check the junk yards for old campers and get the oldie fan.
It seems to be of similar size and shape so might retro fit into a new hood.

notsobigjoe

southeast

Senior Member

Joined: 09/15/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/24/21 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the input. I will post some things tomorrow but family has arrived. Happy thanksgiving.

notsobigjoe

southeast

Senior Member

Joined: 09/15/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/28/21 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just ordered this small unit as a couple of people on Amazon said they did something similar to a 12 volt fan. I also did some reading and see where some have cleaned an old dirty fan to make it quieter. I think I will remove the unit and clean it up. Also I'll line the exhaust chamber with some insulation tape and remount the fan assembly with some rubber grommets. I really don't see any other option. I'll take some pics of the job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FN4H37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

Senior Member

Joined: 02/27/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/28/21 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you start disassembly, watch for razor sharp edges inside the range hood.
Don't ask me how I know...


2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow


notsobigjoe

southeast

Senior Member

Joined: 09/15/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/28/21 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joerg68 wrote:

When you start disassembly, watch for razor sharp edges inside the range hood.
Don't ask me how I know...


Will do! Thanks!

JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/29/21 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems to me that the typical noisy fan is just part of the issue with using the vent.

All of the parts are plastic including the flimsy 1/8" plastic pivot pins built into each end of the flap. One of the plastic pins broke after using it just a few times. When I went to the dealer for a replacement, I was given two choices. Either the plastic pivot pin model or a model where tape was used instead of pivot pins and sockets. Unbelievable cheap ****! I ended up rebuilding the pivot model using a pieces of coat hanger for the pivot pins. I guess my rebuilt works great, but I hardly ever use the vent.

The next issue is the locking tabs. My model has two plastic tabs, on the outside of the camper, that must be put in place to hold the flap when driving. Not only is it inconvenient to go outside to lock or unlock the flap, but the tabs are too high off the ground to do so without a step stool or small ladder.

Instead of using the vent, I have just crack the nearest window and use fantastic fan to pull air through the camper. That works poorly and also puts greasy residue on the fan blades but at least I don't have to hear the noise of the vent fan after first going outside with a step stool to unlock the vent.

notsobigjoe

southeast

Senior Member

Joined: 09/15/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/29/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

It seems to me that the typical noisy fan is just part of the issue with using the vent.

All of the parts are plastic including the flimsy 1/8" plastic pivot pins built into each end of the flap. One of the plastic pins broke after using it just a few times. When I went to the dealer for a replacement, I was given two choices. Either the plastic pivot pin model or a model where tape was used instead of pivot pins and sockets. Unbelievable cheap ****! I ended up rebuilding the pivot model using a pieces of coat hanger for the pivot pins. I guess my rebuilt works great, but I hardly ever use the vent.

The next issue is the locking tabs. My model has two plastic tabs, on the outside of the camper, that must be put in place to hold the flap when driving. Not only is it inconvenient to go outside to lock or unlock the flap, but the tabs are too high off the ground to do so without a step stool or small ladder.

Instead of using the vent, I have just crack the nearest window and use fantastic fan to pull air through the camper. That works poorly and also puts greasy residue on the fan blades but at least I don't have to hear the noise of the vent fan after first going outside with a step stool to unlock the vent.


You wouldn't believe all the work I just did to this camper. As I have stated before my wife and I have looked at several TT and were considering buying one. But I just couldn't bring myself to buy something that I could afford, Between 20 and 30. There are some really well built machines out there for more money but in my budget, I wouldn't say they are junk but nothing like the build of my Lance. I put a new seal on the AC and if your ever going to do this job just take a tip from me, get everything in advance. your going to replace all the replaceable parts. I'm still waiting for the new motor.
While I had it all apart I revamped the insulation which was crumbling in my hand and lined the entire intake shroud with sound deadening hood liner. WOW beside the bearings winding up on start up it's very quiet now. I also installed the soft start which if you don't have one get one.
I talked about trying to get a new thermostat for my 2 speed furnace and said the hell with it and bought the same model but just a single speed. New/old stock. two wires to the therm. Works great.
just had to reinforce the floor because Lance didn't do a very good job on that. they just put the same thing they put into the walls on the floors and the Styrofoam was getting crushed and crumbly. Big PITA job.
We are considering replacing the booth with a couple of recliners but that is still in the talking stages because we actually do use the booth. Hate it but use it.
Sorry for the diarrhea of the mouth.

JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

notsobigjoe wrote:



....We are considering replacing the booth with a couple of recliners but that is still in the talking stages because we actually do use the booth. Hate it but use it....


I would not want to replace the dinette and certainly would not have space for a couple of big comfy recliners. I made a couple of modifications which helped with the dinette. I replaced the foam cushions with better quality and more comfortable foam. Even better I replaced the table with a homemade table top supported by a Lagun. Lagun supports are now standard in Northstar campers. I ordered mine from Europe and it arrived in a couple of days.

notsobigjoe

southeast

Senior Member

Joined: 09/15/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

notsobigjoe wrote:



....We are considering replacing the booth with a couple of recliners but that is still in the talking stages because we actually do use the booth. Hate it but use it....


I would not want to replace the dinette and certainly would not have space for a couple of big comfy recliners. I made a couple of modifications which helped with the dinette. I replaced the foam cushions with better quality and more comfortable foam. Even better I replaced the table with a homemade table top supported by a Lagun. Lagun supports are now standard in Northstar campers. I ordered mine from Europe and it arrived in a couple of days.


It's looking like it's staying. We already upgraded the cushions some time time back to 6" bottoms and 4 inch backs. They are very comphy. I also had a wedge of sorts made to sit long ways in the bench and installed some fold down foot rests. I custom built the table as well. When I am reclined I can watch the fire...

[image]

[image]

[image]

domanton

New York City

New Member

Joined: 12/01/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/01/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the parts are plastic including the flimsy 1/8" plastic pivot pins built into each end of the flap.

One of the plastic pins broke after using it just a few times. When I went to the dealer for a replacement, I was given two choices.

It seems to me that the typical noisy fan is just part of the issue with using the vent.

Either the plastic pivot pin model or a model where tape was used instead of pivot pins and sockets.

Unbelievable cheap ****! I ended up rebuilding the pivot model using a pieces of coat hanger for the pivot pins.

I guess my rebuilt works great, but I hardly ever use the vent.

The next issue is the locking tabs.

My model has two plastic tabs, on the outside of the camper, that must be put in place to hold the flap when driving.

Not only is it inconvenient to go outside to lock or unlock the flap, but the tabs are too high off the ground to do so without a step stool or small ladder.

Instead of using the vent, I have just crack the nearest window and use fantastic fan to pull air through the camper.

That works poorly and also puts greasy residue on the fan blades but at least I don't have to hear the noise of the vent fan after first going outside with a step stool to unlock the vent.


Sharp & Fellows, Inc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > range hood exhaust fan?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.