Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do's and don'ts of towing a loaded 12" tandem behind 5vr??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Do's and don'ts of towing a loaded 12" tandem behind 5vr??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

In construction I always referred to feet and inches as it can be confusing. Example if someone says cut to 54" and you are used to 5' 4" that is a bit of a problem.

Bottom line proper communication is where it's at. I am sure Larry will concur!

Proper communication is everything needed for less mistakes and a reason to not have music playing when working.
chevman

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

In construction I always referred to feet and inches as it can be confusing. Example if someone says cut to 54" and you are used to 5' 4" that is a bit of a problem.

Lot depends on where in the construction prosses you are, and what tools you have to hand. Many tapes the center of studs is marked better than the feet, and the inches to add to feet is even harder to see.
And doing the grade work, better look close at the plans, often they use feet and tenths.
One job, the state approved plan for driveway & drainage was in ft/tenths, and the plan for layout of slab under garage was in ft/in.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lot depends on where in the construction prosses you are, and what tools you have to hand. Many tapes the center of studs is marked better than the feet, and the inches to add to feet is even harder to see.
And doing the grade work, better look close at the plans, often they use feet and tenths.
One job, the state approved plan for driveway & drainage was in ft/tenths, and the plan for layout of slab under garage was in ft/in.

Every bit of site work I did was in tenths of a foot. Wall framing on 16" centers yes I would use the marks but mark 3/4" off along with an "X" to show what side the stud would go Actually I would use an "/" at that takes less time!

Ordering glass and windows for example ALWAYS use feet and inches!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Actually, it is supposed to written 5'-4".

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Actually, it is supposed to written 5'-4".

Ken

I don't know if it's written in stone anywhere but that is the method of communication used within the Commercial Sub Contractors I worked with.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say do practice backing a bit before you get in a situation where you have to back up and don't be afraid to back up .... it's not really that difficult.

2022 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/21 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duke-44 wrote:

I'm heading south w/my side by side on trailer behind 30' 5th wheel, I have never done this before. I have to say I am a little nervous. I know there is only straight ahead. Any words of experience from the Knowing?

Thanks

If you have a factory receiver installed, it's likely to be 300 / 3000 lb rated; 300 hitch / 2990 trailer GVW. Most states require trailer brakes on a trailer rated at 3000 GVW and above. Staying under that means no trailer brakes...unless you add them or have a trailer > 3k GVW. At that point, you'd need to add some wiring, a 7-way plug and, maybe, a 2nd brake controller. I've never seen a doubles setup, so I don't know for sure. The reason I say this is that there are LEOs that will ding you for towing an =empty= trailer that's > 3k GVW and you don't have a brake controller installed. I know 2 people this has happened to when towing a car trailer, empty, with a small truck; just moving the trailer from one place to another. Same d-bag cop, both times.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The quickest and easiest setup for a small trailer like that would be to install a Surge Brake setup.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/21 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take the rig for a test drive in an empty lot to see how sharp you can turn without one of the trailers hitting the truck or each other
Truck / 30' / 12', I suspect you may have a limit of turning radius ( unrelated to fuel range or bladder capacity)

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/21 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, at some legal point, surge brakes would be easiest option. My 2nd trailer has 2K GWR so no brakes on mine. I have had 2nd trailer about 1,200 on the axle, but never noticed any push, using great truck & FW brakes. Steeper downhills, 7% with sharp curves, no problem, using engine braking, other brakes as needed.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Do's and don'ts of towing a loaded 12" tandem behind 5vr??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.