Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: winter camping advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> winter camping advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
dedmiston

Coast to Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/21 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How long do you expect your build to take? Is there any chance you could find temporary foster housing for the cats so you could live in a rental until your construction is finished?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/21 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could you do a quick build of an enclosed storage building/barn that you could park the camper in? Then you would have it for a covered storage for it later.

Put some hookups in it and ventilate.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/21 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used our current camper down to 2 degrees f, and we were nice and warm inside. We were in a boondocking spot for a couple of weeks, and could run a generator whenever we wanted. The only problem we had was we lost fresh water to the kitchen of our 5er for an hour or two with 35 mph plus winds.

When I said we were nice and warm, you have to understand that our 5er is built and insulated better than most. I would not have tried that with a camper built in Indiana. I wanted to test ours, and my wife was game, knowing it might get miserable at some point, and it really didn't. The difference is, we had a house 45 minutes away that we could go to, you will not have that option. That changes everything.

Whenever I have been to your area, you don't seem to get as cold as we do, but cold snaps can happen and change everything.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/21 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to go thru at worst, at least a 10 gal tank if temps were 0-20F at a local ski area with a Fleetwood Prowler back in the 90s to early 2000 time frame. one Issue I had, knew problem, did not fix until 9 yrs in, there was a drain Tee that would freeze up and keep water from getting into the bathroom, and from the hot water tank to the kitchen. fter removal, no issues with lack of water any where. My tank was under a couch in the main living area, so no freezing issues.
Being as you have power, having plenty of battery is not an issue. You might want more than a single size 24 that was seems std for power outages. Along with access to a 2500-300wt generator.
We also had the vent covers on the roof. This worked well in snow. except if it was blowing 30-50 mph, then snow came in. Once you had 2-3' on the top, no issues with snow getting in.
no do not use a slide in the out position if you get snow! or at least have many supports under it so it will not sag out, bend etc
As noted, even with the furnace going full time it can get cold. Have crtains etc drawn to keep the warmth in. Single pains with frost over!
also as noted, if reasonably permanant spot, you can put plywood, straw bales etc to make a skirt under to keep it warmer under you to a degree, so you should be warmer above.......
Big issue, i could go home 50 miles away towing the trailer to dry out, warm up, dump the tanks, altho some times it took longest 14 days to melt. Then again, its usually not below freezing in greater seatlle, but we do get a week or two with temps no higher than 32F.....
I would want to be starting the adventure a month or so ago myself, so you are preping in warmer temps etc....

Good luck.

marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/21 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I've boondocked at -37 c (-34 f). Please surf to the full time forum and the sticky winter camping thread.

I'm able to heat 100% electrically at those temperatures. It does require using more than one shore power cord, if in a 30 amp RV.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

lpranger467

Traverse City

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/21 01:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What brand do you have if you dont mind

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

We have used our current camper down to 2 degrees f, and we were nice and warm inside. We were in a boondocking spot for a couple of weeks, and could run a generator whenever we wanted. The only problem we had was we lost fresh water to the kitchen of our 5er for an hour or two with 35 mph plus winds.

When I said we were nice and warm, you have to understand that our 5er is built and insulated better than most. I would not have tried that with a camper built in Indiana. I wanted to test ours, and my wife was game, knowing it might get miserable at some point, and it really didn't. The difference is, we had a house 45 minutes away that we could go to, you will not have that option. That changes everything.

Whenever I have been to your area, you don't seem to get as cold as we do, but cold snaps can happen and change everything.

lpranger467

Traverse City

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/21 01:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are goint to try to build a small cabin (on piers due to frost) just as quickly as we can. Figured I can frame it in a week or so, use metal roof for now and pop a wood burning stove inside and mainly sleep there. I think I will still have atleast 2 months in a trailer though. I'm now leaning towards just getting a non-slide out as that its cheaper, and I figure less seals to leak.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/21 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IDman wrote:

There is a reason that RV parks and CGs close in the winter. The same reason is why RV owners winterize their rigs.

Be realistic and rent an apartment.

Hmmmm. That's pretty much what I said . . . before my post got removed. What gives here? Did somebody find my suggestion of a more sensible alternative (from a former Michigander, no less) offensive or something?

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/21 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most, but not all, RV parks close for the winter. Some see winter as a business opportunity.
My family stayed in this one in a Class A (1970s) for 2 weeks one Christmas.

Tiger Run RV Resort in Breckinridge CO (at ~8,000ft).

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lpranger467 wrote:

We are goint to try to build a small cabin (on piers due to frost) just as quickly as we can. Figured I can frame it in a week or so, use metal roof for now and pop a wood burning stove inside and mainly sleep there. I think I will still have atleast 2 months in a trailer though. I'm now leaning towards just getting a non-slide out as that its cheaper, and I figure less seals to leak.

Put the roof and walls over and around the camper. Vent the furnace out the roof.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> winter camping advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.