Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Generators: Cummins 4500 vs Westinghouse vs. ?????
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Generators: Cummins 4500 vs Westinghouse vs. ?????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a dual AC 5ver that you plan on camping in hot weather with no hookups, so either state park type camping or boondocking.
1. Don’t be the toolbag who is running 2 genies all day so you can sit in your camper in the sweltering heat.
2. Regardless of what you think your budget is, remember “cheap, fast or good, pick 2”
I’m sure the cheaper brands will work ok or not. But I’m also sure the good brands WILL work better.
3. You’re complicating your situation. Your wants or needs are why campers are offered with built in generators. Concentrate less on the brand and first on the logistics of what you’re planning to do.

My experience comes from not just personal generator(s) for home or camping power, but 25 years of 100s or maybe 1000s of generators used in construction. Every off brand generator that somehow gets purchased doesn’t make it very long. There’s a reason they cost half as much as a Honda and Yamaha.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

krsmitty

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/22 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt,

What did you end up getting?

Ken Smith
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 Big horn 4x4 6.7 CTD
2020 Grand Design Reflection 287RLTS

new2me450rv

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/22 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe too late, but I just joined the forum today - been RVing for 30 years though. Generators a pet peeve of mine. The only people I know of (including me) who cannot do more than the simplest, most basic maintenance themselves and are happy with the reliability of any generator(s) they use are people who rely on Honda generators (Yamaha possibly being an acceptable alternative). Worth every penny of the extra money - including the custom carrier I had built for my two Honda 2200s and an extended run tank. Only one generator needed to power the 11000 btu AC I had added in the rear of our Class C.
> every 100 hours = Oil changes, air filters if needed, and clean spark arresters
> fuel stabilizer always used
> run under load at least once a month for at least 1 hour
> replaced original dipsticks with magnetic dipsticks
Over 1000 hours of use in the last 6 years with NO problems

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/22 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

new2me450rv wrote:

Maybe too late, but I just joined the forum today - been RVing for 30 years though. Generators a pet peeve of mine. The only people I know of (including me) who cannot do more than the simplest, most basic maintenance themselves and are happy with the reliability of any generator(s) they use are people who rely on Honda generators (Yamaha possibly being an acceptable alternative). Worth every penny of the extra money - including the custom carrier I had built for my two Honda 2200s and an extended run tank. Only one generator needed to power the 11000 btu AC I had added in the rear of our Class C.
> every 100 hours = Oil changes, air filters if needed, and clean spark arresters
> fuel stabilizer always used
> run under load at least once a month for at least 1 hour
> replaced original dipsticks with magnetic dipsticks
Over 1000 hours of use in the last 6 years with NO problems

Where's the like button? I like this guy....and his post!
And FWIW, Yamaha's are every bit as good of quality as Honda, in my opinion. They just for some reason aren't very prevalent. I've bought maybe 4 or 5 Yamaha suitcase generators over the years and about 20x more Hondas.
And the discussion usually goes like this.
"I need a Honda 2000"
"Sir, we are out of them, but have a Yamaha for $100 less."
"Ok, cool, blue is good."

bowler1

Rising Sun, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/22 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am the original poster. So I still have not bought a generator. To be honest I don't really NEED one. I want one to use as a backup source of power in the event the electric goes out (my RV is next to my house to I could hook it up and go stay in the RV when the power is out).

I could just get a cheap / loud industrial generator for this application, but I figure that if I am going to spend the money I might as well invest it in something I could use while dry camping in a campground .....i.e. a quiet generator.

In my case, I would not be putting lots of hours on the generator. I would use it as needed on a rare occasion. So in that case I may not need the highest quality generator.

But on the other hand, I want it TO WORK if I ever do have to use it.

Seems like only the Honda or Yamaha are truly reliable from my research. They are expensive though....especially if you need enough juice to run two AC units on a 5th wheel.

I still have to think about this. I really don't want to spend the money for a generator and then have it not work when I really need it. Just don't know that i am willing or able to spend the money for a high voltage Honda.

FWIW I have owned two Honda 2k generators in the past that I ran in parallel, and a 2400 watt Yamah, and a 1k Yamaha.

Also, FWIW the Yamaha did fail on me when I really needed it. It started but would not produce electricity and it took a long time to get it fixed. That really sucked b/c I was dry camping and it was super hot and I had no AC. Had to go stay in a hotel it was so bad.

Matt

new2me450rv

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/22 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah yes - if only money was an easier issue to overcome. Spending it solely as a ‘just in case’ hedge against extended loss of power at home that allows you to go outside and live with amenities in the RV until it comes back on is one of the tougher calls. But if I were to decide do it, I’d consider the same money far better spent on a smaller Honda with a very high chance of being able to run just one of the two AC units at a time whenever I needed it than any other larger unit and pretty good odds I’ll find myself totally sweltering in total frustration should the occasion arise.
Best of luck.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bowler1 wrote:

I am the original poster. So I still have not bought a generator. To be honest I don't really NEED one. I want one to use as a backup source of power in the event the electric goes out (my RV is next to my house to I could hook it up and go stay in the RV when the power is out).

I could just get a cheap / loud industrial generator for this application, but I figure that if I am going to spend the money I might as well invest it in something I could use while dry camping in a campground .....i.e. a quiet generator.

In my case, I would not be putting lots of hours on the generator. I would use it as needed on a rare occasion. So in that case I may not need the highest quality generator.

But on the other hand, I want it TO WORK if I ever do have to use it.

Seems like only the Honda or Yamaha are truly reliable from my research. They are expensive though....especially if you need enough juice to run two AC units on a 5th wheel.

I still have to think about this. I really don't want to spend the money for a generator and then have it not work when I really need it. Just don't know that i am willing or able to spend the money for a high voltage Honda.

FWIW I have owned two Honda 2k generators in the past that I ran in parallel, and a 2400 watt Yamah, and a 1k Yamaha.

Also, FWIW the Yamaha did fail on me when I really needed it. It started but would not produce electricity and it took a long time to get it fixed. That really sucked b/c I was dry camping and it was super hot and I had no AC. Had to go stay in a hotel it was so bad.

Matt

Guess I’d hedge a bet based on how often your power goes out, presuming you haven’t just moved to that house and don’t really know.
In our case, last place we moved into was pretty much a guaranteed power outage waiting to happen. Still is. Power goes out anywhere from a few to about 10x a year.
Cost/budget being an issue, I searched Craigslist for a bit and ended up with a basically new John Deere 7kw generator for $400 if I recall. Couple years later got a TC and bought a used Honda 2k for $500.
I’ve got less than half the cost of one 3kw Honda into 2 generators. And now have a 4kw in the toyhauler. So the Honda just sits. Thinking about putting it on Craigslist during the next wind storm!

The main thing that makes generators unreliable is old/bad fuel. And once you understand that, it’s too easy to prevent those issues.
1. Run the carb out of gas if not going to be used for a while.
2. If you don’t drain the tank, at a minimum have fresh, treated fuel in the tank before storing. Personal preference is AV gas. 2 year shelf life.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gotta agree about the reliability. I'm no mechanic but all my small engine appliances, which includes Yamaha and Champion generators, have run reliably for the last 30 years. All I do is change the oil, once in a while the spark plug, and strictly and only use non-ethanol fuel with Stabil in it. Sometimes I don't touch one of those devices for years and they still start and run fine.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Generators: Cummins 4500 vs Westinghouse vs. ?????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.