Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Multimeter recommendation?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Multimeter recommendation?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some good points made on this thread - but some that need definite clarification and correction.

Fluke is no longer made in America. I think they switched to assembled in America a few years back now I believe it is designed in America. Not saying they are not the gold standard, which they are. They are the most reliable and safest, but you pay for that - but is an extra $50-$100 really that much more?

Next, your value brands like Craftsman and Radio Shack, aren't really comparable to HF. They were made (designed by) Extech, which is considered a mid level brand. So, much higher than the Amazon or HF cheap knock off made in some factory for as cheap as they can.

Now, why does this matter - they points that are the most important on this thread. They only thing between you and what you are measuring is the meter and the leads you are using. If you use something made by a company that is just trying to make the cheapest thing out there, are you really safe? Now, if you are only reading DC batteries, and the DC in your trailer, then I guess safety is not a thing. Take 2 wires connected to a light bulb and you are just as safe. But, you are you measuring 120V - 240V household, or a 30-50 amp pedestal, do you want to rely on the cheapest thing made, or do you want to spend an extra $50-$100 to make sure you don't get shocked or worse. Your probably only buying 1 so just spend a little more for an average or better meter.

Next, accuracy and reliability. I know when I measure my batteries, I want to know what they read. Is my battery 12.7v or 12.1v. Do I measure, come back 2 minutes later and its changed by 1 volt? I'm sure there are other examples where accuracy matters. But, if you don't care about a good reading, why even buy a meter? There was an entire thread on tire pressure gauges. This is different, because a gauge is usually off but consistent. A meter that is off can be high today and low tomorrow. It can be off by tenths or by an entire point. It will be inconsistent for every reading. What do you consider is acceptable and do you trust the manufacturer that designed it and had it made in that factory in China. Is it made in China or Taiwan?

I'm not advocating for Fluke or any specific brand, just saying be careful. I think the OP purchased Klein, which is a great middle of the road brand. As I said before, if they make electrical test tools, this is much better than a company that is trying to sell the cheapest thing they can have made.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good points above. Most RVs should not be probing a 120V or 240V due to the potential danger. Especially a pedestal while holding the metal cover open with one hand or standing in a damp area due to a nearby faucet or drain.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Good points above. Most RVs should not be probing a 120V or 240V due to the potential danger. Especially a pedestal while holding the metal cover open with one hand or standing in a damp area due to a nearby faucet or drain.

well, since there are lots of 120V circuits in an RV, and based on issues that have come up from posts, 120V power issues are common enough to need troubleshooting at times, brush up on best practices for safety when working on line circuits.

And make sure that ANY test device you use on such circuits carries at least a CATII 300V rating, CATIII 600V is better.

That will provide some safety in case of a mistake.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/21 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use flukes at work that require annual calibration as well. They are returned from cal lab with an official cal report documenting measurements recorded prior to any adjustments. In the 33 years I have reviewed the fluke cal data they have never been out of cal on voltage. Some of these meters are 15 years old or older. Amperage is a different story. Amps are sometimes a little off in the lower ranges and require adjusting.

About 6 years ago we bought 4 EXTECHs for some reason. I guess part of a cost savings plan. All 4 have came back from cal lab spot on on all measurements on all functions for the past 5 years.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

well, since there are lots of 120V circuits in an RV, and based on issues that have come up from posts, 120V power issues are common enough to need troubleshooting at times, brush up on best practices for safety when working on line circuits.

And make sure that ANY test device you use on such circuits carries at least a CATII 300V rating, CATIII 600V is better.

That will provide some safety in case of a mistake.
Plugging the RV into a 20A GFCI circuit can provide some additional protection when looking for a problem. I've never seen a 30A or 50A GFCI plug in a CG but they probably exist.

Also, I've recommended numerous times to plug into a 20A GFCI plug and turn various appliances on/off to check for a ground fault condition. Do this at least once if not on some periodic basis.

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well how about that? I kept thinking I had a Fluke. I kept digging around in all the toolboxes in my garage.

Finally found it. It's a Fluke model 77, series 2.

I got it used, due to a screwy situation, back in 1991-ish. So this old girl is 30 years old or a few more years older.

Off to get an Eveready Energizer 9 volt Lithium battery and will fire this old girl up and see what happens.

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/21 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's my Fluke 77 that I have had for decades. An incandescent lamp tipped onto it and after about 30 minutes this was the result:
[image]

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom_M,

That is a very sad picture.

I have two 77s one is not a series anything because they hadn't even started that when I got it. It is old and has had to have the switch patched, but I still love it.

The 77 series 2 is the one I carry in the coach.

I also have a 20yo 87 and a Bell probe that live in a case and only goes out on paying jobs.

Oh yeah, and a collection of throw-away meters so I have something I don't worry about getting damaged.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/21 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 77 Fluke dates to the 80's. Made in the USA.

WinMinnie02

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP do you know what you are looking for to determine why your refrigerator is not working on electric? Are you trying to determine if it is the fuses? Could it be the Thermistor? Klein tools 600v for $55 is fine from Home Depot, used it last few years home, auto, and RV.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Multimeter recommendation?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.