Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Multimeter recommendation?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Multimeter recommendation?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

For a meter, decent middle of the road clamp meter, Uni-T UT210E.

Thanks! Just ordered one.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the UT204A, it is an excellent meter. The UT210E is comparable to the UT204A.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 11:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here it is on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-CL390-Electronic-Resistance/dp/B08DTDCG7T/ref=asc_df_B08DTDCG7T?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79920843356084&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520392045748&psc=1
That's dirt cheap for everything it does but I bet it's a throwaway meter if it ever goes out of cal. I have an old UEI throwaway but it's nice to have the DC clamp sometimes. Craig

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/21 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I RV camped full time for a couple of years and have spent hundreds of nights out since then. Never once have I needed a multimeter. Even at the house, a 60 year old, low cost multimeter is all I have ever needed. At one time I had several canvas bags with tools and supplies. I have cut that way back to just a handful of basic tools. I could do 90% of the work I have needed over the years with just a multitool.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/21 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

$50 is cheap? We definitely have different definitions. [emoticon]

that same one is probably 150 up here. I thiught it was a good deal, and ya I do concider 50 cheep for a quality tool.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JMO...there are several definitions of cost, cheap throw away, lower priced, middle priced, and expensive. I usually try to buy the best product (expensive), with the features I need, for the lowest price.

Jerry

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess everyone looks at things differently. I use a multimeter all the time working on a 25 year old MH. Maybe I am not as careful as some but one I ruined while checking the fuel pump on my genset with gas. Another got left out in the rain. If these were $150 Flukes I would be very upset but they were free from HF. They do everything I need them to do and they have an adjustment inside that you can adjust the voltage with a pot to match a voltage setting with a good meter. The original one I got from HF is 17 years old and I added better leads from Radio Shack and still works fine.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

JMO...there are several definitions of cost, cheap throw away, lower priced, middle priced, and expensive. I usually try to buy the best product (expensive), with the features I need, for the lowest price.

Jerry

YEP and I bet most of your tools are still in service from years past.

I have a Fluke that is US Made. I have no idea how to use many of it's functions but hey they are there if needed. Same model the Commercial Electricians used on my jobs years ago.

[image]
[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/21 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

MFL wrote:

Jerry

I have a Fluke that is US Made. I have no idea how to use many of it's functions but hey they are there if needed. Same model the Commercial Electricians used on my jobs years ago.

[image]
[image]

I have used Flukes at work, they are no better than any other meter (even cheap HF) if you have not or never had them calibrated to a known standard. At work, all devices like meters, torque wrenches and such were required by the QA department to be tested and calibrated every yr.

Not all meters can be calibrated or will be able to hold a calibration to specs, that is where Fluke comes in and are able to be calibrated and do a good job holding that calibration.

But for HOME or even general electrician or mechanic use, a Fluke is not needed at all. You are not manufacturing to tight tolerances and general electrical work does not need pin point accuracy. Now if you were trying to troubleshoot an amplifier circuit where .1V can mean difference of working or not, than perhaps a Fluke or a bit better quality than HF would be a better choice.

For RV and auto use calibration to a known standard is not needed and pretty much any cheap meter that can give a consistent reading will suffice.

I have a nice 35yr old RadioShack auto range DVM which works fine and a bunch of cheapo give away HF DVMs laying around.. Those cheap HF DVMs are plenty accurate for 12V and 120V/240V work and I have not noticed any of those being inaccurate with each other (they all agree with each other).

$5-$6 HF meters are fine for the use the OP will be using it for.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/21 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

MFL wrote:

Jerry

[image]
[image]

I have used Flukes at work, they are no better than any other meter (even cheap HF) if you have not or never had them calibrated to a known standard. At work, all devices like meters, torque wrenches and such were required by the QA department to be tested and calibrated every yr.

Not all meters can be calibrated or will be able to hold a calibration to specs, that is where Fluke comes in and are able to be calibrated and do a good job holding that calibration.

But for HOME or even general electrician or mechanic use, a Fluke is not needed at all. You are not manufacturing to tight tolerances and general electrical work does not need pin point accuracy. Now if you were trying to troubleshoot an amplifier circuit where .1V can mean difference of working or not, than perhaps a Fluke or a bit better quality than HF would be a better choice.

For RV and auto use calibration to a known standard is not needed and pretty much any cheap meter that can give a consistent reading will suffice.

I have a nice 35yr old RadioShack auto range DVM which works fine and a bunch of cheapo give away HF DVMs laying around.. Those cheap HF DVMs are plenty accurate for 12V and 120V/240V work and I have not noticed any of those being inaccurate with each other (they all agree with each other).

$5-$6 HF meters are fine for the use the OP will be using it for.

One big advantage of the fluke 73 or similar or the Tek TX series of DMM's is that they extremely robust. I've dropped the TX3 from 25ft onto concrete, several times, no damage. Flukes I have are similar.

And they are really hard to damage with an incorrect hookup. Hook the MA range up across a 12V trailer battery and all that the 300+A short circuit current will do is a popped fuse, unlike some others that even a fuse won't protect.

And the leads are designed for some UL spec's that makes it highly unlikely to ever expose you to line voltage.
Both are tested and calibrated in production with NIST traceable equipment, so out of the box you know they are well calibrated, but as mentioned for precision work they need periodic test. But I'd say the likely hold cal better than el chepo's.

I could go on more, as I was involved in the design of some of these meters, they are industrial grade, targeted at industrial users. Kinda like snap on vs. harbor freight. Each serves a specific market well.

I will say they are more accurate than what the vast majority of users for RV or home applications will ever need. Products from Klein tools and similar are more than accurate enough, robust enough and much lower cost.

so, for an occasional user that only needs a few functions for qualitative measurements, the Fluke and old Tek TX meters are probably overkill, depends on what is important to you.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Multimeter recommendation?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.