Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Multimeter recommendation?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Multimeter recommendation?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
doctorscience

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kansas couple wrote:

I'm looking to buy a multimeter, as my rig's refrigerator doesn't work on electric but still works on gas. There is power to its outlet (of course, that would be too easy of a fix..) and I know my next steps will involve going to the circuit board. I'm looking at the Klein Tools multimeters they sell at Home Depot. Noticed the CL 390 can measure DC amperage. Would this be something to have, or is measuring DC current not that important? If not, then I'd go with one of the less-expensive models. I'm open to thoughts and input. Thanks!

I bought the Klein CL390 a few months ago to deal with many electrical issues in the class C I recently purchased. I also needed to fully check the draw of every item in the rig so I could manage long term winter RV use in Canada with only two 6 volt batteries. The CL390 is excellent. I've used it to find parasitic loads, sort out converter issues, issues with my inverter/charger, and so much more. Two thumbs up!

Kansas couple

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/21 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all! Thanks for the many responses and useful tips (such as creating a light bulb tester). I think I will just go with an inexpensive HF unit, knowing I can always buy a higher quality meter should the need arise.

WinMinnie--not exactly sure where I will start with the circuit board, I will go back to the YouTube video for guidance.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/21 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And the cycle repeats it's self. Buy **** and when it doesn't work buy another. The way I see it instead of buying two or more ***** buy one good one and be done with it. But hey we need to keep China booming.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Multimeter recommendation?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.