Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: It's time to winterize...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> It's time to winterize...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been watching the forecast and it looks like winter is going to make an appearance on Thursday/Friday. We live in Payson Arizona {about 100 miles north of Phoenix} at 5,000' and so far we have only had one night with a low of 32.

The low for Friday is supposed to be between 22 - 25 with half an inch of snow predicted. My 24' C sits in our driveway and has 30 amps 24/7. Later this morning when it warms up a bit I will open all of the fresh water drains {along with draining the water heater which will get a cup or two of the anti freeze} and then will blow out the water lines with my compressor. I'll add a cup or two to each of the traps {2 sinks and the shower} and put a couple of quarts of pink RV anti freeze in the black and gray tanks.

For nights that are predicted to drop below 30 I will turn on the tank heaters and run my 1300/1500 watt AC space heater on low to hold the interior temps in the 50's. The lower cabinet doors will be propped open for better air flow.

For now our next trip will be to Quartzsite on the backside of January but all that will need to be done is to close the valves, add water and we will be good to go. Naturally we always travel in winter with with a couple of gallons of anti freeze as temps even in the desert can get down into the low 20's - upper teens.

I keep the 55 gallon fuel tank as well as the LP tank full and my AGM house batteries, 2 group 27's, stay fully charged. Only thing left to do after all that is to restock the bar... [emoticon]

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/21 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does pink RVAF qualify as "liquids in the holding tanks"?
I ask because my tank heaters have a caveat "do not use on empty tanks".
Unless you keep an amount of liquid in the holding tanks when they're sitting in your driveway?

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/21 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The unattended space heater doesn't sit well with me, though I'm sure you have it plugged into a GFI.

If I was on shore power and outside, I would prefer to set the furnace at 50 and expend some propane instead.

Everything else sounds great- I don't have a compressor so we just fill the lives with pink stuff, but then again, Da Moose won't be let loose until spring break (we've been winterized about 6 weeks already - 14 degrees here this morning brr!)

PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the creation. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/21 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, there are always at least a couple of gallons of water {added after a thorough flushing in both the gray and black tanks} so adding a couple of quarts of antifreeze is about right. The black and gray tanks are only 20 gallons each and the tank heaters are not huge. I just use them to take the edge off of the low temps.

The space heater is plugged into a GFI and has a kill switch if it is bumped much less knocked over. I had an electrician install the dedicated 30 amps with its own box just below the house breaker panel. Normal snowfall up here is about 23" a year spread over half a dozen 2 and 3 day events, no big deal but... last January we had 2.5' of heavy wet snow with temps in the mid to low teens which while unusual snow {like "stuff} happens".

Here are a couple of shots taken last January:

[image]

[image]

[emoticon]

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's what living at altitude will do for you. [emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/21 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

My 24' C sits in our driveway and has 30 amps 24/7. Later this morning when it warms up a bit I will open all of the fresh water drains {along with draining the water heater which will get a cup or two of the anti freeze} and then will blow out the water lines with my compressor. I'll add a cup or two to each of the traps {2 sinks and the shower} and put a couple of quarts of pink RV anti freeze in the black and gray tanks.

For nights that are predicted to drop below 30 I will turn on the tank heaters and run my 1300/1500 watt AC space heater on low to hold the interior temps in the 50's. The lower cabinet doors will be propped open for better air flow.

I keep the 55 gallon fuel tank ..... full Only thing left to do after all that is to restock the bar... [emoticon]

Yo DC, what's up? Jelly of the snow pic from last year!
So, idk how much experience you have with cold weather and winterizing, as I know you moved up from Tucson, so take this as constructive criticism or advice that will make things easier and learn things you don't need to worry aboot.

Adding AF to water heater? Don't bother. Drain it, put the plug/anode back in and call it a day. If you're worried about the little bit of water in the bottom, don't be. If water has room to expand, it will not break anything. And if it is still bothersome to you, jamb that air chuck in there and blow the tank out. Stand to the side...for obvious reasons.

Same with the tanks. Drain them, pour some AF in the P traps and walk away. Won't hurt to add AF to the tanks, but FW tank is the same, right, could have some water, but not adding it to that tank, per your post. And don't need to.

After doing whatever you consider to be a complete winterization, why are you running a space heater (I doesn't "bother" me in theory like it apparently does to some people, lol)? Just to keep the empty pipes warm? Aint like you're worried about moisture/humidity where you're at.

Lastly, full tank of fuel = old wives tale, seriously. Unless you're prepping for a bug out vehicle or something, run 'er down low on fuel rather than letting a significant qty of gasoline degrade just to have to burn it up later as poor quality fuel. But, if you're leaving in Jan, the fuel won't be old anyways unless it's already old.
In short, condensation risk is minimal to zero, and ethanol blend fuels will eat up any small amount of water "if" there is a little condensation, as quick as you please.

I agree wholly with re-stocking the bar!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/21 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PartyOf Five wrote:

The unattended space heater doesn't sit well with me, though I'm sure you have it plugged into a GFI.

Desert Captain wrote:

The space heater is plugged into a GFI...

These statements puzzle me a bit. Would someone mind explaining what the advantage would be of a space heater in an uninhabited RV being plugged into a GFCI?

Just curious.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (25-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/21 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick, i was told that resistance can change in the wiring of an appliance as it ages. The current could take an alternate path to ground through a person when the person touches the appliance.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/21 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PartyOf Five wrote:

If I was on shore power and outside, I would prefer to set the furnace at 50 and expend some propane instead.

Everything else sounds great- I don't have a compressor so we just fill the lives with pink stuff, but then again, Da Moose won't be let loose until spring break (we've been winterized about 6 weeks already - 14 degrees here this morning brr!)

Is not the unattended space heater you have to worry about.
If you are afraid to use it when the RV is unoccupied.
I really would not want to use when the RV is occupied.
There are no lives involved in an unoccupied RV. If you feel the need to watch the heater. The heater is unsafe and should not be used in any scenario.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/21 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

Yes, there are always at least a couple of gallons of water {added after a thorough flushing in both the gray and black tanks} so adding a couple of quarts of antifreeze is about right. The black and gray tanks are only 20 gallons each and the tank heaters are not huge. I just use them to take the edge off of the low temps.

The space heater is plugged into a GFI and has a kill switch if it is bumped much less knocked over. I had an electrician install the dedicated 30 amps with its own box just below the house breaker panel. Normal snowfall up here is about 23" a year spread over half a dozen 2 and 3 day events, no big deal but... last January we had 2.5' of heavy wet snow with temps in the mid to low teens which while unusual snow {like "stuff} happens".

Here are a couple of shots taken last January:

[image]

[image]

[emoticon]

I pretty much do everything you do, including the space heaters. No water heater tank, so not that, but agree with grit dog, don't bother putting RVAF in it. I don't turn on the tank heaters, but I do empty as much as possible while the weather is still good, and the fresh tank, too. RVAF in the traps, and if some winds up in the holding tanks, so be it, no harm, no foul. No RVAF in the fresh tank, personal preference.
Easier to keep the roof warmer than freezing, to clear the snow on top of my solar panels, than to get up there with a brush. It snows where I live, and often it snows a lot.
Also, if you've got a water filter, mine's under the sink, remove, and drain it. Don't forget to replace it, before you recharge the water system.
You got this....[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> It's time to winterize...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.