Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Gas Engine - Fill It Up
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas Engine - Fill It Up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trades diesel truck for a more “user friendly” gas tow vehicle….having trouble figuring out how to put gas in it with a trailer attached…. Priceless!
On a more serious note, no one knows how long your rig is and where it fits presuming you’re not new to towing.
I’m 50-55’ long with my bumper pull trailers and don’t give it a second thought. Sometimes have to pass up a station that is too tight to get into but….
5ver will fit in a tighter spot than a comparable bumper pull.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Crespro

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riltri wrote:

This question is a bit tongue 'n cheek. I've traded my diesel for a gasser. It's been so easy to pull thru truck stops to get fuel. Now what?? Any tips on finding gas in locations that are easy to pull thru while towing a 5th?

We refuel before each trip. If I need to refuel while hitched, I have a list of truck stops for the major highways in our state. You should be able to find truck stops on any Interstate freeway with a Google search before the trip.

Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome back to the r

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of gasser guys in denial. You certainly have to be more selective when fueling a gasser while hitched.
Once upon a time, I had a V-10 Excursion and a 39' TT getting gas was much more challenging then getting diesel.
I eventually traded the V-10 in for a 7.3 PSD Excursion.
Getting fuel was less of a challenge with the diesel.
The diesel had a much greater range than the V-10 so I simply did not need fuel as often. Large open area diesel pumps are way more plentiful than gas pumps.
It's not impossible to find acessible gas stations, but you do have to research and scout the area a whole lot more vs.finding diesel.
Maybe you gasser guys are in denial but fiding gas stations is all you know.
You have not experienced the ease of finding a diesel station. No research or scouting required

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will say this and that with todays direct injected gas engines, I would only use Top Tier certified brands which excludes most truck stops gasoline.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

My V-10 Excursion and 35ft TT was never an issue getting gas. And I’ve gotten into and out of places most people would hesitate with a minivan.

Ahh, your that guy[emoticon]

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

My V-10 Excursion and 35ft TT was never an issue getting gas. And I’ve gotten into and out of places most people would hesitate with a minivan.

Ahh, your that guy[emoticon]

Dan

LOL, sorry but when the station advertises gas at the next exit, then they need to be ready for me and 55ft of Excursion and TT.
Now with the MH and toad it’s a bit harder, seeing as how I can’t back up! So I have to scan the station before I pull in. I’ve only found one station in all my travels that is big rig gas friendly and that’s in southern IL.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

zenasboy

Southern Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a 2019 f350 6.2L to pull a Reflection 303RLS 5th wheel and going to gas station always gives me anxiety. To minimize I pre-plan all of the gas stops by looking at google maps satellite views. I look at pump orientation and make sure i have room to get out. This has drastically cut down on the anxiety and has worked out well almost every time. I knew filling up would be more difficult when we switched to this truck from our 2002 F350 7.3L but it was a trade-off I was willing to make.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you had a FW with the diesel and still have the same FW with the gasser? Fill it up the same way, same lanes, different pump. We don't go through the truck diesel lanes, we use the same lanes with gas pumps. Never have had a problem, we're just selective on the stations and if we fit under their covers/awnings.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I towed my trailer with my Express to Iowa in August, was careful in choosing stations. I did discover that the cheapest stations along I-80 were more difficult to access. We took 2 days to drive out, and unhitched at night. I filled while unhitched, so I only needed to fuel 2 times with the trailer. There is a truck stop on I-80 that looked large enough, but they have parking at both ends of the pumps. I will never stop there with a trailer again, even though they were $.15 cheaper a gallon.

On my return, I stayed off the interstates, and fueled in multiple towns were I saw that I could get in and out. Price was not the concern.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas Engine - Fill It Up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.