Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Michigan to Arizona route advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Michigan to Arizona route advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
DustyRooster

Home

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/21 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dalenoel wrote:

We did this in October with a 36' HR Neptune and Focus as toad and did not have a problem. We did 250 to 300 miles a day starting at 8 and ending by 4. Dog and I need rest stops. My max speed is 63 mph and use the second lane if there are three. People are not always polite so I let them go. I do like alot of room ahead. I use this GPS which is large and great for our size.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPFSGZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also try to avoid I-40 all year and use I-20 or I-10 unless going to Havasu to see family.

Learning to enjoy the travel and not try to get to the destination is the biggest learning curve. We are now in FL so not worried about snow like I-40 might have. Enjoy the trip and be safe. PM for any questions.

Thank you!

Our HR Admiral is a little gasser, so 60mph would be the max I would feel comfortable with, especially with the car in tow. I would have thought the smaller the rig the easier to handle, not the case.
We plan on heading out tomorrow and head South off I-40 on US-81 then eventually hit 62-West --> 83-South. We want to check out the Roswell area first for some possible boondocking. We are going to try and take the US Highways to see if that lets us take it a bit slower and enjoy the ride/journey a bit.
Do you have any experience with the roads I mentioned on the way to Roswell?

* This post was edited 11/25/21 05:30pm by DustyRooster *

rocmoc

SouthWest USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have traveled these areas many times with our RV and live in the Southwest. Winds are common from West Texas to the California coast. We have had to pull over and hunker down a minimum 1/3 of the times. Winds can gust over 65mph. Look for a box store or rest area and wait it out. Point your rig into the wind if possible and hope it doesn't snow. Yup it can snow East New Mexico border to West Arizona border. Best route is to get to I10 as quickly as possible. Great advice in earlier post, drive FEWER hours per day. Our rule is 6 hours or 300 miles max, whichever comes first. In general we drive 250 miles at 61 to 66 mph depending on conditions. After 3 days, we take a break for a day or two.

rocmoc n Th Southwest USA / Baja

rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

rocmoc

SouthWest USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been to Roswell in Rv twice. Roads are good, only West out of town is 4 lane. Watch weather closely as it can snow this time of year.

DustyRooster

Home

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rocmoc wrote:

Been to Roswell in Rv twice. Roads are good, only West out of town is 4 lane. Watch weather closely as it can snow this time of year.

Thanks for the feedback! In regards to the snow...I'm from Michigan, so what type of snow are we talking here? A night of snow and melt in the morning, or days of snow and accumulation?
We took a couple US-Highways South today, and what a difference in how less stressed I felt. A couple of the roads were bumpier that an Interstate, but tolerable. Was a beautiful day for travel!

rocmoc

SouthWest USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/21 04:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snow depends on elevation. Most of the time snow is short time in duration and not deep but weather in the Southwest USA is tough to predict as weather fronts can come from any direction. Just this last week a warm front came from the Southwest and hit the cold front from the North producing cold rain and winds. Hit bad snow in West Texas a few years ago and had to overnight at the Walmart in Ft Stockton. Two hour window opened in early morning and we were able to make it far enough West to get out of the snow. Sunny most of the time is the norm.

rocmoc n Southwest USA / Baja

DustyRooster

Home

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/21 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Mike W

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/21 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you've been pointed to enough weather related apps and you'll be paying close attention. but to address "what kind of snow are we talking about"...I was headed east around Deming NM in October. Started to snow. I thought "it's the southwest, how bad could it get?" In short order you couldn't see well, I had to get right in behind a semi and follow his tracks. Soon after it was hitting my front bumper while i was in his tracks. I could feel slip ice building. Clearly I needed to get off the road. But there are not a ton of safe places to get off on some of those stretches. So stay up on the weather and know your options. Be safe, relax.

1987 Executive Diplomat 35
Sad Days
Sold my baby
">

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Michigan to Arizona route advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.